DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 14 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

294Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2933 times
If ya find a good place for a handlebar mount @wheelsquad lemme know. I'm not 100% confident with that clamp bracket I made... it seems to me like the two #10 screws gotta be overtightened to make it clamp down good. I don't trust it.

If we can find a place to mount on the left handlebar similar to the way I mounted up my gizmo, I'll build another control unit and bring it with me. I feel like my workmanship improves on each subsequent build anyway... an' now that the rainy spring pattern seems to be letting go, I am able to do most of the fab work on the enclosure outdoors in natural light, where I can see a lot better.

So I'd really like to make another one... lets see if we can improve them now that we know they are fully functional.
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I got two more genuine STM8S boards in the mail the other day.. so the current stock count is at 6 genuine boards. Lets use 'em up refining these buggers, ehh? :-)
Goober likes this.

post #133 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I also improved the submersible sealing technique a bunch on the control unit when I built the 2nd one... so I want to add that update to your gizmo @wheelsquad. So you see I'm anxious to get nit-picky now... any tiny improvement ideas ya think up no matter what they might be...? Lets bounce some ideas off of each other, see if we can make them work/fit better on the bike for us.

First thing I wanna do is swap the 5-pin connectors I used for 4-pin. I ended up wiring them up differently than I first envisioned when that 5-pin/shared grounds idea didn't pass the final muster. So gotta fix that... also like to improve the harness wraps somehow. And can probably use smaller wire for the repotted oil temp sensor harness.... lil' stuff, but maybe we can surprise ourselves if we scheme on it for a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 PM

Liked: 597 times
@retro the bracket you put on the back of the unit fits right in between the fins and feels like it has just enough solid engagement to hold no problem:
Click the image to open in full size.

I don't know where you found that bracket and don't think I could have found that myself... But never doubt a wizard.

This will work great on mine but I'll spend some time thinking about mounting others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190531_215726.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	136994  
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125

Last edited by wheelsquad; 05-31-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #135 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

That clamp bracket was cut from a length of extruded aluminum trim of some sort... dunno what it was originally intended for. If you look closely you might be able to tell that the top half of that clamp was cut out from the same bottom half profile... I just filed the top piece to match up with the bottom half shape and thinned the back of it to form the upper jaw.

I am almost halfway done with another control unit. I got a lot done working outdoors in the sunlight today... waiting for JB-weld to cure on the trimpot overnight then I'll continue. I'm getting a bit faster with 'em... got the fabbing techniques (and patience/persistence) pretty well nailed down now. Confidence is improving too. :-)

I been thinking about a universal mount... consisting of thick aluminum plate internally, but with thin aluminum plate externally that can be included standard on the back of every unit. It will be drilled (blind holes, unit will still be submersible) & tapped for two screws. That would allow for every control unit to interchange... and allow the owner to make their own mounting choices and even move the unit from bike to bike, rather than each mounting choice having to be custom made at build time. They are permanent one-trick ponies as built so far, so that's another idea I'd like to explore.

I gotta order some more stuff before I can complete this one, but once it is done I wanna send it to ya @wheelsquad. I'll make the same clamp bracket for it (on a universal mount?) if you'd like to run with that type. This will be a much improved control unit updated with all that has been learned so far. That box you just opened is obsolete already. We might salvage the rubber button strip outta that first build though, for one of the next... :-)
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

post #136 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1317 times
If you’re looking for mounts, Ram Mounts makes mounts that adapt to brake reservoirs, and bars of any size.
https://www.rammount.com/consumer/on-road/motorcycle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	522879B6-68DB-4C75-9C05-EDFE932B288A.png
Views:	5
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	136996  
fishfiles, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #137 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6534 times
Garage
these mirror brackets are handy for an anchor to the handle bars or racks to build off of , I have seen them with 8, 10 , 12, and 14mm threaded holes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror bracket .jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	136998  
retro likes this.
post #138 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

I made another oil temp sensor today using the brass that was taken outta my Rancher. That OEM sensor still measured as being good, but they're scrap until gutted, so thats what had to happen to it. The pic shows the new thermie a few moments before it got dunked into JB-weld filled brass.

I also made a simple aluminum bracket that I'll put on the back of every control unit from here on out, unless one of yous' suggests a better one. I'll post a pic of that bracket later on, after the paint gets baked in the oven.

Also made another clamp bracket that can be attached to the universal bracket. This one is drilled for three screws rather than two and is shaped to reach further back onto the fins of the light bar, so hopefully its an improvement. Thats gotta bake in the oven too, so I'll post a pic of it next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sensor3.png
Views:	8
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	137006  

post #139 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

This is what I got going so far for a universal bracket and the thinking behind all that...

I struggle making custom-fit brackets for bikes that I have never seen before and don't have parked in my yard to look at... very few of us would ever be pleased with those results. AND in order for the gizmo to be submersible its gotta ship out with a sealed bracket on it.

I can work with folks on basic bracket types, shapes and locations... just can't guarantee anything I make would fit right. More'n likely I'd waste a good day of fabbing time & materials on shipping junk. So I want to include something basic and simple that can be drilled, cut shorter, cut off, bent a bit, another bracket bolted onto it... etc., by the installer. A universal bracket in other words... something to build off from.

The pics show my 1st effort. If y'all have any feedback or other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket0.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	137014   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket1.png
Views:	6
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	137016   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket2.png
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	137018  
wheelsquad, fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

post #140 of 174 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

This is the clamp bracket I made for this gizmo @wheelsquad. It is thinner in the nose than the first one I think, so it might fit a bit deeper into the fins on your lightbar? I drilled it for three #10 screws and nuts (nevermind the #6 screws, those were temporarily put there for taking pics) to hopefully increase the clamping power.

The intention is to mount it to the universal bracket pictured in the post above using all three clamp screws, if it looks like it will fit there and work good, when we are installing it?

Whadd'ya think? Shall we throw it back, or try it? The bracket might provide us with a Plan B if that clamp don't work... :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clamp0.png
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	137020   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp1.png
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	137022  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode