LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #921 of 933 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7041 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Fish i used some old storm widow mesh/screen over my intake tube, we have very aggressive mud dobber s around here! That will cure the pest problem.
Sounds like an idea I may have to try , I wonder if any other of my snorkels are inhabited by unwanted wasp nest , wonder if the screen will create any obstruction of air , snorkels seem temperamental
_Wilson_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 933 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
Good point, i keep up with you fellas who snorkel intakes, but i myself never have delt with a snorkelled, unit, on that note air still has to pass through filter media ... So I'd hazard a guess it wouldn't cause a tuning issue, maybe add the mesh/screen to the very start of the snorkel ?? Then if she does ack up, just remove it ??
fishfiles likes this.
post #923 of 933 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
One way I have experimented after doing a snorkel job and the engine is giving running problems , you take a shop rag , stretch it over the inlet hole one time and tape it with duct tape , and see how it runs , not a good difference , then double the rag up and try , 4 times fold and try again , the restriction will eventually make the engine run right , I seen my buddies Yamaha took 8 wraps before it got right , he didn't re-jet , he just stuck a orifice in the end of the pipe
_Wilson_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #924 of 933 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Just a tid bit to finish , the front light wiring , don't know what I want to do , right now the two flush mounts are on low bean and when you go to high beam the flush mounts go out and the 20 inch bar comes on , might want a toggle on the bar

This is my best 300 , most fun to ride and does the best in the mud , it has 54% reduction EBC clutch , Wiseco 10.5 piston , disc conversion front , 2 inch lift , 3 inch stretch , 27 out laws with hub paddles , wheel spacers and longer wheel studs , 12 wide in the rear and 10 in the front , shims added in the front diff , Worx nitrogen shocks all around , 250 rear end , brake delete , still don't have a 4x2 , yet , I have heard [people say the 1st gen bikes pull better , whether it is from the slightly longer wheel base , couple more horsepower , I don't know , but this is my favorite ----------- this 92 just got a few upgrades , a 250 DID cam chain and brand new NOS 250 sprocket ( thanks to Retro ) . fresher TRX250Fourtrax cam , a fresh 300 head that was redone with some grinding to the ports and 250 Fourtrax valves , 88 exhaust pipe and slip on header ( type unknown ) , Rick's CDI , newer OEM alarm box ,sub wirng harness ( thanks Jeep ) , temp light works now , new chain guides , automotive fan added to oil cooler with a toggle switch , Super Winch 3500 winch with KFI plate that was modified , custom fairlead , circuit breaker for winch , 2 part snatch block , redone the snorkel to get at free wheel on winch , flush mount led light mod , new 20 inch led bar , maybe a few other things I forgot and working on a 1000 watt Pyle amp , 4 speakers Rebel pod speakers and mp3 player set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9082.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	138608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9071.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	138610  
machinecrook, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #925 of 933 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I rode Sock-Ra-Blue last weekend , seems all is good , shifts super smooth , no ticks or chatters , the muffler sounds good - what ever muffler that is , not too loud , no drawback/backfire on deceleration , but I skimped on a new exhaust crushable washer and used the old one , a very little bit of a leak at the exhaust flange , got the washer ordered ----- didn't get to try the winch out , but that is a good thing ----- I really need a 4x2 for a 1st gen 300 , don't want to pay the $450 to have it made , or even the $350 to buy one and modify it myself , they say good things come to those that wait , I been in line a long time for this one
_Wilson_, retro and TBRider like this.
post #926 of 933 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I got the bomb dropped on me yesterday , I had that small exhaust leak to deal with , so I took it apart to get ready for the new crush washer which is suppose to be here tomorrow , so I am turning the ratchet on the bottom header bolt , and turning and turning , I couldn't see what was going on from the right side , went to the left side of the bike and found the nut was still on the stud and the stud wouldn't pull out of the flange , because , the aluminum threads of the head came out with the stud , I have this happen before and fixed it with some JBWeld and it is still holding on my red 300 , this time I used the CRC Minute Mend and "glued " the stud back into the hole ,won't know if it is going to work for a while as I am letting it cure till the crush washer comes in

I just put this used head on the engine a couple of weeks ago , the stud was tight in the head , the thread were in great condition , the nut went on the stud with my fingers , when you are messing with a 29 year old atv , stuff happens

Something good did happen yesterday , I burned up a Boss Rebel amp on my 450 from over heating it , so I snorkeled the amp box to help with heat and that seems to be working as it has never shut down again since , so I had bought another radio and used the amp on the 450 , which left me with the 4 speaker pods , so I called Boss Rebel yesterday and told them about it , was lucky to have the Vice President of the company answer the phone , he told me they don't sell the amp separate of the kit , but he is sending me an amp , that is good customer service ----- so now I have everything to install a sound system on this one except the water proof box ------am I rethinking the amp box on this one , maybe a bigger box that will double as a storage container , so I don't have to do any venting of the box
Jeepwm69, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #927 of 933 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Crush washer for the exhaust was waiting for me when I got home , so I stuck it in , the CRC Minute Mend had a couple of days to cure on the exhaust stud that pulled the threads out the head , didn't want to over tighten it and pull it out the head , so broke out the torque wrench , I have been over tightening the studs by the feel of the torque , it is not much ----------- so far so good , it held and didn't pull out , yet , when I get that sucker smoking hot tomorrow will be the test ---worst case , I will have to change out the head if it lets go
retro likes this.
post #928 of 933 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Liked: 3325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Just a tid bit to finish , the front light wiring , don't know what I want to do , right now the two flush mounts are on low bean and when you go to high beam the flush mounts go out and the 20 inch bar comes on , might want a toggle on the bar
Hook the lower pods into your tail light wires, then the 20 inch light bar onto the high beams.

That way the pods are on all the time if the headlight switch is on, so on low beams you have pods, and when you hit high beams both pods and lightbar are on.
fishfiles likes this.
post #929 of 933 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Thanks Jeep , I already wired it up , low beam to the pods in the fender , and high beam to the bar , it is one or the other that is on right now , might rewire it one day ------- the bike ran good yesterday , stud didn't pop out of the exhaust
Jeepwm69 and retro like this.
post #930 of 933 (permalink) Old Today, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Ordered a set of front shocks to replace the Worx nitrogen shocks that are leaking , went with the 07-13 TRX420 4x4 model , found a set of good looking used for $36 with the shipping , have read where this will give a 2 inch lift
Jeepwm69 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode