14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman View Post
Ok gentleman. This appears to be my problem. I put this coil on my running Kymco 250 and the spark is super weak or either non existent. This is with the same battery that gave me nothing on the Honda. When I ohm out the coil on the contacts, it reads .08. Could a faulty CDI kill a coil? Where can I get a replacement?
Refer to the service manual—it does list the resistance values for each circuit check of coil. You’re going to check the winding, the cable without the cap and the cable with the cap.
You didn’t mention what setting used on your ohmeter—.08MOhm is the same as 80 Kohm—so just keep in mind you will need to know which scale settings apply.
Here’s one more discouragement for you to please not swap your parts around from your kimco to the Honda. Hard to tell what’s compatible and you run the risk of disabling both quads.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 7 times
Gentlemen:

I tried the replacement coil and still have no spark. I'm out of options. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it to a shop.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4279 times
Garage
Quote:
Gentlemen:

I tried the replacement coil and still have no spark. I'm out of options. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it to a shop.
don't bother taking it to a honda dealership !, they wont touch anything over 10 years old !!!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Gentlemen:

don't bother taking it to a honda dealership !, they wont touch anything over 10 years old !!!.
I may try one more shot at troubleshooting this weekend. I will write down all of my findings and report back here. There's a couple of non dealer shops that work on older models, but I'd rather fix myself. It seems like it can't be too bad....
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 AM

Liked: 423 times
Is the replacement coil OEM?

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanningjr View Post
Is the replacement coil OEM?
It is. I bought it from one of the ATV repair shops in my area. It was in a Rick's Motorsports box, which appears to be a reseller of Honda parts. Sorry... the CDI was from Rick's Motor sports.

The coil came from powersportsnation, which was recommended by another forum member. It was used.
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Liked: 124 times
Polaraman, if I were you, I would do one simple test which will reveal a lot. You will need an old-style analog volt meter that has a needle instead of a digital readout. Set it up to read about 120 volts DC, and touch the positive lead of the volt meter to the black/yellow lead on the ignition coil. Touch the other lead to ground. Now turn the engine over with the starter and observe your volt meter. The needle on the volt meter should swing back and forth between zero and 100 volts or so. Do you see these pulses or not? Pulses or no pulses will reveal whether the problem is ahead of or after the ignition coil. This helps isolate the problem considerably.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

I'm back for an update. I FINALLY got my 300 back going. Here's a quick run down.

After following everyone's recommendation here initially, I swapped the CDI with a Honda CDI. Got it home and still no spark. I swapped in a used ignition coil and no spark. At that point I gave up.. which is where i was earlier.

I took it to a guy locally who works on them on the side and he recommended that I swap the stator. Bought a stator and put it on and STILL no spark. He ended up taking my four wheeler back to the guy that sold me the CDI and come to find out that the "new" CDI that I bought from the guy was bad! I wasted lots of time and money chasing down a problem I shouldn't have had to if I would have gotten a good CDI in the first place. He wouldn't honor that the CDI i bought from him was defective. So I'm currently running a used CDI and it's running great right now. The next time, I will go to the dealer to source a CDI instead of trusting a local independent reseller.

Lesson learned.... Thanks everyone for your help!
Goober likes this.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Liked: 124 times
Quote:
Gentlemen,

I'm back for an update. I FINALLY got my 300 back going. Here's a quick run down.

After following everyone's recommendation here initially, I swapped the CDI with a Honda CDI. Got it home and still no spark. I swapped in a used ignition coil and no spark. At that point I gave up.. which is where i was earlier.

I took it to a guy locally who works on them on the side and he recommended that I swap the stator. Bought a stator and put it on and STILL no spark. He ended up taking my four wheeler back to the guy that sold me the CDI and come to find out that the "new" CDI that I bought from the guy was bad! I wasted lots of time and money chasing down a problem I shouldn't have had to if I would have gotten a good CDI in the first place. He wouldn't honor that the CDI i bought from him was defective. So I'm currently running a used CDI and it's running great right now. The next time, I will go to the dealer to source a CDI instead of trusting a local independent reseller.

Lesson learned.... Thanks everyone for your help!
Even better would be to do some diagnostic work instead of throwing parts at it.

2015 TRX500 Foreman
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1411 times
It’s hard to diagnose a CDI about the only way you can isolate one is to swap the quad lol!
Good to hear you got it back running.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode