Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodsruner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 5 times
TRX300FW Saving my Starter

Always trying!

This is the original 1994 starter. Iíve replaced brushes a few times. But the big problem is the brushes run dirty and generate lots of dirt. The brushes then stick, giving erratic starting. Then finally the starter dies when the brushes no longer make contact. So that was my main problem. But inspecting the starter I found that the front large oíring broke in 2 and it was allowing dirt into the front bearing area. I had to clean the area up. I think the front needle bearing is shot. Going to call HONDA tomorrow to see if parts are available.

Pictures show starter in gear housing. Just pull it back and out. Starter with white homemade insulator, no longer available from HONDA, another homemade one inside starter. Mark your starter so you can put it back together the right way. And my problem, dirt and dirty brushes stuck in position. The left one I extended and the dirty right one is stuck open. Both were stuck open. Thus no starter action. Cleaned up, lubricated and starter running. But not as smooth as I think the needle bearing is shot.

BTW, one quick starter test you can do is a continuity test between the positive lead post and the starter case. You should have continuity. Mine didnít. So it had to be pulled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31E4F9BE-5350-4415-86ED-836AAC626295.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	735.8 KB
ID:	135918   Click image for larger version

Name:	E14E1F0B-43DE-44DE-BCCF-77373DD9ECE2.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	769.1 KB
ID:	135920   Click image for larger version

Name:	E03E2973-26F3-410F-8C8A-C77CF0A364E9.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	667.5 KB
ID:	135922   Click image for larger version

Name:	5E121FF1-5E05-41F9-AAA0-4B12000D5BA0.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	648.4 KB
ID:	135924   Click image for larger version

Name:	941BB094-216C-4E9E-892E-8E6246A6645C.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	764.3 KB
ID:	135926  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Liked: 124 times
I don't think Honda is going to have a needle bearing for you. If you can find a bearing part number marked on the bearing, search the internet for a replacement. Try eBay. If you can't find a part number on the bearing, measure it up (OD, ID, Width) and search various needle bearing manufacturers to see if you can find one to match. In all likelihood, the needle bearing is made to metric dimensions.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3235 times
You can buy a cheap china knockoff kit on ebay and get that nose bearing and o-ring and other rubber & plastic parts. But that commutator is shot from running crappy china brushes against it. It needs to be put on a lathe and resurfaced, then polished with oiled sandpaper and reassembled using OEM quality brushes. Honda still sells both brush kits for that starter.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho.../starter-motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 5 times
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure why this thread does not appear on the FourTrax main page. Had to search to find it.

I havenít found a part number but as suggested I may measure bearing and try to find a replacement.

The commutator is in bad shape. It was caused by the brushes. However, the brush sets I have used were HONDA parts purchased from local dealer. I, too, am surprised at how bad they have been.

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3235 times
Honda brushes work great and provide long life on a commutator in reasonable condition. Yours is not useable though, and it was probably too late to reuse the 1st time it was taken apart. You can resurface it as long as it cleans up within a limit of .015" in total cuts on the lathe. If the damages are deeper than that the armature will need to be replaced.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:42 AM

Liked: 4 times
Garage
Actually, that comm does not look too bad, at least from what can be seen. Lathe turning is a radical step, and reduces the life of a starter by quite a lot. Turning is a last resort. If there are no deep grooves in the copper, I would not turn it. A quick buff with fine emery clothe will clean it up. DO NOT allow anyone without comm turning experience turn your comm. And, the slots in the comm MUST be cleaned out after turning/buffing. I do this with a ground down piece of hacksaw blade, carefully.

As a tech in a electric motor shop for 20 years, I cleaned up thousands of DC motor comms in my time. Actually lathe turning a comm was a final resort to get a usable comm.

2003 Rincon 650 w/mods
2003 Rancher 350 w/mods
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 AM

Liked: 4 times
Garage
Caution!

Precautionary note: Do not take emery clothe or any other abrasive to a comm unless you have a lathe or other means of turning the armature with consistency. To do so can result in an out-of-round comm, and very short life for the brushes. This may be the cause of your problems, an out-of-round comm. It will bounce the brushes and cause arcs between brushes and the comm, and again, short brush life.

BTW, good job fabricating the insulator.
misterclean59 likes this.

2003 Rincon 650 w/mods
2003 Rancher 350 w/mods

Last edited by Woodsruner; 04-24-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: added info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 489 times
one of the brushes, looks shorter, then the other one.. that is a problem.
there is a lot of black in the contact's area. armature, commutator,. its been a while.. have to look it up. i sanded a many of them, perhaps lightly buffed, and you have to be even or you get major brush problems.
the space's between the brush and copper contacts should be cleaned out.
as far as being black, i read the other night, is is not so important. the spaces in between, maybe another matter.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode