How to "Break-In" Your Newly Rebuilt Engine - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help Having a hard time locating a manual? Need some good solid Tech Information, Schematics or Specs? Look no farther, its all here!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:22 PM

I, too, switched to the motoman method---3 new bikes ago---and have never been happier. I used to baby my stuff, until I learned better. Once I have verified oil flow and warmed it up I pull holeshots on asphalt for 15 solid minutes. My dirt bikes run harder than any other identical stock bike. Not one person who has tried it has came back to me sorry.

Search on google or motoman's site for the actual clip from a Honda factory, of how Honda line-workers "verify" a new sportbike on the assembly-line: the tech cranks the thing on the assembly-line, blips it WFO a couple times, then nails it WFO for about 2 full seconds. Auto manufacturers do the same dang thing. The "slow break-in" is just a "cya" for a possible borderline product, which does happen, and as motoman says, for insurance reasons apparently...they feel like it got seated when the tech ran it up on the assembly-line, so cya, cya....

As well, motoman is kindly revealing some excellent stuff re that high-speed porting. That crap works, also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM

So how long should a rebuilt motor smoke doing the motoman method?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 56 times
Not longer than it takes to burn off any excess oil,or break in oil in the top end..A few seconds unless there's oil in the exhaust burning...

FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 PM

35 miles and still seeing smoke every now and then. Hard to tell when I am riding....except those behind me can see it. When in neutral there is none at idle but when I blip the throttle I can see it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 442 times
I've always been a firm believer of drive it the way you're gonna drive it. I've never had an issue with a new motor that way. I mean I always change the rpms and load on motor, but never scared to rev er out! Each to their own I guess!

1995 Honda 300, 355bbk, 40b Webcam, Springs & Hardened Rockers, 300ex Carb, Ricks CDI, FMF Full Exhaust, EBC DRC Clutch Kit, Outlaw Clutch Springs, Twin Air Filter, HL Disc Brake Conversion, Wide Open 424 kit, HL 2" lift, Bronco Shocks, 26" Zillas, Terra 35 Super Winch, Heat Demon Hand/Thumb Warmers, Powermadd Hand Guards, PIAA 35w Bulbs
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Well I have rebuilt 3 atvs. This is the first time I have done the Motoman method. The other times I used the drive it easy heat cycles method and never had issues. Now I do it this way and have smoke. Coincidence? maybe.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer View Post
I agree with some of the stuff in this write-up. I have seen the results on a dyno, running a machine hard from day 1 will give you more hp than if you baby it on break in.

The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements, because the window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines.

Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ... How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ?? Of course it can't.

The honed crosshatch pattern in the cylinder bore acts like a file to allow the rings to wear. The rings quickly wear down the "peaks" of this roughness, regardless of how hard the engine is run. There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal really well ... the first 20 miles !! If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use up the roughness before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over again. Fortunately, most new quad owners can't resist the urge to "open it up" once or twice,
which is why more engines don't have this problem !!

An additional factor that you may not have realized, is that the person at the dealership who set up your bike probably blasted your brand new bike pretty hard on the "test run". So, without realizing it, that adrenaline crazed set - up mechanic actually did you a huge favor !!
hey redracer, how do you think the motoman feels about you plagerizing and directly quoating his write up on engine break-in? your suposed to be an example here super moderator...

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 7 times
^ Are you any chance from new yorks capital region? I had this 9th grade english teacher....

Whatever is currently in one piece... 400 prairie with stuff, 300 fourtrax, 500 sportsman, yz 125...
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM

To the people who use Motoman's method..... do you do heat cycles? Do you warm up for a few minutes at idle, 2500, etc? Do you warm up, let cool, then run it hard?

His method is not very detailed about that. Any help?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode