DIY Cooling Fan Gizmo - Page 10 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6298 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Yep, the same 30/40 amp Bosch style relay that I am putting in these will easily power two fans at the same time and then some. I overbuild everything that I solder together on purpose. :-)

I can configure for the relay to supply the negative ground for those two fans (OEM Honda default) or the positives, your choice depending on how your manual switch is wired.

EDIT: Can also provide a relay inside the box for your manual switch to take the fan current load off from that... make it last a lot longer.

Since the toggles are already wired to positive , that would likely save some work ----which way is better to have less a draw while it is sitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6638.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	136114  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
It doesn't matter which way its wired and there is no current draw wired either way, while sitting. Honda fuses the positive supply then uses the FCU to supply the ground for the fan. Its probably simpler for them to lay out and wire up is all. We'll just have to run a heavy positive supply wire into the box and switch that using relays rather than switch the ground side. I'll hollar at ya before I begin work on it... it'll be a while though... gotta do some catching up on things here before I dare to take time away for another gizmo.

post #93 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
it'll be a while though... gotta do some catching up on things here before I dare to take time away for another gizmo.

No hurry on my end , I don't plan on going any where !
retro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 AM

Liked: 565 times
@retro was I supposed to answer a question somewhere here about enclosure or cover?

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125
post #95 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

If I did it was an oldzhiemers' flareup! I think we are mounting the relays box under the KFI winch plate and the office unit on the cooling fins on the back of the lightbar..?

I was supposed to drop some progress pics in here today, but all I got done over the weekend was completion of all of the wiring harnesses and waterproof connectors. Kinda boring to look at... and as I got ready to wire up the relays boxes I decided to stop and order up some smaller sized shrink tubing to use for harness sheathing. Got another good lot of Nichicon filter caps on the way too, after my stash of small footprint caps emptied out.

Its gonna rain every other day for the next seven in a persistent troughing pattern, so I'll probably be indoors most days fabbing up the buttons and displays and getting those assemblies ready to calibrate and seal up... an' waiting on the last orders to show up. Unless I break something, we should have the 1st two gizmos done in about 7, maybe 10 days max.

post #96 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

A brief update.. got no more pics of interest yet tho.

I am working on the buttons & displays enclosures and have been, all week long. Its very tedious, multi-step work with fumbly fingers and straining eyes behind my magnification headset. I'm getting too old to be doing this kind of tiny work... just slow as all get out anymore!

Anyway, I got the two button strips fitted into the two enclosure covers by dremeling the button holes out to match the shape of each button. Each of the three buttons on each cover are flush mounted with the surface and seal to the covers from the inside. They ain't perfect looking, but they ain't too shabby looking either. They'll look nice once I've deburred the holes with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a q-tip, me thinks.

I have also made the two, one-piece button strip frames & display windows from 1/8" thick smoke-grey tinted polycarb. I gotta dremel out the square display window openings in the covers yet, then I'll JB-weld those frames and buttons into each cover.

There is no extra space inside these enclosures, no space to correct a mistake if/when I make one. So its slow work using the calipers to measure and mark out every little thing, in every which direction. For instance, the top of the display window opening will be .016" below the molded inset line in the cover unless I can figure a way to move the entire assembly down a few more thousands... and the top of the button strips only clear the bottom of the display window openings by .076" no matter what... and the three button holes had to be placed deadnut... thats too darn precise for my old eyes and hands.

So.... expecting that I might screw something up sooner or later, I ordered two more of those small enclosures today from mouser. And if I don't trash more than one of them I'll have enough parts left over to build another complete gizmo! Next one is R&D going to fishfiles' 450. I am learning a lot fabbing (and finding tools that I didn't remember I had, luckily!) these first two up. The next one just might be a little easier to pull off... I'll feel more confident anyways. :-)

I'll be celebrating, popping tops when these two enclosures are done. I'll dump some pics in here for ya's then.
fishfiles and _Wilson_ like this.

post #97 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
What kind of top does Retro pop ? I think would picture you as a Budweiser guy .
retro likes this.
post #98 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

The older I got the more I prefer naturally brewed stuffs. Industrial brews gives me headaches just as I'm getting going... its the chemical accelerators in them I think. But if I'm popping a few tops it might be any number of different brands, but hardly ever buy any anheiser-busch products. Right now I think I have some canadian labatts blue and keystone ice, which is made by coors I think... and one locally produced flavor stored at 38 degrees... n' ready. :-)

Variety is the spice of life they say...
_Wilson_ likes this.

post #99 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Variety is the spice of life they say ... that is true

I find that if I drink any other beer than Coors Lite , it will poison me , Heineken is the worst to me , 6 Hineys and I a trashed ----- if you look up alcohol in the Funk and Wagner it's definition is poison ----- I can see my Dad's refrigerator like it was in front of me , had Ice House , Keystone , St Paulie's Girl , MooseHead and Dixie he didn't have any problems with me drinking any of his beer
retro likes this.
post #100 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:35 AM

Liked: 565 times
And in the meantime while @retro is popping tops, the FBI is scheming their raid on this guy living in some backwoods place that keeps buying one-off circuit boards and enclosures...

It sounds awesome though, and so much more than I had pictured in my head when this thing started.
_Wilson_ and retro like this.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode