And in the meantime while @retro
is popping tops, the FBI is scheming their raid on this guy living in some backwoods place that keeps buying one-off circuit boards and enclosures...
They'd better pack along some portable x-ray equipment, their own lunches & ATVs, I got a lotta unmarked hollow trees scattered about out here, n' no marked trails through the woods! LOL :-)
I'll dump a few pics in here now before I go any further, cause soon, these bits will be assembled and hidden forever.
And yeah, they've been getting awesome'er an' awesome'er a lil' bit each day, if I may say so myself! Lotta steps to them though... 'n everything being fabbed up by hand, kinda sorta almost precisely. Lotsa glue 'n wait steps too, but only got two more gluing steps left now to be patient with, me thunks.
After sleeping on it I did figure out a way to move the boards down a bit more...! Which improved the sealing clearance at the top of the window a bunch. That original .016" markout was just too scary tight... I'm sure I'd have messed that window opening up, so I'm quite happy now that I took the time to move those PCBs down a bit. I had to put back some material that I had originally removed for mounting the boards using JB-weld for filler, now I will grind a small amount of that filler back out for relocating those boards where I put the new marks. I'm gonna use LOCA to mate/seal the display to the window gapless, its gonna work! :-)
In these pics you can see the mounting clamp assembly on the back cover that I made from extruded aluminum, then painted and baked in the oven. That clamp is drilled and tapped & semi-permanently mounted through the back cover using two #4-40 screws/washers and Ultra-black for glue/sealant. As you can see I have clamped a scrap strip of plastic in it so I won't knock the paint off of it while handling during the final assembly steps. The two clamp screws and nuts are #6-32s. I may swap some #8 or #10 screws in them though, if it turns out we need more clamping power. Stainless steel screws and washers would be nice to have there too, me thinks.
On the inside of the back cover you can see the 6 wires (two harnesses) shoved through 6 snug holes then zip-tied together to provide sharp bends in those wires right there, so they can't pull out... then JB-weld glued to stiffen that knot and seal them all through their holes in the cover. You can see the JB-weld filler I added back in on the mounting posts too. Those posts are gonna get ground down a bit for precisely relocating the PCB board. The PCB board will be permanently JB-weld mounted down there so it can't ever shift or move, if the enclosure ever has to take an angry blow from a fist. LOL :-)
The front cover is all put together now too. As you can see, the button strips that I had to use had 4 buttons... We only needed 3 buttons properly spaced to match the spacing of the 3 momentary switches on the PCBs and those strips were the only ones that I could find on the 'net that met that spacing spec... so I trimmed off the 4th button flush with the silicone rubber strip using a sharp razor blade and then fabbed a button strip frame & display window together using some 1/8' thick smoke-grey tinted polycarbonate. The button strip was glued/sealed into the back of the cover with Ultra-black and allowed to cure first, then JB-weld'ed into the polycarb frame and the entire frame JB-weld'ed down into the inside of the cover for a 100% waterproof seal. I also used Ultra-black to seal the polycarb around the display window opening... hopefully water won't be able to seep between those parts, become trapped and be any sort of nuisance inside there. I think everything'll be just fine, regardless. Its definitely a very strong and stiff enclosure now.
Stay tuned folks, more pics are due up this week as we finish massaging the final few strokes of life into this bugger. :-)