1994 TRX300FW OEM Accessories plug Specifications - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help Having a hard time locating a manual? Need some good solid Tech Information, Schematics or Specs? Look no farther, its all here!

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 28 times
Garage
1994 TRX300FW OEM Accessories plug Specifications

Hey Guys,

This one should be quick, but i cant seem to find and direct info on it.
Lots of people on other posts say the wiring on the stock accessories plug is pretty crap (thin Gage) and therefor cant take much being drawn from it.

I was planning on cutting the OEM connector off, putting an in-line ATC Auto fuse holder and retrofitting a modern 12v accessory plug there so i can use other things like phone chargers, tire pump, etc.

My question is this:
What is the maximum Amperage/watts draw I can place on that line without causing damage?

I need to know so i can put the appropriate fuse in the in-line housing, and so that i do not ever put more draw than the wire can take.

Thanks!
Goober likes this.

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1405 times
Good questions.

The wiring diagram should show the power supplied via a pink and green subharness that connects underneath the front fender and connects into the main harness thru the battery subharness and 15A fuse – at the fuze I remember the subharness wires being striped. So it’s already fused and switched to the ignition.

Anyway the owners manual shows how to disassemble and use weatherproof accessory plug. My Honda accessory spotlight uses a 16 gauge stranded wire set, not 18 gauge. And it’s soldered to the plug.

If you want to use a standard 12V accessory plug–get one that’s waterproof.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Last edited by Goober; 06-26-2019 at 06:27 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Good questions.

The wiring diagram should show the power supplied via a pink and green subharness that connects underneath the front fender and connects into the main harness thru the battery subharness and 15A fuse Ė at the fuze I remember the subharness wires being striped. So itís already fused and switched to the ignition.

Anyway the owners manual shows how to disassemble and use weatherproof accessory plug. My Honda accessory spotlight uses a 16 gauge stranded wire set, not 18 gauge. And itís soldered to the plug.

If you want to use a standard 12V accessory plugĖget one thatís waterproof.
From what i can tell though, its fused all the way in the battery compartment so if that blows i also loose other things on the ATV until its replaced, I was going to put a 12AWG water-resistant fuse directly on that accessory line so that it blows before hitting the battery compartment.
(its a rats nest in there with all the extra stuff i added, id rather not have to go in there to replace a fuse if i can avoid it)

So would you say putting like a 10A fuse would be a good idea? Still not sure of the accessory wires max rating.
I assume if people were using it, and burning out the wires but not the fuses, obviously 15A is to much for that accessories wire.

Thought on that?
Thanks!
Goober likes this.

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:07 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Are you sure you have anything else on that accessory circuit?

If you want to calculate what you have on there and know watts (power) use the power equation P=IE to estimate minimum current draw

P (watts) = Inductance (Amps) x Electromotive Force (Volts)

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Are you sure you have anything else on that accessory circuit?

If you want to calculate what you have on there and know watts (power) use the power equation P=IE to estimate minimum current draw

P (watts) = Inductance (Amps) x Electromotive Force (Volts)
i have nothing on it ATM. i am trying to figure out the max draw for that EXACT line.

Yes, it is tied into that 15A fuse in the main battery box, but i saw multiple posts about people putting to much draw on the accessory line (LED light bars, and other accessories like mini-saws and 120v inverters) and burning out parts of their harness, without ever blowing that 15A fuse.

I need to know what you guys think (the community) on what the MAX draw i can put on that specific line is, so i can figure out what Amp fuse would be most appropriate.

Example (not actually done):
I install heated handgrips that draw 4A on max settings @ 12v, so they use 48W of power. Will that burn up/out the accessory wire and/or take too much power form the main line that accessory wire feeds off from?

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"

Last edited by Orvis25; 06-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3143 times
That 15 amp fuse that Goober is talking about serves only the accessory plug circuit. 15 amps is pretty generous compared to the standard nowadays.... because the more modern cigarette lighter type accessory power sockets are designed for 10 amps max load. So you have nothing to worry about using that circuit. Those stories are nonsense.
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

If the fuze is rated at 15A and 12V, using P=IE gives P=15x12 or 180 watts.

Now that is the rating for the accessory circuit; you could install a separate harness.

Keep in mind there are other influences and constraints namely draw by other components and limitations of both stator and battery.

Don’t you wish there was a Police Interceptor package like on a Harley that offered a high performance stator lols
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

Last edited by Goober; 06-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess i am a little confused, I am not great at reading wiring diagrams.

When i look at the "After 92" wiring diagram, i start at the battery battery. Both the P/W and R lines go into the "ignition switch". Then from there, Via the P cable, go directly to the "DC Connect", which i am assuming is the accessories port.

I do not see a fuse anywhere after the ignition switch and before reaching the DC Connect, only at the start in the battery compartment.

Do i not need to add a fuse in-between the ignition switch and DC connect to be safe? To make sure i don't damage the switch, or burn out the harness if i draw to much or get a short?

Also, Thanks Goober, if true that the accessory circuit/wires are 15A rated, the 180w figure helps alot

1994 TRX300fw 4x4 "Scar"

Last edited by Orvis25; 06-26-2019 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:57 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 460 times
Formula wheel electrical engineering electricity ohm's law pie chart calculation circle power wheel electric power formula fundamentals general ohm's law emf ohms audio physics electricity electronics formula wheel formulas amps watts volts ohms cosi
The Formula Wheel of Electrical Engineering
just found this. i doubt it will help. how much power, do ya want to run through your wires. =watts?
180w divided by 12v=15 amps. 15 amp fuse, and the wiring to accommodate it.
14 or 16 stranded. is my best guess. i like the wiring bigger, than what is required.
i would use a 15amp fuse or lower
i left out the charging capacity, of the atv, or the storage capacity, of the battery..

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 06-27-2019 at 03:11 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:37 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Does your handgrip heater set have a fuse in the harness? I wouldn’t use a 12 gauge fuse–I would use the same as you have in the fuse bank back by the battery. But in 10A like you said—you don’t really need it; you could also buy a separate harness with a built in fuse.

Now keep in mind the stator on the quad puts out a max of 300 watt i think. Stated In the manual. Idk what it outputs at lower rpm

Now remember those fuses are glass tube type right? You can get them in delay and fast-blow–mine are the original so idk what they are. Hopefully they are fast-blow.

I think the accessory circuit is 16 gauge stranded wire–I don’t know what it would take to overload it–best to be selective a limit your accessory load. Or use a small deep-cycle mounted elsewhere on the quad that you can use to run excess stuff and recharge later.
LedFTed likes this.

Last edited by Goober; 06-27-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Honda ATV Schematics / Manual Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode