Honda ATV Forum

Honda ATV Forum (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/)
-   Honda FourTrax (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-fourtrax/)
-   -   TRX300 Carb Rebuild (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-fourtrax/119242-trx300-carb-rebuild.html)

Goober 03-14-2018 10:48 PM

TRX300 Carb Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a junked VE90E today as a rebuild project. The carb on my 93 is a bit temperamental after 25 yearsóit needs a cleaning but I wanted one to swap out with it. So $24 wasnít a bad deal.

Iíve never rebuilt one of these but looks simple enough. First thing I did was soak it down with some deep creep. Maybe tomorrow night Iíll wipe it down and start breaking loose the screws. I have a Shindy gasket kit on the way.

fishfiles 03-15-2018 04:27 AM

I may be wrong , but looking at my list of carbs for the different years of the 300 , I think the 93 carb is a VE90A , not a VE90E , don't know if it makes a difference , maybe as simple as jets are different ----I like Deep Creep by Sea Foam , good stuff !

Oh , the VE90E doesn't show to fit any year 300 , I have the VE #'s from 91-2000 , I don't have the numbers for 88-90 , it might be one of those years , I do know the 88 was by itself and the 89-90 are the same carb

Goober 03-15-2018 11:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks FF. My manual says it should be the right one.
It’s stamped VE90Eagg and mine
Is stamped VE90Eagk so I’m thinking it’s an older carb.

I got it completely disassembled; it was very dirty but not too badly stained or worn. The bowl seal was crispy and there was backfire soot in the carb throat! Sofar I’ve only used hot water and Dawn dish soap

I found the pilot jet was incorrectly with no washer under the oring. The primer bulb was also crumbled.

I may have questions about the plugs and passages on this unit but only after I review the manual

retro 03-16-2018 04:26 AM

I sensed that a potential sticky may be blooming since your 1st post Goober. Forewarned is fair-warned, no? :-)

SamUK 03-16-2018 07:00 AM

One difference I knownof between early and later carbs is the choke plunger, the earlier carbs had a shorter, larger diameter plunger whereas the later variant had a longer, smaller diameter plunger.

Goober 03-16-2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retro (Post 1168250)
I sensed that a potential sticky may be blooming since your 1st post Goober. Forewarned is fair-warned, no? :-)

I like the sticky the FlyingW posted on the trike site! I will look at the stickies we have here as Iím sure the more established members may already have one. Maybe not specifically for VE90 carbs. I canít go as in depth as him (yet), maybe share some cleaning techniques and learn others. Like his lesson on media blasting was excellent

Goober 03-16-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamUK (Post 1168378)
One difference I knownof between early and later carbs is the choke plunger, the earlier carbs had a shorter, larger diameter plunger whereas the later variant had a longer, smaller diameter plunger.

Thanks Sam great point! I wanna know how that sucker works; I see passages that are drilled and plugged in the bowl, leading to the carb body. So after I study the principles of operation I may come back to the members for some questions about the priming feature.

Goober 03-16-2018 06:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my carb kit and Parts ready for cleaning. I usually use Berryman Chemtool carb cleaner but they were out so I picked up Berryman Chemtool fuel injector cleaner. It worked great on the bowl. I want to soak the body but not in the same solvent I used for the bowl. Wow dissolving the stains instantly!

Goober 03-17-2018 08:47 AM

All done cleaning this carb except for blowing out the remaining small passages. A few conditions that might have led to the owner parting out this quad:

Carb was very dirty
Carbon deposits in throat (scorched)
Primer bulb diaphragm was crumbled
Starter valve oring worn smooth
Starter circuit plug missing
Pilot jet missing the washer under the oring

misterclean59 03-17-2018 03:32 PM

Goober, one minor correction. that is the fuel screw not the pilot jet. The pilot jet is next to the main jet inside the float chamber. Hope this helps bro