Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

562Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #831 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6514 times
Garage
Got some time on the blue 300 , went to put the side cover back on and one of the bolt holes was broken at the case , cut a bolt and JBWeld'ed it in like a stud , tried a dry fit and I think it is going to work ----I'm in striking distance to ride this one again soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8658.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	136658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8659.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	136660  
retro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #832 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Things went > not good ---- after getting the engine back together , I don't have the neutral light , the reverse light and the temp light is not lighting up for the few seconds it usually does when the key turned on , the only thing different is I installed the sub-harness I got from Jeep ( thanks Jeep ) , it looked the exact same , part interchange says they are all the same 88-2000 , so I doubt that is a problem ------ so it won't spin from the button , I have the green wire grounded to the block and even tried a jumper wire direct to the battery negative to the green wire , also the spark is there but weak , can barely see it and it is not constant , I did manage to shock myself and it won't pop on ether ------

second problem , which is solved now but wasted a lot of time figuring it out , I jumped the solenoid to try and see if I could get it running without the light lit , it sounded very funny , like the valves were out of adjustment , phit , phit , phit , so after several times of checking the timing mark , piston top dead and readjusting the valves which were all ok , I was scratching my head , the exhaust was still disconnected and while I had my hand in front of the exhaust port while spinning , nothing was coming out , found a mud diver built a huge nest in the exhaust port and had it so blocked up that the compression of the engine wouldn't even blow it out ----used a vacuum cleaner , a screw driver and a small wire brush to clear the port

so right now , none of the dash lights light up and the spark is weak and not 100% , brand new plug
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #833 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 AM

Liked: 3068 times
I hate wiring issues. That harness was off of a parts bike so you might check and make sure the wires are good (test light or multimeter to make sure there isn's a break inside the insulation somewhere). If you're grounding the green wire sounds like you have another issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #834 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
If you're grounding the green wire sounds like you have another issue.
I spent some time on it today

The problem is no ground to the dash light sockets

I have power to the neutral and reverse light sockets when it is in neutral or reverse , so that eliminates a bunch of things , I tested the both light bulbs and they work ------------ the problem is I don't have a ground on either light socket , didn't try the temp light yet but would presume it is the same thing ,no ground --- I guess I need to get the book and see where the ground is coming from , my buddy told me he seen the same thing and it was the diode , I swopped the diode this morning and no difference , but didn't test either diode yet

I just pulled the front rack and fender to access the wiring
post #835 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I figured out the ground problem for the neutral light and to start by the button , and the spark is solid now , the reverse light still doesn't work and the temp light doesn't light when the key is turned on , the problem was a bushing /insert /or part of the male plug was inside the replacement sub-harness and the plug wasn't going all the way in ---- found a hole in my muffler , not going any where , anytime soon , going to most likely go with a slip on type muffler
retro likes this.
post #836 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
The hole in the exhaust is a bummer , the muffler had an exhaust snorkel on it , thought about welding the hole , but after taking an awl and picking around , there are other spots rusted and the after market muffler is thin to start with , it needs a new muffler and the 92 is going to be a little hard to find ---I actually have a 88 on it right now , so I know 88-92 will work ----- Manny would you have a 1st gen muffler
machinecrook likes this.
post #837 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:46 AM

Liked: 276 times
Garage
Tagging @Manny for @fishfiles
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

'95 TRX300FW
post #838 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM

Liked: 3068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
The hole in the exhaust is a bummer , the muffler had an exhaust snorkel on it , thought about welding the hole , but after taking an awl and picking around , there are other spots rusted and the after market muffler is thin to start with , it needs a new muffler and the 92 is going to be a little hard to find ---I actually have a 88 on it right now , so I know 88-92 will work ----- Manny would you have a 1st gen muffler
Wrap the sides of the muffler with sheet metal and hold it in place with hose clamps.
fishfiles likes this.
post #839 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
[QUOTE=Jeepwm69;

Wrap the sides of the muffler with sheet metal and hold it in place with hose clamps.[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea for a land bike , my muffler is under water a lot , in fact this is the only bike I have that has a exhaust snorkel on it , so it needs to be water tight as a gooses' butt ---maybe I could use some putty and a coffee can cutting with some hose clamps like you mentioned and make it water tight for this hole , it has a couple of other rust spots that I don't think are thru yet , but if I were to pick the scab I bet it would bleed exhaust , LOL
post #840 of 875 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
SamUK is sending me a 1st gen Rick's CDI from across the pond , old blue is going to be international , I think that the cdi might be the why the temp light quit working

Started the winch mount , paper work says 90-92 , but it doesn't really fit , looks like I could take off the rack supports , drill thru the winch plate and put the rack support tube on top the winch plate , it would be a 1/4 inch higher , but I should be able to make it work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8681.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	136820  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode