Honda ATV Forum banner

1997 trx300fw

9K views 85 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeepwm69 
#1 ·
figured I would just start a build thread on this 1997 trx300fw that belongs to jeepwm69 instead of posting stuff about it in my other project build thread. i'll get some pics posted soon of his motor all apart, this way he can see what they look like on the inside...lol. right now I have the motor all torn apart, pieces are strong all over my shop ( hop they dont' run off ? ). what little I have done on the motor, going through each part at a time ?, everything seems to be in pretty good shape !!. motor really isn't even that nasty to be honest. I am waiting on the complete engine gasket kit, complete oil seal kit before I can start to put her all back together. in the mean time, I will start to clean the cases up I guess, seeing how I am on hold on my other build. I will be working both of these projects at the same time, so bare with me on this as I go.

#2 ·
here's some pics of jeeps trx300fw motor strung all out in my shop..lol. now if I can just remember where I put that dang spark plug ???..lol.

Attachments

#5 ·
Shade is doing this while I get to paint my 13 year old daughter's bedroom, and next up is the nursery.

I HATE painting unless it's a rattle can and outside. I end up with more paint on me, the floor, etc than I do where it's supposed to go. The wife can't be around the paint fumes but is in full nesting mode so I get to do it all.

That means very little wrench time for me lately, so I'm super lucky that Shade is doing this one for me. It's for my 15 year old daughter and at the rate I was going she would be grown, moved off, and married before I got to it.

Looks great man! Thanks again for doing it!

#7 ·
just placed an order for some oil seals that go in the transfer case, I hate spending the extra 7.95 for shipping when it doesn't weight nothing !..lol. oh well..crap happens, gotta have these seals to get-r-done !.

#8 ·
got some work done on jeeps trx300fw, crank in, idle gear in, transmission in, output shaft in, shift forks and shift drum in, waiting on gasket kit now.

Attachments

#10 ·
LOL. We've already had a spat or two. She likes to stand over me and tell me I'm doing it wrong. She does not, however, like it when I ask "Do YOU want to do it?" in response.

Our house was last painted in the 70's (it was my grandparents' house) so it was long overdue for a makeover.

On to Shade's work here. I have a front diff, driveshaft, and 2wd/4wd switch for @PowerStroke70's 450 all boxed up, along with some 300 bits, including gasket sets for both his 88 and this 97 for my daughter.

Something interesting. As I unpacked everything last night to put it in one box to send on to Shade, I found the Winderosa gasket kit that I ordered, and also a Quadboss gasket set. Quadboss? In my experience, usually not great quality. I ordered the gaskets from two different places, because the cheaper place only had one listed (ebay). I searched by Winderosa part number, which is 811900.

Apparently the Quadboss gaskets and Winderosa gaskets are just in different packaging. Same part number, but more importantly, exact same bar code. That means they are the EXACT SAME PART, just in different packaging.

Just something to keep in mind when ordering gaskets in the future. Search for the Winderosa part number, find the UPC code, and then search by the UPC code and you might get a cheaper option where they've been packaged under a different brand.

Anyhow, gasket kits with engine seals, air filters, and transfer case seals are in the box with Powerstroke's 450 stuff, and are on the way.

Heading to the post office now to mail it priority because Fedex apparently doesn't want to get in any hurry to pick it up (they were supposed to get it Friday, didn't show, and now they're saying tomorrow if I schedule a pickup this morning).

Attachments

#11 ·
i've seen quadboss around, never used their product though ?, never knew this was the same as winderosa though ?, maybe another name for '' all balls '' ?, I doubt it though, winderosa says made in '' usa '' ?, where is '' all balls is china..lol.
I know for a fact winderosa is a good product, used them many times in the past on my engine builds, mainly for oil seals though, and a couple gasket kits here and there. namura gasket kit are good as well, which is what I used in powerstrokes motor. they make decent pistons as well.

#13 ·
Interesting.

I have a feeling most of these companies in the aftermarket stuff (bearings, rack bags, gaskets, carbs, brake pads etc) all just repackage and sell stuff under their name. I doubt any of them actually manufacture anything.

The trick is, finding what they have that is good, and avoid what they have that is bad.

For example, the Caltric 300 diff gears look great. Their bearings that come with the gears are crap.

The Quadboss ujoints for the rear driveshafts are chinese crap. Apparently their gaskets kits are Made in the US.

I guess ultimately trial, error, and research are the only means to figure out what to use and what not to use.

#14 ·
Yes all over the place. I’ve never had bad luck with the Winderosa stuff. Wheel bearings I only buy OEM. Diff bearings I’ve ran a few sets of all balls with no problems, I figure when they are bathed in gear oil they stand a much better chance of lasting lol.

Ideally I’d just buy all OEM everything but like everyone else here, I’m not made of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
not much to say right now, I hope to see some gaskets and oil seals make it here today ?, then I can get this motor back together, and back in the frame tonight/tomorrow ?. got a lot of work on this motor build, just waiting on parts, all good though..i needed a break ..lol. good thing jeep did not care about a shinny silver motor ?!...lol. but I did clean it up some..it was green-ish !, from sitting under some tree's I guess ?..lol.

#24 ·
update: just got my order from partzilla for the front drive shaft oil seals, and the saga rolls on !. as you can see from the front of the package ?, it CLEARLY say's '' genuine parts '' in the first pic , then I flip it over, and as you can CLEARLY see what is printed on the back ! '' MADE IN CHINA '' I have no words for this. sad times ahead :-(.

Attachments

Reactions: retro
#25 ·
I think my saying works here , " If all you got is lemons , make lemon-aid " , = it could be worst and be no longer available , at least we are still getting parts , I am with you and would rather have Japan parts on my Honda ----let us hope that at the least Honda has some guidelines for China made parts with their name on them , I think China can make good stuff if they have to , but it cuts into their profits , so they specialize in cheap junk

#28 ·
and you keep buying china products, they need all the help they can get !..lol. me ?, to heck with that crap !..lol.

#29 ·
update: finally got this trx300fw motor together, well..almosttttttt !!, jeep forgot to send me the output shaft oil seals for the rear output drive...lol. but I did get pretty much all of his motor back together tonight. here's some eye candy for all you pic perv's.

Attachments

#32 ·
partzilla has started ( been dong it for awhile) to sell china parts, in a honda bag, at a honda price !.

#35 ·
nothing to add to this thread today/tonight, on hold until I get the output shaft oil seal from jeep. prob won't see it until weds ?..I hope !. thats the only thing keeping me from getting the motor in the frame, everything hooked back up, and pushing that start button !.

#36 ·
Sorry if I missed anything, but this engine is all stock? Or bored over?

#38 ·
Once I get it back from Shadetree, my plan is Rick's CDI, 424, 420 disc brakes up front, start in gear feature with Foreman M/C and brake lever, Warn winch, and he already installed a 350D rear end for me. I already have all the parts except the Rick's CDI. Just have to get them installed.

This 300 had really nice tan fenders and tank, so it will be a nice looking machine, and of course, with Shadetree doing the engine work, hopefully it will outlast me.

#39 ·
well crap, no oil seals made it in from jeep today ?!..said heck with it ( thats putting it nicely ! ), just went to my local honda dealership, bought two rear outout shaft seals there. the way my day has gone up until now, i'll wait until Thursday to get back to work on this, all the signs were showing up today for me, my gut feeling tells me not to touch this project tonight !..lol. sooooooo..i'll dig in tomorrow.

Reactions: wheeler
#40 ·
update: ok, I got bored, figured i'd go put the motor in the frame at least, got that done, decided to get the carb in, thought..ok, may as well put the engine oil in, did that. thought..well crap, i'm about ready to see if this thing is gonna run ?. rounded up my fuel squirt can, some fresh fuel, my fuel hose, stuck it on the carb, filled the line up to the top of it, turned the key on, made sure I had spark on spark plug, yep !, put plug in, tightened it down, flipped choke lever over, second kick..SHE LIVES !!!. shut her down ( you should not run them long at all without the header on , or you will burn a valve very quickly ! ), called it a night, will go back out tomorrow, get fresh fuel in tank, air box in, oem snorkel installed, all that stuff, get muffler back on, get her fired up to test my transmission out, make sure she shifts through all gears. if all goes to plan, I hope to have this out of my shop around 1:00 pm tomorrow ?, and if so ?, i'll be sending a text to jeep telling him to come get it Saturday just like I promised him ! :).

#42 ·
I ain't betting you anything !..lol. you can just take them back home with ya. pay me for the ones I bought, and those other trans seals, and we'll call it good. as for this project ?..SHE'S DONE !. just came in from finishing her up, went through all gears, shifts like she's suppose to. starts on first kick every time. good to go back home now. i'll get it out of my shop now so I can clean up a tad, and get back to work on powerstrokes trx450S.

#43 ·
well outlaws, another honda atv rides and runs again, jeep just left, pretty sure he's happy with the way this project turned out !. he's gonna post updates to the thread here as he gets it all back together body wise. was very glad to help him out on this, his daughter should be one very happy gal when she's riding this :). here's a pic of her all loaded, headed east bound and down !.

Attachments

#44 ·
Got home with this thing, went to kick it over, and it wouldn’t start.��

Then realized it was in gear lol. Fired right off, sounds like a sewing machine.

Wife is flying out in a bit to visit her sister, so when I get back from taking her to the airport I’ll post up some more pics and get started on 424 installation and see if I can find the 420 brakes I’ve been hoarding for this project.

Huge THANK YOU to Shadetree for his work. Most people around here were shocked that I let someone work on my stuff, and I tell them he’s the teacher. I knew if he did it it would be right. Sounds like a new 300.

#48 ·
Got home with this thing, went to kick it over, and it wouldn’t start.��

Then realized it was in gear lol. Fired right off, sounds like a sewing machine.

Wife is flying out in a bit to visit her sister, so when I get back from taking her to the airport I’ll post up some more pics and get started on 424 installation and see if I can find the 420 brakes I’ve been hoarding for this project.

Huge THANK YOU to Shadetree for his work. Most people around here were shocked that I let someone work on my stuff, and I tell them he’s the teacher. I knew if he did it it would be right. Sounds like a new 300.
of all ppl bro, you should know if its not right by me ?, it won't get done by me !, nuff said.

Reactions: Jeepwm69
#45 ·
Started on this a littel bit. I painted the rear part of the frame, got my fenders somewhat cleaned up, and dug through my parts stash to discover I'm out of 420 knuckles (apparently I used them all on other people's Rancher 350's so all I have now are 500 knuckles).

So, that puts the front brakes on hold for the time being, thus the working on fenders now as opposed to later.

The front has some staining and I'm not sure what it is. I used Aircraft remover (paint stripper) and 0000 steel wool to try to get the stuff off, but with limited success (see pics). Also have the imprint of the big 4X4 stickers on the rear fenders showing. Anyone have any suggestions on what might clean this crud off?

Today after work I'm going to install a Warn A2000 winch I've had set aside in the shop, and if I have time, I might try to get the front end taken apart and get the 424 in place and get the diff bolted back in.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.