DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 17 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

352Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
@SamUK
Great to see ya back Sam! You're on the list for a gizmo! Its gonna be quite a while before I can build any more of them though... got a pretty deep workload this summer and I'm running way behind schedule. I'm gonna build one for fishfiles shortly, he's helping out with R&D, then may be a couple more months before I can get back at 'em. I'll get with ya when the time comes so we can talk about a mounting location for your bike. :-)

My portals idea is based on chain drive too. I'm thinking about using chains and sprockets from snowmobiles. Some of them have floating slack self-adjusters that are pretty cool and useful looking. Sprockets can be mixed 'n matched easily to get desired GR ratios. I figure since they'll handle 100+ horsepower holeshots from 8500 rpm sled motors, they oughta hold up fine driving one wheel each, on an ATV. We'll see... :-)
Jeepwm69 and SamUK like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

@fishfiles
We can run that wiring out of the enclosure to suit your mounting choice, me thinks. There is a lot of space between the circuit board and the back & sides for wiring exits. I posted in your 450 thread...

post #163 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Liked: 644 times
got my gizmo 2.0 in the mail on Wednesday, haven't had a chance to play with it yet and will be out of town until Sunday. maybe this time i'll take a stab at making an "unboxing" video of it. putz with it some, check the mounting, then get an install date on the calendar!
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Cool, have a great weekend!

post #165 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6777 times
Garage
Retro , those 3/8 bolts in the pic are going to have to be the mounting point , underneath the plate where the toggle switches there is a tube , it is going to take a piece of angle iron but on about a 45 degree angle and out the bottom with the wiring is going to be the spot --------I am going to try and fab something up using the sample box you sent
post #166 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I'll see if I can find a piece of aluminum that might work there too.

post #167 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I sorted through my stash and found a few pieces of extruded aluminum that will work there. We can go with 135 degrees angle, or a 45 degrees angle, or any angle close to those two figures. So the mount type is no problem... just need ya to measure between the inside of one 3/8" bolt to the outside of the other 3/8" bolt to get the bolt centers.

I can make a bracket and take pics with it on the back of a new box when its done, so you can see how it looks on there?

If we use a 45 degree angle bracket the wiring would come out through a hole in the bracket which should work pretty good... a 135 degree bracket would accomplish the same thing though... in either case we could add provisions for a wiring support loop there (usage optional), like I did on my Rancher mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boltcenters.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	137334  
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

post #168 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6777 times
Garage
I screwed up , I was showing off the Gizmo box at our party this weekend , left it sitting on the dash , little while later I jumped on the bike and took off on a ride into the woods , realized what I did , went back and looked for it , think it went into the water , would think it has to be close to the house , thinking of taking the scoop net and dredging the first couple of holes

second part of my screw up , I went on the ride with Crock flip flops , I had a pair of socks and boots sitting by a chair ready to put on , so I get off the bike at a pit stop and was like Scooby Do slipping and sliding and caught my balance , my buddy said " that was close ", took one more step and hit the slop , right on my shoulder , it was hurting really bad Sun and Mon , a little better today , when I got back I threw them Crocks away as the bottoms were worn flat
post #169 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Liked: 1803 times
Garage
Man...... That's rough ..... At least the gizmo is water proof .

just spitballing here, but what about a metal detector ??
fishfiles and retro like this.
post #170 of 195 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

That was a junker empty gizmo box @_Wilson_, so no loss. The shoulder injury might be a concern though... hope its just a bruise that heals quickly and not anything more serious.

Don't worry about that box @fishfiles, we don't need it. I can send ya another one... get those bolt centers and I'll make a bracket then send it to ya along with another box then you can work the bugs out of it. That sound OK?
fishfiles, Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode