DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 16 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

401Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3237 times
This one calibrated very well and quite easily. I spent about 1 1/2 hours on the stovetop with it in total, beginning with an initial setup at 22 degrees C, before turning the fire on. I brought the oil temp up slowly stopping often to tweak on the trimpot. Once near the top I let the temp fall back while tweaking on it some more. Then up again to test the high temp alarm and allow the oil temp to fall back down where tenths were being displayed again. The calibration range was primarily from the 60s up to 110+ tweaking on the trimpot during rising, stable and falling oil temps... did that for about 5 or six cycles.... mostly cause my phone kept ringing this afternoon interrupting the process.

I don't think the 10k ohms trimpot swap improved or sped up the calibration at all. So from now on I'll use whichever size trimpot I have on hand or have the most of in my bins. I tried to improve my luck by using one my solid silver spoons (1847 was a good year wasn't it?) to stir the oil with, but universe wasn't fooled or entertained much by that stunt. :-)

The final calibration result is most excellent though! I feel like it dialed in within 1 or 2 tenths of a degree C. No matter whether the oil temp was rising or falling, both displays were incrementing up or down at almost the same moments. It rocks! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate0.png
Views:	16
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	137088   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate1.png
Views:	14
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	137090   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate2.png
Views:	11
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	137092   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate3.png
Views:	9
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	137094   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate4.png
Views:	10
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	137096  

fishfiles, Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

The relays box and the control unit enclosures are both sealed permanently now. The control unit is inside the UV light oven curing the LOCA display bond to the tinted window as we speak. I'll let it go for a while in there... my tube of LOCA is past its expiration date, so although it still cures well, I'm gonna give it some extra time under the light and be sure. This 3rd build looks fabulous and I'm very pleased with it! Oh, have I mentioned that it ROCKS yet?!?! :-)

Here's the last of the calibration pics dump.... the 3rd pic below is displaying HHH (high-temp alarm) but my camera didn't capture that. Just one more dump remains after the final step, more'n likely on Saturday. Then it'll ship. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	calibrate5.png
Views:	12
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	137098   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate6.png
Views:	12
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	137100   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate7.png
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	137102   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate8.png
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	137104   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrate9.png
Views:	8
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	137106  

Goober, _Wilson_ and GirlsRideToo like this.

post #153 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:24 PM

Liked: 1892 times
Garage
I must have missed this
Quote:
high temp alarm
what type of alarm ? Visual, (blinking led/color change) or audio ? Take as much time to explain, i thougly enjoy this thread!, and where it's going .A touch screen ?? Don't put it past him.
retro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

The high oil temp alarm is visual only. The display shows HHH (and the fan motor continues to run) if the oil ever reaches the high-temp threshhold set by the user in the parameter menus. In this case I left it set at 110 degrees C, so was just verifying that it works. There is also a visual alarm for the oil temp sensor... the display shows LLL if the sensor gets disconnected, a wire breaks, etc.

The gizmo can be put into heating mode in the menu as well, to control a furnace or a heater or whatever. We'll use it for cooling though, its good at doing that.
fishfiles, Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

post #155 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Other features found in the menus... the user can set both upper and lower limits (-50 C to +110 C) that can be set on the fly, to prevent someone accidentally changing your trigger points and causing the fan to stay off or run fulltime. Such as a kid playing with it when ya aren't looking... :-)

There is also a relay delay timer that can be set up ranging from 0 to 10 minutes. We won't need that feature... but if you were controlling a freezer or an air conditioner that timer might be useful... by allowing the compressor motor to cool off and/or allow freon pressures to equalize so the compressor wasn't starting up under a heavy load. You've probably read about the others...? Calibration offsets in +/- 7 degrees C in tenths degrees increments, hysteresis adjustments from +/- 15 degrees C in tenths increments, non-volatile memory, etc.
wheelsquad, fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

post #156 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Alright, updated docs are printed, final testing is done, there's a purdy shine on all of it, celebratory tops are popped (it's 5 o-clock somewhere, ehh?), an' its stuffed inside a box for a Monday ship date to a neighboring corp-state! :-)

Gonna take some time out for rehab before starting on the next one... last call pic dump! :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	preship-test.png
Views:	18
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	137126   Click image for larger version

Name:	preship0.png
Views:	18
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	137128   Click image for larger version

Name:	preship1.png
Views:	17
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	137130   Click image for larger version

Name:	preship2.png
Views:	15
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	137132  

post #157 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:13 PM

Liked: 518 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Alright, updated docs are printed, final testing is done, there's a purdy shine on all of it, celebratory tops are popped (it's 5 o-clock somewhere, ehh?), an' its stuffed inside a box for a Monday ship date to a neighboring corp-state! :-)

Gonna take some time out for rehab before starting on the next one... last call pic dump! :-)
Cheers!! Well Done. Yes, the mind of a genius needs a rest from time to time.
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #158 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post

PM me about these retro, Ill have one off you if/when you make more. Very happy with the trim pot I have fitted to mine but being able to view the temp is spot on!

Great job, well done! :-)

Whats this about portals? Id planned on using Argo cat dual chains, I never worked out what reduction (if any) was achievable. I know there were various sized dual chain wheels fitted to Argos but its been a few years since I had one.
My thinking for Argo parts was, ease of use and ease of replacement, unfortunately I never got time to dig deeper and get any firm facts in place.

Looking forward to hearing what you have in mind.

If it helps in any way, I can source good quality chain very cheaply here in the UK, all depends on shipping and costs nearer to yourself though. Just throwing it out there :-).
retro likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #159 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I wonder if Honda engineers read this forum , maybe they could learn a few things -----
I bet senior Honda engineers would learn a thing or two from here! We all have our own specialties which makes this forum very unique.
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #160 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7074 times
Garage
Retro , the Gizmo container arrived today ----- very nice , smaller than I thought ---- I think this pic is where the Gizmo should go ----- because the box screws together from the back side , I couldn't put screws thru the box into the dash and then assemble the box ---- I think I would have to screw a plate to the rear of the box , that would stick out a bit on each side and put screws thru that plate to the dash , wire could come out either side , out the back would hide the wiring , but would be harder to pull off easily
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8815.JPG
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	137240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8819.JPG
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	137242  
retro and shrade like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode