swapping motors - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

1Likes
  • 1 Post By shadetree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

swapping motors

I have a '88 2x4 fourtrax 300. The motor runs great, but needs some work elsewhere. I found a cheap 4x4 300 fourtrax that doesn't run, not sure of the year looks like maybe a 1992. Would the engines swap over with no problems? I would like to know if this would work before I buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Liked: 3330 times
You can swap the motors, but you can't make the 2wd motor 4wd. You can swap the 2wd motor into a 4x4 frame, but you won't have a front driveshaft, and thus won't have 4x4.

What's wrong with your 2wd bike, and how cheap is the 4x4 bike?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
You can swap the motors, but you can't make the 2wd motor 4wd. You can swap the 2wd motor into a 4x4 frame, but you won't have a front driveshaft, and thus won't have 4x4.

What's wrong with your 2wd bike, and how cheap is the 4x4 bike?
ummmmmmm..yes, you can make the 2wd into a 4wd motor !!. thing is, yu'll need to split the motor, and change out the rear output drive shaft main shaft. and the left side cover. he'll run into a problem with the front frame for the differential though, as there is no welded nuts for the differential to bolt to.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2116 times
Differences in 300’s are year depending between 88-92 and 93-00.
Front of frame is different, fender fitment, exhaust mount location, exhaust, front carrier, carbs, CDI and wiring harness, A Arms, front shocks and shafts.Those are the main ones, I’m sure someone can add to this also.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:20 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7054 times
Garage
I know making a 4wd engine from a 2wd engine can be done , I have a 4wd 300 engine that was built this way if you have the parts from the 4wd engine to swop onto the 2wd engine , but I wouldn't call it an easy swop

Just throwing it out there , another thing that is possible with the 300 and is a part of the above swop over , a TRX250 engine will fit on a 300 2wd frame if you change the out put shaft , so as to make the swingarm's drive shaft tube line up with the engine output , which is way you need to change the output shaft on the 2wd engine swop above ------------------ I was told that it can be done without splitting the case , if you are careful and lay the engine on it's side you can pull the output shaft and everything stays in place inside the case , then carefully slide the 300 output shaft in without anything falling apart inside ------ I remember when I tried to do it with a spare 250 engine , it sounded like a pin ball machine going off from all the gears falling into the case and then you have to figure where everything goes , I think it is safer to just split the case so everything stays put ------ I have had a 300 with a 250 engine that someone else had swopped , I had that 300 for a while before I figured out it was a 250 engine , still have the engine but a valve hit the piston , I knew it had a different feel to it , much more peppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I just found out last night that the 4x4 got sold anyway. But this could be helpful in the future.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7054 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8403 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I just found out last night that the 4x4 got sold anyway. But this could be helpful in the future.

Let it be helpful in : if you want a 4wd then get a 4wd and don't buy or even get a 2wd free in hopes of swopping it over to 4wd

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode