DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

380Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1507 times
Ok now Shade and i are gonna crack a cold one while Retro and Wheelsquad discuss Fourierís and Fickís Laws of momentum transfer
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

post #12 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:26 PM

Liked: 1891 times
Garage
Quote:
Ya got me in a bit over my head
Ya right! ^^ . I don't think so...I'm looking forward to what you build in the future...
fishfiles and retro like this.
post #13 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3213 times
The cold ones sound interesting, Fouriers & Ficks sounds like an upscale NY dept. store to me tho? :-)

I mocked up the gizmo today using 3.65k ohms resistors (can't find any 5k in my bins) on the left side, following my hunch. It works good with those 3.65k's in there, but I think it will work even better with 10k ohms resistors put back in there.

It is overly sensitive during calibration right now IMO, using those 3.65k ohms resistors in there. I'm gonna swap the 500k ohms Hysteresis trimpot out for a 1 Meg ohm trimpot too, to help relieve some of the over-sensitivity on that function of the circuit. So I'll test again tomorrow and hopefully, get started on adding a coupla' mo' ideas to it.

No pics taken today, sorry. I ran out of time. I'll get a coupla' pics of the mockup tomorrow.
fishfiles, Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Liked: 679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I'll mock this up on a perf board this week an' see what can be learned. Any suggestions? Requests? Critiques? :-)
Don't forget the fail-safe feature where the fan will actually run when the sensor goes bad.... vs fan never coming on, how Honda has it.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #15 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Yeah, matter of fact I was thinking about that feature today so I'm glad that you mentioned it. We have the idiot light in the display that will likely never, ever come on. So, if we can design the gizmo so that the fan starts if/when the sensor fails high out of range... AND we can start the fan if the oil sensor wire ever gets unplugged/ripped in half by a stick or something...? Should we tie that over-temp LED into that half of the device, so that the idiot light comes on whenever the sensor fails high, or it gets unplugged?

We can take advantage of that light somewhere else besides an overheat condition I feel, because the primary function of the gizmo should already eliminate any overheating by its sensitivity and precision.

Of course, the oil cooler could get plugged up with mud or the cooling fan motor could fail or blow a fuse, causing an overheat. Unless we add a thermister onto the cooler to monitor cooler temps and add a hall-effect tachometer circuit to the fan motor... :-)

Think about it... lets bounce some ideas.

So far I think we are gonna have to monitor the ambient air temperature, because sub-zero air temps would false-trigger our sensor failing high feature. Complexities are imminent. :-)

EDIT:
Actually we might be able to turn that over-temp LED on if the motor overheated too, so don't rule that possibility out just yet.

Last edited by retro; 03-29-2019 at 01:19 AM.
post #16 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I promised a pic of the mockup so here it is. As you can see I am using a Red LED (its lit in the pic) to indicate to me when the transistor turns on/off, rather than tripping a fan relay at this point. I'm also using a 5k ohms pot in place of the oil temp sensor to speed up testing. Since we've already learned our operating resistance range from the veggie oil tests we can quickly dial in our targets using the pot.

I didn't get to spend any time on it today cause universe made other plans. I'll try again tomorrow. I am putting together a short list of parts that we might need, probably order those up this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mockup.png
Views:	35
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	135098  
fishfiles, Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

post #17 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7026 times
Garage
"A" cold one is a teaser -------- I don't drink during the week , unless it is a special occasion , but tomorrow is Saturday and I will be on a mission to destroy a 20 pack of Coors Lite
Goober, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #18 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
We have the idiot light in the display that will likely never, ever come on. So, if we can design the gizmo so that the fan starts if/when the sensor fails high out of range... AND we can start the fan if the oil sensor wire ever gets unplugged/ripped in half by a stick or something...?
Yep exactly what happened to mine, sensor wire came unplugged, my oil cooler may have been restricted some, it was really hot out and I was in slow going in old pasture bogs, but since the default fail from mode from being unplugged was to not run the fan, and oil temp light also doesn't come on then, mine got REALLY hot before I realized it.
retro likes this.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #19 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:14 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
"A" cold one is a teaser -------- I don't drink during the week , unless it is a special occasion , but tomorrow is Saturday and I will be on a mission to destroy a 20 pack of Coors Lite
Canít drink all day unless you start before breakfast.
_Wilson_ likes this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #20 of 216 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 06:45 AM

@retro, I'll try and think of ideas to best utilize the idiot light. But I'm thinking I like your idea most for having it come on if there is an error in the fan or fan circuit itself. Since it should be obvious with the gizmo in place of a temp sensor or wire issue with the fan running continuously.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode