Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ojibwe Gichigami
Liked: 2768 times
A brief update.. got no more pics of interest yet tho.
I am working on the buttons & displays enclosures and have been, all week long. Its very tedious, multi-step work with fumbly fingers and straining eyes behind my magnification headset. I'm getting too old to be doing this kind of tiny work... just slow as all get out anymore!
Anyway, I got the two button strips fitted into the two enclosure covers by dremeling the button holes out to match the shape of each button. Each of the three buttons on each cover are flush mounted with the surface and seal to the covers from the inside. They ain't perfect looking, but they ain't too shabby looking either. They'll look nice once I've deburred the holes with some fine sandpaper wrapped around a q-tip, me thinks.
I have also made the two, one-piece button strip frames & display windows from 1/8" thick smoke-grey tinted polycarb. I gotta dremel out the square display window openings in the covers yet, then I'll JB-weld those frames and buttons into each cover.
There is no extra space inside these enclosures, no space to correct a mistake if/when I make one. So its slow work using the calipers to measure and mark out every little thing, in every which direction. For instance, the top of the display window opening will be .016" below the molded inset line in the cover unless I can figure a way to move the entire assembly down a few more thousands... and the top of the button strips only clear the bottom of the display window openings by .076" no matter what... and the three button holes had to be placed deadnut... thats too darn precise for my old eyes and hands.
So.... expecting that I might screw something up sooner or later, I ordered two more of those small enclosures today from mouser. And if I don't trash more than one of them I'll have enough parts left over to build another complete gizmo! Next one is R&D going to fishfiles' 450. I am learning a lot fabbing (and finding tools that I didn't remember I had, luckily!) these first two up. The next one just might be a little easier to pull off... I'll feel more confident anyways. :-)
I'll be celebrating, popping tops when these two enclosures are done. I'll dump some pics in here for ya's then.