1988 trx300fw - Page 9 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

 85Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
_Wilson_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sweetwater Tn.
Posts: 4,181
Liked: 1620 times
Garage
Quote:
Even though the part numbers for a 300 ( optional fan ) and a 450 fan are not the same , I really think they might be the same except for the brackets
Could be ..... Cause the 88-90 frame should have those brackets (factory) welded on the frame, the change over ( bolt on brackets ) i believe took place in the 1991+ on domestic fwd 300 models.

No brackets for this 88 fan kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	136248  
misterclean59 likes this.
_Wilson_ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 35,993
Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Quote:
Even though the part numbers for a 300 ( optional fan ) and a 450 fan are not the same , I really think they might be the same except for the brackets
Could be ..... Cause the 88-90 frame should have those brackets (factory) welded on the frame, the change over ( bolt on brackets ) i believe took place in the 1991+ on domestic fwd 300 models.

No brackets for this 88 fan kit.
my frame has the mounting brackets already made on the frame.
_Wilson_ likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
shadetree is offline  
post #83 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
_Wilson_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sweetwater Tn.
Posts: 4,181
Liked: 1620 times
Garage
Yep^^* Wonder why the reason for the bracket deletion on later models ??

450 cooling fan is slightly deferent .... AND .....if they use the same electric motor ....IMO you ncould snatch up the one goober posted, and change out the electric motor... And your good to go, BAM! A 300 cooling fan! Just need to find a good working electric motor. Here's the 450. I bet you've got a motor stashed some place lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	136250  
_Wilson_ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #84 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 35,993
Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Yep^^* Wonder why the reason for the bracket deletion on later models ??

450 cooling fan is slightly deferent .... AND .....if they use the same electric motor ....IMO you ncould snatch up the one goober posted, and change out the electric motor... And your good to go, BAM! A 300 cooling fan! Just need to find a good working electric motor. Here's the 450. I bet you've got a motor stashed some place lol
your forgetting something !, what about the fan control unit ?..lol. it wont run without this part, and this part is discontinued today. and yes, i've got motors stashed...lol.
Goober likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
shadetree is offline  
post #85 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 35,993
Liked: 4210 times
Garage
update: well outlaws, I finally got to the point to do a test fire on a motor that sat for over 5 years, torn down, rebuilt by me, installed back in the frame, and the moment of truth , IT LIVES AGAIN !!!. although with some small snags , one: the starter is the wrong starter, it turns clock-wise, instead of counter-clockwise ?, and two: the c.d.i. was not giving me any spark when I was kicking it over ?, soooooooooo..out to my buds place, he hands me the one and only '88 trx300 c.d.i. that he had, I bring it back home, plug it in, turn the key on, get neutral light, oil light comes on, then goes off, I pump some fresh fuel into the '' newly cleaned '' carb, turn the choke on, second kick...SHE FIRED RIGHT OVER...AND SOUNDED LIKE A BRAND NEW ENGINE !. I put an order in for a new c.d.i. ( my bud wants his back..and I only needed it for testing ), new seat, new right side cover. got the front disk brakes installed for the most part this morning, still have not cleaned the brake lines out, and hooked up, but should be just fine. still waiting on rear axle. so there you have it, ANOTHER LEGEND LIVES AGAIN !.
Jeepwm69, Goober, _Wilson_ and 2 others like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
shadetree is offline  
post #86 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
fishfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayou La'combe , Louisiana
Posts: 11,454
Liked: 6298 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree

your forgetting something !, what about the fan control unit ?..lol. it wont run without this part, and this part is discontinued today. and yes, i've got motors stashed...lol.

Retro's Gizmo to control the fan .
Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
fishfiles is offline  
post #87 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
retro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ojibwe Gichigami
Posts: 5,364
Liked: 2768 times
I could make a gizmo for the fan, but you'd need to put an oil cooler on it else it would be fancy overkill... wouldn't make the oil run any colder, so the fan would never shut off once it started. I can't make any more of those gizmos for quite a while though.. these 1st two remind me of ship building... inside a whiskey bottle. Takin' me over 28 hours so far just fabbing up enclosures, an' they ain't half done yet! :-)

I might find time later on (2-3 months out) to make a simpler gizmo for it though. There is no way that I can dedicate any more time to them right now. I'm buried in spring/summer chores... worse than I ever been, so far this year.


retro is offline  
post #88 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 35,993
Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I could make a gizmo for the fan, but you'd need to put an oil cooler on it else it would be fancy overkill... wouldn't make the oil run any colder, so the fan would never shut off once it started. I can't make any more of those gizmos for quite a while though.. these 1st two remind me of ship building... inside a whiskey bottle. Takin' me over 28 hours so far just fabbing up enclosures, an' they ain't half done yet! :-)

I might find time later on (2-3 months out) to make a simpler gizmo for it though. There is no way that I can dedicate any more time to them right now. I'm buried in spring/summer chores... worse than I ever been, so far this year.
don't worry about retro, I will leave it alone for right now, i've got more important things to worry about..lol.
retro likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
shadetree is offline  
post #89 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
retro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ojibwe Gichigami
Posts: 5,364
Liked: 2768 times
Good... the longer you wait the more likely I'll be able to whip something together for it. So keep stallin'... lemme catch up to ya. :-)


retro is offline  
post #90 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Goober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,918
Liked: 1280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Wilson_ View Post
Yep^^* Wonder why the reason for the bracket deletion on later models ??

450 cooling fan is slightly deferent .... AND .....if they use the same electric motor ....IMO you ncould snatch up the one goober posted, and change out the electric motor... And your good to go, BAM! A 300 cooling fan! Just need to find a good working electric motor. Here's the 450. I bet you've got a motor stashed some place lol
your forgetting something !, what about the fan control unit ?..lol. it wont run without this part, and this part is discontinued today. and yes, i've got motors stashed...lol.
I used a 2wd FCU and a switch worked real good. They seem plentiful on fleabay

_________________
Click link for Honda service manuals! 👀 see, right here👇🏻 Click it 👇🏻
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...13&direction=a

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
__________________
Goober is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ongoing project, 300 fourtrax. SamUK Builds, Projects & DIY 619 06-28-2018 01:44 PM
Trx350d locker 4trax1986 Performance Modifications 35 06-24-2017 02:11 PM
1988 TRX300FW Front Brake Dust Seal replacement rfwilkinson Brakes & Suspension 3 10-07-2016 03:23 PM
Easy tool to remove pinion nut on 08 Honda rancher rear end/diff racksdeep Repair & Maintenance 8 10-01-2016 06:12 AM
Oil filter crossover fishfiles ATV General Discussion 2 07-22-2016 04:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome