1988 trx300fw - Page 10 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4259 times
Garage
update: ok outlaws, I need to get this info out here, so EVERYONE can be warned of what I have been through !. sooooooooo, with that being said, let the story carry on !. after dealing with a china ring and pinion gear set I purchased from amazon, opened undamaged box, teeth were broken/chipped, I sent that back fast !. found another ad on amazon which is this one --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NAPTF34PJ1DJH1 !. now mind you, this looks like an honest buy right ?, honda logo, all says real honda part, fits 1988-2000 trx300-trx300 4x4 right ?, well guess what ?..ITS FAKE AS ALL GET OUT !. I get home from my buds place Saturday afternoon, see this brown box on my front porch, on the outside of the box, big black letters, I see McDonald atv, and ARMOR TECH !. now..in case anyone does not know anything about armor tech ?, they are a after market company that makes, sells atv parts from Taiwan , or china ? ( pick your poison ). bottom line, I was sold what was suppose to be an OEM honda part, at a oem honda price, for a armor tech aftermarket product !!. I compared the part number on partzilla, same part number for a 2000 trx300fw ring and pinion gear set before I purchased this part from amazon. if this is not fraud , fake, lying , thieves ?..THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS ??!!. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING ON AMAZON FROM THIS COMPANY, THIER NAME IS JOHSON'S ATV SUPPLY, RECTOR,ARKANSAS !!!. again: DO NOT BUY FROM THESE FOLKS..ITS A BIG LIE !!!, YOU WILL NOT GET A REAL HONDA RING AND PINION GEAR SET, YOU WILL ONLY GET A ARMOR TECH RING GEAR AND PINION SET FOR THE COST OF WHAT YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT FROM PARTZILLA OR ROCKY MOUNTAIN ATV FOR THE REAL CORRECT PART !!!!. DO...NOT....BUY...ANYTHING...FROM JOHNSON'S ATV SUPPLY !!!.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
update: few days have gone, have not done much but wait on parts. got my starter in from D&B electrical, got the carb primer bulb in from amazon (yes its china, but for 9 bucks..worth the risk..lol ). finally got the rear axle in today, its caltric..and china, but this is an item that can't be bought from honda, least not for a 1988 trx300fw !. got the rear diff bearing and seal kit as well as the rear brake bearing and seal kit in. got the brand new c.d.i. in, works great !. tried out the ele starter after I installed it, works great !. still need the rear ring and pinion gear set from partzilla, probably wont see that until Monday or Tuesday next week from partzilla ?. all I like now is the rear brake drum cover, foot brake cable, and a battery. oh, and seat came in, turns out, a type 1 seat is gray !..lol. I ordered it from partzilla, but I did not click on gray, I thought I was getting a black seat ?, nope..gray all the way !..lol. I am on hold right now until I get the rear diff put together. I did manage to salvage the rear brake backing plate, it was busted in a few places where the large o-ring rest, I think I got that solved ?, least I am happy with it. well, thats all I got for now, will update later when I get some more parts in :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
update: got a few things installed tonight. rear diff is back together, rear swing arm is back together and installed. new axle, new rear brake drum, new rear brake drum cover, new rear brake shoes. new rear axle hubs, rear rear brake cables both hand and foot. fresh 80w-90 gear oil in rear diff, pretty much the whole rear end has be rebuilt with all new parts so to speak. mounted the tires for now, wanted to see what kinda stance I have ?, so far I think its looking great !. still got a long way to go to get it done, but one day at a time !. here is a few pics of how she's looking so far :-). p.s. before you mention anything about the wheels missing lug nuts ?, the wheels are not ready for permanent mounting !, they are temp mounted for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	136490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	136492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	136494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	136496  
Goober, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6568 times
Garage
You talking about Amazon , I find Amazon has a lot more cheap Chinese junk then e-bay and they do use advertisement that makes it look like original parts , a lot ---- I try to stay away from amazon

I was reading thru your updates , was wondering what are you doing about ring gear shims

Looking good !!!!

P.S. , if you need some help with your snorkel , I am there for you , LOL
Goober, _Wilson_, retro and 1 others like this.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
You talking about Amazon , I find Amazon has a lot more cheap Chinese junk then e-bay and they do use advertisement that makes it look like original parts , a lot ---- I try to stay away from amazon

I was reading thru your updates , was wondering what are you doing about ring gear shims

Looking good !!!!

P.S. , if you need some help with your snorkel , I am there for you , LOL
I was able to get oem shims from partzilla, I don't recall the thickness I bought ?, but I know both were the same, and they worked great !!!, no slop at all, and was able to spin the drive shaft pinion gear great !. as for amazon china junk ?, yes...I agree 100% !. but !!!!, with an atv that is 31 years old, and '' trying '' to get it back to new shape ?, its not gonna happen with partzilla, rocky mountain atv, or any other dealer. some things I will use china, some things I have no choice. like the rear axle ?, NLA from honda, which leaves after market all the way.

Last edited by shadetree; 05-16-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Liked: 423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
update: got a few things installed tonight. rear diff is back together, rear swing arm is back together and installed. new axle, new rear brake drum, new rear brake drum cover, new rear brake shoes. new rear axle hubs, rear rear brake cables both hand and foot. fresh 80w-90 gear oil in rear diff, pretty much the whole rear end has be rebuilt with all new parts so to speak. mounted the tires for now, wanted to see what kinda stance I have ?, so far I think its looking great !. still got a long way to go to get it done, but one day at a time !. here is a few pics of how she's looking so far :-). p.s. before you mention anything about the wheels missing lug nuts ?, the wheels are not ready for permanent mounting !, they are temp mounted for now.

Looks great!

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Liked: 397 times
Garage
Wow, it looking better and better... great job, Shade!!

@fishfiles - snorkle....TOO funny.... I notice he has not commented. LOL
fishfiles and retro like this.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1341 times
So are you thinking of putting a fan on it?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode