Rattle coming from front - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 8 times
Hello,

Today I went for a little ride and noticed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from around the exhaust to steering shaft. I think it is the exhaust but just want to make sure it’s nothing major. I’ve done some research and people are also saying that it could be the cam chain. It is probably also worth mentioning that it only rattles when I’m Reving it up/accelerating. (1986 Honda trx350 btw)

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4208 times
Garage
does your model have the decompression lever on the top right side of rocker box ?, if so , is it loose ?. not many cam chains on that model rattle, but !!..it very well could be a worn cam chain !!. being an '86 ?, its prob never been changed !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
does your model have the decompression lever on the top right side of rocker box ?, if so , is it loose ?. not many cam chains on that model rattle, but !!..it very well could be a worn cam chain !!. being an '86 ?, its prob never been changed !..lol.
Does a decompression lever have a spring around it and a wire going to it? Because is so it does. The more I listen to it the more I think the sound is coming from outside the motor but that’s just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just started it and warmed it up for a bit and the sound stopped once it was warmed up... but I also noticed a shaking noise when reving down after it was warmed up...

Now I’m really confused?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Hondatrx350 View Post
Quote:
I just started it and warmed it up for a bit and the sound stopped once it was warmed up... but I also noticed a shaking noise when reving down after it was warmed up...

Now Iím really confused?
noise stopped once warmed up ?, this tells me the valves need attention. shaking noise ?, like a whirling ..then clunk ?, this is the clutch one-way centrifugal clutch bearing.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I’m really confused?
noise stopped once warmed up ?, this tells me the valves need attention. shaking noise ?, like a whirling ..then clunk ?, this is the clutch one-way centrifugal clutch bearing.
I just replaced the one way starter clutch/one way bearing if that is what you’re referring too, used a oem one too. I remember hearing a whirling sound but not a clunk.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now Iím really confused?
I just replaced the one way starter clutch/one way bearing if that is what youíre referring too, used a oem one too. I remember hearing a whirling sound but not a clunk.
starter clutch and centrifugal one-way bearing is TWO different bearings and two different sides...lol. starter clutch is on left side, centrifugal clutch one-way bearing is on right side.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:04 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1279 times
Quote:
Hello,

Today I went for a little ride and noticed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from around the exhaust to steering shaft. I think it is the exhaust but just want to make sure itís nothing major. Iíve done some research and people are also saying that it could be the cam chain. It is probably also worth mentioning that it only rattles when Iím Reving it up/accelerating. (1986 Honda trx350 btw)

Any ideas?

Check the exhaust protector and drive shaft coveróif the bolts are missing they will rattle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30400974-6D75-49A9-A99B-93017D4A9CDC.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	780.4 KB
ID:	136076  

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I’m really confused?
I just replaced the one way starter clutch/one way bearing if that is what you’re referring too, used a oem one too. I remember hearing a whirling sound but not a clunk.
starter clutch and centrifugal one-way bearing is TWO different bearings and two different sides...lol. starter clutch is on left side, centrifugal clutch one-way bearing is on right side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Today I went for a little ride and noticed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from around the exhaust to steering shaft. I think it is the exhaust but just want to make sure it’s nothing major. I’ve done some research and people are also saying that it could be the cam chain. It is probably also worth mentioning that it only rattles when I’m Reving it up/accelerating. (1986 Honda trx350 btw)

Any ideas?

Check the exhaust protector and drive shaft cover—if the bolts are missing they will rattle.
Noticed it only rattles at a certain rpm, about 1/4 throttle if that gives you an idea
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I’m really confused?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Quote:
Hello,

Any ideas?

Check the exhaust protector and drive shaft cover—if the bolts are missing they will rattle.
Sorry for wasting everyone’s time... it was in fact the exhaust protector, the bolt wasn’t loose but it was rattling so I put my hand on it and stopped. Still don’t know why I could hear a whirling and shaking noise from the top end though...

Thanks for the help
Goober and misterclean59 like this.

Last edited by 86Hondatrx350; 04-26-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in