1989 Honda Fourtrax 300 Carb Settings & Tire Issues. - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Question 1989 Honda Fourtrax 300 Carb Settings & Tire Issues.

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to appologize to everyone for the mini novel I'm about to write... So here goes:

As in the title, I have a 1989 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. It has a few issues that I'm hoping one of your brilliant minds will be able to help me with.

1 - The carb is wayyyy out of adjustment. The guy I bought this quad from royally f***ed it up trying to get it to run better. I'm willing to bet it was set up pretty good before he messed with it and it just needed a good cleaning, but since I know nothing about how to clean or set up a carb, I'm most likely talking out my backside. I did put some of that magical Seafoam fuel treatment mixed with Chevron 04 octane premium (no ethanol in it!) through the bike and that seems to have done wonders for it already, however at random times, the engine surges like the throttle is being held around 40-60%. After a while, it settles down again. Once in a while it won't start at all, and after I've pulled the spark plug out and cleaned it up, put it back in and she fires right up instantly. The tip of the plug is black when I remove it. Not sure if that's carbon, or oil leakage. I'll try and get a picture to make my description a bit clearer. My hope with this problem is that someone who knows better than I can point me in the right direction to figure this out as it's driving me bonkers.

2 - It has no front brakes. The wheel cylinders that push on the brake pads in the front drums are seized.. If I can't find a front wheel drum to disc conversion kit for this quad, I'm planning on ripping the front brakes out entirely and letting the front wheels freewheel as I've got a rear drum to disc conversion kit from SuperATV to put on, which brings me to my next couple of problems. I'm hoping someone knows where I can get a kit for this quad to convert the brakes from drum to disc. If there isn't a kit, but someone has done it, can I be pointed towards that person so I can learn how to do it and what parts I'll need to accomplish my goals?

3 - The rear brakes. They work, but not the way I want them to. As I mentioned in point #2, I have a SuperATV rear wheel drum to disc conversion kit that I'm going to put on. It has both hydraulic and mechanical brake connections. Unless I can find a front conversion kit, I'm planning on connecting the front hydraulic brake lever to the rear disc caliper in addition to connecting the rear mechanical brake lever and the mechanical foot brake as well. This way, no matter which brake I pull, the quad should stop - or at least, I'm hoping it will work that way. Once this rear disc brake is installed, SuperATV claims the stock rear wheel won't fit properly, which brings me to my final point. Hopefully someone can offer some advice to help smooth out the problem for me.

4 - Tires and Wheels

- Wheels - The SuperATV disc conversion kit is not supposed to work with the stock 11x7 wheels it has on it. Furthermore, finding replacement tires for it is turning out to be a bear of a task as the choices available for the front (23x8-11) and rear (24*9-11) are very limited, so I've decided to go with a set of 12x7 wheels. ITP makes a ITP Black Delta Steel wheel that's supposed to bold right onto the quad. It's also supposed to clear the rear disc brake from SuperATV. If anyone can confirm this, I'd be very appreciative! The other reason I have for going with the 12" rim is that it opens up a plethora of tires to choose from, making replacements much easier..

- Tires - How big of a tire can I put on this quad? I have a 2016 Honda Rubicon 500 DCT EPS IRS 4x4 that I went 1" larger tire size all the way around (26*9-12 fronts, 26*11-12 rears) on 12" rims w/out issue. Because of the 1" tire size difference, I was thinking I'd put a pair of 26x9-12's on the front with a pair of 27x11-12's on the rear for a little bit more ground clearance. Will this work without borkin' my transmission/transfercase?

- Offsets - I read somewhere that I have to watch out for offsets. I know what a 4" + 3" offset on a 7" wheel is and apparently, that's what's on my quad right now. The ITP steel replacement I linked to show a 5+2 offset for the fronts and a 2+5 offset for the rears.. I was wondering if I could just use the 2+5 offset rear wheels on all 4 corners??

So, there's my saga. Anyone have any suggestions? Can Someone possibly confirm some of my suspicions/concerns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3155 times
Lets take it one step at a time... carb first.

Do you have a copy of the service manual yet? If not, you can get one HERE, you'll need it to disassemble, set up and reassemble your carb.

Next up... is your carb a genuine Honda original or has it been replaced with an aftermarket carb? If original, has it been rebuilt using an aftermarket carb kit? I must ask because most of the carbs and kits people buy nowadays are china made garbage and will never work right. Verify that your carb is original and has all of the original parts inside it... then fix it by following the manual. If you have any aftermarket china made parts, replace all of them with OEM.

Keep us posted if ya can...
Goober likes this.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you retro for the link to the service manual.. I'm downloading it now and shall peruse it on the weekend when I'm done my week of 14 hour shifts.. I will endeavor to keep you posted, and I'll be taking pictures along the way as well.
retro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Cool, love the prospect of maybe seeing some photos... :-)

Check out fishfiles' Blue 300 project thread if you get some time... If I remember right he is putting a SuperATV disc brake conversion on the front of his bike.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6785 times
Garage
first thing I notice is either you or your atv are not from the USA ,there was no 1989 300 4x4 in the USA , so if you are out the country then it may be expensive to ship the disc conversion kit , Super ATV or Highlifter makes them , I just put a SuperATV kit on my 92 300 , they list for $229 , as far as fitting your 89 , I could give you the phone number and you give them a call
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4725.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	90738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4717.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	90746  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:02 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
as far as tire size goes , I run 26x12x12 on the rear and 26x10x12 on the front , I run aluminum rims so I run 1 inch spacers on the front so the calipers of the disc conversion don't hit the rims , you can grind the corner off the caliper and not use the spacers , this grind mod is sanctioned by SuperATV now and is stated in the instructions , the 26's are the limits with going to a gear reduction
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
as far as I know there is no rear disc conversion for a 300 rear end , could you link me to what you got , I think what you got is not going to fit
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
as far as I know there is no rear disc conversion for a 300 rear end , could you link me to what you got , I think what you got is not going to fit
Here's the rear disc conversion kit I got from SuperATV. I live in Canada on the BC coast, but ordered the parts from a Canadian reseller in Calgary, Alberta.

https://www.superatv.com/honda-utili...isc-brake-kit#
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwapp View Post
Here's the rear disc conversion kit I got from SuperATV. I live in Canada on the BC coast, but ordered the parts from a Canadian reseller in Calgary, Alberta.

https://www.superatv.com/honda-utili...isc-brake-kit#
From that link:

Fitment

Fits:
Honda 2x4 Utility ATV's with a 12" or larger wheel and rear drum brakes
Honda 4x4 Utility ATV's with a 12" or larger wheel and rear drum brakes

Does NOT Fit:
Models with drum brakes on swing arm
2014+ 420 Models
2014+ 500 Models

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I was told by Superatv that kit doesn't fit on a Honda 300 , the brake drum has to be out against the rim for it to work , did you try to fit it yet , I am very curious

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode