86trx 350 rebuild with disk brakes! - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
86trx 350 rebuild with disk brakes!

hey guys been waiting for the day to start my build thread. i bought my quad a few months back even though i wasnt ready to buy 1. now the time has come to make it mine. it showed up as a fully working bike except for front brakes, cooling fan, and a good battery, oh and there was a front driveshaft in a box of parts because the one on the bike is in pieces in the swingarm! it has a winch and 12" yamaha wheels with 26" vampires, and custom wide fenders.
the first week i took the bike out it broke down, just died, had to be towed in. all of a sudden i was knee deep in a project i wasn't ready for. i had to learn the ignition system and fuel system and do some heavy problem solving. long story short the stator and pulse generator got replaced and baam it came back to life.
i've ridden it alot since then and it's proved reliable, except the winch doesnt winch at all. but now i'm at the point of affording a quad so now it gets fixed up.
Click the image to open in full size.

i'm rebuilding the limited slip in the front diff hopefully to solve my clacking noise when i turn. when i tore the front end down all the bearings and gears look excellent. the front driveshaft is now in place also.

now for the upgrade! i rebuilt the front master cylinder and installed super atv's front disk brake conversion. i bled the lines out earlier and i cant wait to try it out

next up comes my new winch, cooling fan, wiring upgrades, snorkels, and contour the wide fenders to the bike.

86 trx350 4x4, 2" lift kit, yamaha rims with 12x26" vampire swamp tires, superwinch 3000 lb winch. also have an 82 honda nighthawk cb450sc

Last edited by Lancer77; 03-30-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 PM

Liked: 4 times
i am liking them brakes there that is for sure !!!

1991 Honda 350 (the beast)snorkeled, vampire tires on the back diff clutch mod, led headlights
1988 fourtrax 300-stock so far ( wifes ride)
1990 ford ranger -fishing truck
1977 ford f250- firewood truck, quad hauler
Yamaha moto4 225
check out my youtube page here... http://www.youtube.com/user/brett196...d?feature=mhee
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991honda350 View Post
i am liking them brakes there that is for sure !!!
can't wait to try em. did you notice we share the same open air shop lol.

86 trx350 4x4, 2" lift kit, yamaha rims with 12x26" vampire swamp tires, superwinch 3000 lb winch. also have an 82 honda nighthawk cb450sc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 AM

That clackin is your CVs.. My front breaks are junk too, would be interesting to know how your conversion works.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMud View Post
That clackin is your CVs.. My front breaks are junk too, would be interesting to know how your conversion works.
nah my cv's are good, it's more of a popping when you take off in a circle, where 1 wheel spins faster than the other.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

well gotthe front diff all hooked up so i set the wheels on and went for a spin around the yard. i cant tell any difference with it being 4wd now, though the popping in the front is cured. the front brakes work awesome! i didnt go too fast but the definitly haul the bike down in a hurry. i spent the rest of the day cleaning the mud off, wiring the winch, and extending the vent tubes toward the snorkel. next on my list is to redo the front bumper so it can handle the bigger winch (when you see the pics you'll know what i mean). i also have to wire in my 94 civic cooling fan along with a disconnect switch so it doesnt try and come on if it's submerged.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM

I'd love to hear any issues with the front brake install. My wheel cylinders are siezed up and they're awfully expensive. Might as well upgrade while I'm in there.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM

i put that same kit from superatv on my foreman 450 and besides the gear reduction (30 in silverbacks) the disk kit is the best mod ....

2000 FOREMAN 450 ES-S
warn 424 sold
14% 300 basket gear reduction
2500 lb warn winch sold
29.5x10x12 swamplites on ITP C-5 wheelssold
ssatv 2in lift
superatv disk brake conversion kit sold
progresive 512 shocks
the original custom 4inch PVC storage on front rack
if you need 450 parts PM me
https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...-part-out.html
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
I'd love to hear any issues with the front brake install. My wheel cylinders are siezed up and they're awfully expensive. Might as well upgrade while I'm in there.
front brake install was pure bolt on didn't have any issues just bolt up and bleed

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

alright guys got some more work done! here's a pic of the ole redneck welded front bumper and what all i did to fix it.

the brackets that held the fairlead were not welded on the bottom so i chopped em off and welded a plate withholes cut in it for mounting and the cable to pass through. also got a new 3000 winch on clearance for 140 bucks. way excited bout that.

next up i wired a fan override switch and an idiot light to indicate my fan module wants the fan on. i built a stainless panel to house this along with another switch for turning my fogs on. i put the panel on my fender where the hour meter used to be.

alright so thursday ill be wrapping this up by finishing my snorkel and mounting the front bumper
olruss likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode