Honda Rancher 350 Making ticking noise????? - Honda ATV Forum
Honda ATV Polls This section contains site related polls or polls related to Honda ATVs. Only administrators may start topics in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Honda Rancher 350 Making ticking noise?????

Hey everyone,
I'm new on this form and new to Honda ATVs.

My current project is a 1997 Honda Rancher 350 that is making a ticking noise.

I pulled the muffler off to make sure the noise wasn't due to a broken baffle, and it continued just the same.
-Removed the head and cylinder off the engine to check the piston. - Everything looked good there.
-Adjusted the valves to about .002-.003 instead of .006 just to make sure it wasn't valve slap, and the noise still continues. (I know that is too tight clearances for the valves, but I just wanted to see if it made a difference.)

I should mention, the guy who I'm checking it out for said it it just all of a sudden started making this noise, and then he just quit driving it.
-Is there something in the crankcase that could have come loose? Or am I overlooking something else?
-It still starts great and revs up, just doesn't sound right.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
I really don't know much about these machines.

Carson Bontrager

Current Project - 1997 Honda Rancher 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1955 times
Cam chain could be past is serviceable life span and 'slapping', they do create a 'tick' noise when worn. Did you check the little end bearing? Maybe drain the oil and check for any unwanted debris.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Liked: 2924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonbontrager View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm new on this form and new to Honda ATVs.

My current project is a 1997 Honda Rancher 350 that is making a ticking noise.

I pulled the muffler off to make sure the noise wasn't due to a broken baffle, and it continued just the same.
-Removed the head and cylinder off the engine to check the piston. - Everything looked good there.
-Adjusted the valves to about .002-.003 instead of .006 just to make sure it wasn't valve slap, and the noise still continues. (I know that is too tight clearances for the valves, but I just wanted to see if it made a difference.)

I should mention, the guy who I'm checking it out for said it it just all of a sudden started making this noise, and then he just quit driving it.
-Is there something in the crankcase that could have come loose? Or am I overlooking something else?
-It still starts great and revs up, just doesn't sound right.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
I really don't know much about these machines.
Welcome to the forum.

The 350 Rancher didn't come out till 2000, so first thing we need to do is figure out exactly which model you're working on.

Assuming it's a 350 Rancher, set valves to .006, and then with it idling, take a screwdriver and put your ear on the handle, and then set the other end on different parts of the motor while it's running and see where the noise is the loudest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 209 times
Do you have a Rancher or Fourtrax? When you adjusted the valves was it Overhead Cam or pushrods? Can you post a pic of the bike?

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe White
30" Outback Max on 14" C-Series Beadlocks
Superatv Forward Arms

2008 Honda Rancher 420 4x4
Money Pit......soon to be greatness

1998 Honda Trx300 4x4
317 motor, 54% Gear Reduction, EBC Clutches, Big Red Rear End, 2.75" Stretch, 350D Clutch Cover, Oil Cooler, Foreman 450 Clutch, Disc Brake Kit, 29.5 OG Laws

1985 Honda Big Red 250 ATC
18% Reduction, 28" EDL

Sold
19 - Honda Trx300 4x4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Forums > Honda ATV Polls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in