2003 Rincon 650 gonna try to Restore - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

7Likes
  • 1 Post By Bounty Hunter
  • 1 Post By Jeepwm69
  • 1 Post By Jeepwm69
  • 2 Post By Bounty Hunter
  • 2 Post By Jeepwm69

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 9 times
2003 Rincon 650 gonna try to Restore

Hey ATV Brothers and Sisters,
Mrs. Bounty Hunter and I have been kinda looking around for a project Honda ATV to fix up for when our son, who is a Sergeant in the ARMY, can ride when he comes home on leave. We were hoping to find a decent ATV for a low price that needed basic repairs, not a total basket case. We may have succeeded, but only time will tell.

We found a 2003 Honda Rincon 650 at orchard just north of us, and went to go see it. The trip was fun, dirt backroads and beautiful central California coastal mountains. When we finally found the place, we were shown to the poor old Rincon...which had been stripped of its plastics and sat there unashamedly naked. The orchard maintenance guy had had a go at fixing it, but gave up. A bunch of parts were removed, and mostly collected up in sandwich baggies. The tires are badly worn out, bald and cracking. Someone replaced the rear wheels with wheels from a straight axel ATV with deep offset, resulting in the back of the rig being absurdly wide...like 6 inches wider than normal. Looks funny, but probably was pretty stable in the turns.

It was pretty clear that this stout old ATV had had a relatively easy life, there didn't appear to be the usual signs of long abuse and neglect...instead it seemed it had been pretty well cared for by the orchard staff. Oil looked clean and recently changed, air filter well maintained, the battery was fairly new. There is a little surface rust on the frame but very minor. All the electrics work, including lights and dash panel.

But here's the bad...the engine had locked up one day just putting around in the tree rows. Transmission seemed fine, it shifts and can be rolled around in neutral. The engine can be rocked a little bit in gear, but will not turn with starter or pull rope.

They had already bought a new Honda Foreman, so they were just wanting to get rid of the Rincon. We offered 600 bucks, and they gladly shook hands. We used a cable come-along to load it in the truck, and piled the various bits and pieces around it. Everyone was happy.

We have not started to get into the Rincon yet, but will soon. I have read that with certain Rincons there have been problems with flywheel bolts backing out and hitting the stator...which could cause the sort of symptoms we are seeing. The stator is probably toast, but the engine may not be cooked otherwise. Hopefully we will see next weekend.

Thanks for reading, if ya have any experience with this model and problems like this, please throw a shout our way!
Have a Blessed and Peaceful day, and Ride Safe
Bounty Hunter
Jeepwm69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 AM

Liked: 3228 times
Rincons can be a PITA to work on, but they're very smooth riding and have a lot of power.

Main thing I would be worried about is one that's been sunk. Sounds like this one likely has not been, so should make a good project!

Post lots of pics as you go, and make sure to download the FSM before you dig into it.
Bounty Hunter likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,
We got some time to take a look at the Rincon, and sure enough...the flywheel bolts (5 out of 6 of them!) had backed out and badly chewed up the stator. Man, that poor stator is completely toast...the copper windings are torn up and even the plates are racked and bent. The flywheel is damaged on the inside too...there seems to be a thin metal strip that was ripped up and mangled by the bolts. Does anyone know if that can be repaired? Can a new piece of metal be fabricated and glued inside the flywheel (i'm trying to save the cost of a new flywheel...not cheap...and like to fix things when ever possible).
The engine turns smoothly now, we have high hopes that the Rinny can be repaired and restored without too much drama. We just sent off for new exterior body plastics from Partzilla, as almost all of them were missing or broken. On the plus side the Rinny came with a Warn winch that works...i figure that alone is a part of the 600 bones we paid for the sad little ATV. It has very little wear and tear also, no dented or damaged frame members, A-arms look good, wheel bearings, brakes, and steering components all seem to be in good shape.
I'm going to try to post a few pics of the Rincon and the stator, not sure how well (or if) it will work...I'm new to the forum and have never tried to post a picture before.
Thanks for reading, have a great day and Ride Safe Brothers and Sisters,
Bounty Hunter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_035106.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	137956   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_035021.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	137958   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190708_035005.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	4.60 MB
ID:	137960  

FREEDOM IN AMERICA HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE WON BY:
THE BALLOT BOX
THE JURY BOX
THE AMMO BOX

ATVs:
1996 Honda Foreman 400 4x4
2002 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
1984 Honda ATC 200M (two of them!)
1985 Honda ATC 185
1982 Honda ATC 90 (long dead, but might be revived some day)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:44 AM

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the link jeepwn69, hooked us up with a good used stator for less than 1/2 price of a new part. Plus, we found a big "grab bag" of all the fasteners off a 650 Rincon...perfect for all the ones that get lost, break or need to be drilled out to keep the rebuild going. Cool site...
Jeepwm69 and retro like this.

FREEDOM IN AMERICA HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE WON BY:
THE BALLOT BOX
THE JURY BOX
THE AMMO BOX

ATVs:
1996 Honda Foreman 400 4x4
2002 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
1984 Honda ATC 200M (two of them!)
1985 Honda ATC 185
1982 Honda ATC 90 (long dead, but might be revived some day)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
Hey thanks for the link jeepwn69, hooked us up with a good used stator for less than 1/2 price of a new part. Plus, we found a big "grab bag" of all the fasteners off a 650 Rincon...perfect for all the ones that get lost, break or need to be drilled out to keep the rebuild going. Cool site...
I've been a big fan of PSN. Perhaps I shouldn't have been such a vocal supporter because here lately when I've needed a part they haven't had what I needed. People have been keeping them cleaned out!
retro and Bounty Hunter like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode