My oil change goes terribly wrong, long post - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Liked: 283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
Let's just say if we hadn't talked about words we shouldn't use here there would be a few tonight. Decided to change the oil on my 1998 Foreman 450ES today. Everything went well, I drained the oil and pulled the oil filter cover off. I wasn't nuts about the large o ring and went to a few places to see if I could find one. No luck. So I proceeded to put everything back together, plug back in the drain and placed the o ring and new filter and spring back. I was kinda worried there would be a leak from around the filter housing, but tightened everything down. With my mind on the possible leak I started the engine, not paying attention I had not put oil in yet!! Here the 4 letter words would be inserted.. Probably ran 15-20 seconds or so, never shifted out of neutral, before I came to my senses. Shut down and added 2 quarts of ATV oil, restarted for a minute or more, shut down and added another .1 quart to top off.

Started again, engine sounded ok, shifted into reverse to back up, then shifted to 1st to test out. Went down the road a little and not shifting well, trying to upshift from 2 to 3 and showing 3 but never really shifting and showing 2. Got up to 5 but again not shifting well. It ended up dying on the way back with the dashes showing and not restarting. I was able to use the buttons to get back to neutral and started again. So now upshifting is iffy, downshifting seems fine. My real problem is when upshifting I get some shuttering when giving throttle, probably clutch, like it's trying to connect. It was doing this next symptom before the oil change, but when upshifting sometimes it takes off in the next gear but its like overdrive kicks in and takes off faster. Also before and after when shutting down there is something internal that keeps spinning then catches and stops. So think things weren't great with the clutch before but running for a short time with no oil made it worse.

So you can call me any name you want I have it coming!! But does it sound like I am going to need some clutch work sooner than later?? I will try to add more details if needed.
Let's just call it an "oil drain", not an "oil change."
bcsman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 223 times
Let's just call it an "oil drain", not an "oil change."

Ya that would cover it pretty well, just glad I didn't try to take it for a long check drive, wouldn't have been too long....
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I am trying to help the OP prepare his ES system for long term survival @shadetree. Everything you just posted runs counter to those efforts in all my experiences with ES systems.
how about this, i'll let you handle all the es troubles from here on out, deal ?..lol. i'll stay out of all es issues :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:22 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 488 times
im probably not catching the full drift of this thread tonight, as i had a few buds tonight, an may well be lubed.
did ya get around to the shift motor, replace the grease with lithem synthetic, for the gears? how old is the shift motor, and how old is the battery, plus, how well does it charge
most likely off base tonight, buds, food for thought, with those off base as well.
misterclean59 likes this.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Supporting Member

Liked: 11 times
You guys are so good, I still learn from this Forum even if I am as old as dirt! Glad I found this place!!
_Wilson_ and Rincon1 like this.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 04-08-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
You guys are so good, I still learn from this Forum even if I am as old as dirt! Glad I found this place!!
I've gone from purchasing my first ATV last summer and knowing nothing about them to rebuilding the front end of my motor. Thanks to the help from members here I completed something I never would have guessed I could do. So yes it seems no matter what question you have about your quad there is somebody here that can lend some help!!!

1998 Honda Foreman 450ES
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 488 times
shifter motor

the first time i tried to get the shift motor, i found that the frame was in the way. has been ever since. i took the motor mount bolts out. i pryed the atv motor up a bit, and it came out easy. when i pryed it up. i stuck a wedge it there to hold the atv motor up, whilst i got the shift motor out.
i put the shift motor back in. then later went to the parts store for a new brush. i figured i would use the atv a while longer, ,till i put the brush in.
never happened. the brush wore down, till it ate the rotor. , , ,
still got the brush..

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 04-12-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: icon's
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 50 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsman View Post
When you say adjust the change clutch loosen the 14 mm nut and adjust the screw?
Yes, see the attached image... back out the screw about two turns max, put some grease or oil on the screw threads then turn it in until resistance is barely felt. Double check that the screw is not binding in the case making you think it has stopped... Once you are sure, back it out 1/4 turn and hold it there while you tighten the locknut.

The adjustment screw might be found seized up in the cover. If so don't ruin the soft screw trying to loosen it. Spray it down with penetrating oil and smack it with a plastic hammer to break the corroded threads bond. Or hollar at us... :-)
As retro says, this is important. It took about two hours to free mine off gently winding back and forth with plenty of lube. Don't rush this bit, if it's seized then get yourself comfortable and stay as long as it takes to do it properly.
I had exactly the same experience with the 450es I overhauled. Was driving me nuts! I released the adjusting screw locknut all the way out till it was level with the end of the screw, I found this aided support of the screwdriver in the adjusting screw slot & helped avoid splaying damage. After a few gentle taps on the end of the adjusting screw it released & turned perfectly. I've now covered over the locknut & screw with an RTV type sealant to help protect it from the elements.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkymon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodp View Post
Quote:

Yes, see the attached image... back out the screw about two turns max, put some grease or oil on the screw threads then turn it in until resistance is barely felt. Double check that the screw is not binding in the case making you think it has stopped... Once you are sure, back it out 1/4 turn and hold it there while you tighten the locknut.

The adjustment screw might be found seized up in the cover. If so don't ruin the soft screw trying to loosen it. Spray it down with penetrating oil and smack it with a plastic hammer to break the corroded threads bond. Or hollar at us... :-)
As retro says, this is important. It took about two hours to free mine off gently winding back and forth with plenty of lube. Don't rush this bit, if it's seized then get yourself comfortable and stay as long as it takes to do it properly.
I had exactly the same experience with the 450es I overhauled. Was driving me nuts! I released the adjusting screw locknut all the way out till it was level with the end of the screw, I found this aided support of the screwdriver in the adjusting screw slot & helped avoid splaying damage. After a few gentle taps on the end of the adjusting screw it released & turned perfectly. I've now covered over the locknut & screw with an RTV type sealant to help protect it from the elements.
you don't use rtv sealant on anything !. that nut has a washer under it, and an o-ring inside the hole on the inside to keep oil from getting out. some good lube like wd-40, or pb blaster sprayed under the nut is all you need.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3222 times
I have a bold confession to make... I use Ultra Black gasket maker on all sorts of joints/things on Honda ATVs and everything else I work on/maintain. I have been using automotive RTV gasket sealants ever since they started getting good with them back in the '70s. There are many places (many added-value benefits) where that stuff is appropriate on ATVs.

Like any other product ya gotta use common sense with it, AND use it sparingly... a thin film on clean parts is all thats necessary in most instances. I don't use it between rigid motor cases or anywhere that it can get loose and interfere with the lubrication system, thats dumb and unnecessary, that's improper use of the product.

But I'm not afraid to use it anywhere else that I feel is appropriate. I'm darn good at sealing things up right though, I've got an awful lot of experience. As Fel-Pro used to print on all of their gasket packages, "Sealing is a Science". Take that statement seriously and most technical folks can become experts with those products.
Chalkymon likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode