DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 12 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

367Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6853 times
Garage
One tequila , two tequila , three tequila , floor !

Jose Cuervo , Patron, Top Shelf and Sammy Hagar's Wab Wab lite me up many of nights on the dance floor , but it really gets you the next day , especially if it is 90+ degrees and you sweat the smell of tequila , tequila is a terrible hangover , I think it is worst than green beer

Tequila brings a lot of happy and some sad thoughts for me , my old girl friend Pam , who was my first real girl friend when I was 13 , I never seen her for 23 years , then I meet up with her about 20 years ago now , on the dance floor of a club , we wound up living together for 7 years and danced every song , 5 nights a week = Wed-Sun, where ever the good bands were playing and the best party , we had a lot of fun , she liked to do shots of Jose 1800 Gold , she passed away at 59 years old last Thursday , she had breast cancer about 7 years ago , survived that but the cancer spread to her spline 4 years later ----if you have a spot in your prayers , wish her a better place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Liked: 3275 times
Gin is still what gets me. I had an all day Gin binge when I was about 20. Dry heaved all day the next day. Smell of it still turns my stomach.

With the wife being preggers now I haven't been drinking much lately, but when I do drink even a small amount gives me a headache. I guess I need to build up my tolerance again!

Had ONE scotch over ice last night. Have a headache this morning.
post #113 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3167 times
The 1st gizmo is essentially finished. It was calibrated on the stovetop today as a completed assembly, now the final sealing of each enclosure as the covers get screwed on is all that remains. I'll let the Ultra-black sealer cure for 24 hours then I may put some Wipe-New Recolor on the small enclosure to help protect the plastics from the sun and gloss it up a bit. So total wait time remaining might be about 72 hours. I'll take a couple more pics of the completed gizmo after the sealer & Wipe-new have cured.

It works great! Its built to last! Celebrate! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibrated.png
Views:	15
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	136388  
fishfiles, Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Alright, the LOCA UV oven session and Ultra-black sealing steps both went off very quickly this evening, so I coated the small enclosure with Wipe-New and it is hanging up curing. This 1st gizmo is completely finished now, except for the final pics.

All in all it turned out pretty decent although I wish I had drilled the hole for the red LED window a bit closer to the display window, cause that hole/viewport is not centered directly over the indicator LED. No biggie I guess... it still works fine its just not perfect. I was bound to make a mistake somewhere so I am content to accept this little one, rather than one of my usual catastrophic screwups... :-)

There are only three connections to be made on the bike for installation:

1) The red positive supply gizmo wire must be connected to a fused, ignition switched, B+ source. The White/black accessory power supply wire is an excellent candidate for that. The gizmo requires only about 110 milliamps max current (both relays engaged), so that 10 amp accessory circuit can still be used for other accessories.

2) The green negative ground gizmo terminal will bolt down to the frame using the existing ground bolt next to the CDI.

3) The black gizmo wire must connect to the Green/black wire near the cooling fan motor connector. Honda uses a natural colored 2-wire plastic connector there, we will have to snip that Green/black wire to connect our black gizmo wire.

The OEM oil temp sensor will be replaced with the gizmo's precision one. The light blue OEM sensor wire connector can be shrink tubed to seal it up and tied off somewhere along the harness in case you ever want to return the cooling system to stock.

I'll type up a PDF file (and print copies) with wiring & parameter menu setup/operating instructions for it this weekend while the Wipe-new finish is curing.

I'll be happy to install the gizmo as well, if you decide to make a roadtrip of it. We'll take it right downtown... :-)

post #115 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:05 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6853 times
Garage
The " Gizmo " lives !

_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #116 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:36 AM

Liked: 651 times
@retro you never fail to impress. And it actually sounds no more difficult than a winch to install. As much as I would love to make a road trip and get this installed and tested, with 2 Littles at home and the wife feeling miserable cause 3rd on the way, I'd have trouble making it happen.

If I do end up getting the first gizmo, I'll do my best to get someone to help me get it installed right away, and report back here on how the testing went on the machine. But I'm certainly in no rush if you were wanting to put the first one on your own.

Sounds like lots of time and $$ went into this gizmo. Sad part is honda could have probably done something very similar built into already existing parts for only a couple dollars more per machine, and have way more useful functionality.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #117 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Well @wheelsquad, if I remember correctly you are only about 6 hours SW of my village..? If ya'd care to have some extra hands on it from a backwoods stranger comin' to visit, I may be able to sneak away from my workloads for a day...? I'd enjoy meeting and chatting with you for sure! So thats an option, wouldn't cost ya much more than a bit of faux tolerance for a few hours, 'n I'd be gone. Shoot me an email... :-)

As far as costs to build these gizmos, it really is not as expensive as it might appear to be! Development costs were quite high because $$$ was invested in parts toward one idea... and then a holy grail was discovered and it required a bunch more research time, testing time and $$$ to learn how to put that together. None of those new parts that weren't needed will be waste though... they all fit very nicely in my parts bins and will be put to work eventually. Ya just can't stock too much stuff... no such thing in my mind unless/until I run out storage space.

Anyway, I'm pretty tickled that we were able to take a cheap china ST Micro dev-board knockoff, strip it of its useless parts and make something very useful and reliable out of it! Educations are not entirely free but this one has been a bargain me thinks! I'd do it all over again just for the challenge... so its all good... those costs are irrelevant and forgotten!

As it is my personal policy... there'll be no costs for this experimental gizmo passed onto you or anyone else. I prefer to offer universe a net gain wherever possible... 'n putting folks in debt runs counter to that practice. :-)

I want to thank y'all for making these explorations fun! And thanks again goes to @shadetree for donating two kick-butt chunks of brass to our project!
shadetree and _Wilson_ like this.

post #118 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 AM

Liked: 651 times
@retro, email sent
retro likes this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #119 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Here is the entire completed gizmo kit ready for installation and be put to work on @wheelsquad's Rancher 400AT. :-)

I've got about a weeks work remaining then I'll take pics of the 2nd one. I have made a different mounting bracket type for that one from extruded aluminum. The 2nd gizmo will mount on the left-side handlebar of my 350 Rancher and be integrated into the winch rocker switch mount. That gizmo will also be the new home for the start-in-any-gear mod electrics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	complete.png
Views:	13
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	136440  

post #120 of 211 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Pssshhht!... what's that sound..? Why, that's the chaser for a celebratory 'shine! The 2nd gizmo is done! :-)

In fact, the PS/Relays box is already mounted on the underside of my winch plate (in drilled/tapped holes) with two black oxide #10-32 buttonheads. I am burnt right out. My eyes are begging for mercy... but they both turned out well.

This will be the last of my gizmos' making until I get my head in line for round two later on in the summer, after I've waded a gazillion stream-miles. :-) So gimme 'till late July at least.

In the meantime @wheelsquad and I are getting our ducks in a row for a meetup. I'm really looking forward to that day. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	completed-0.png
Views:	13
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	136474   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed-1.png
Views:	11
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	136476  
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode