Honda ATV Forum

Honda ATV Forum (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/)
-   Builds, Projects & DIY (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/)
-   -   1997 trx300fw (https://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/builds-projects-diy/127794-1997-trx300fw.html)

shadetree 03-02-2019 07:31 AM

1997 trx300fw

figured I would just start a build thread on this 1997 trx300fw that belongs to jeepwm69 instead of posting stuff about it in my other project build thread. i'll get some pics posted soon of his motor all apart, this way he can see what they look like on the inside...lol. right now I have the motor all torn apart, pieces are strong all over my shop ( hop they dont' run off ? ). what little I have done on the motor, going through each part at a time ?, everything seems to be in pretty good shape !!. motor really isn't even that nasty to be honest. I am waiting on the complete engine gasket kit, complete oil seal kit before I can start to put her all back together. in the mean time, I will start to clean the cases up I guess, seeing how I am on hold on my other build. I will be working both of these projects at the same time, so bare with me on this as I go.

shadetree 03-02-2019 07:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here's some pics of jeeps trx300fw motor strung all out in my shop..lol. now if I can just remember where I put that dang spark plug ???..lol.

GirlsRideToo 03-02-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadetree (Post 1274060)
here's some pics of jeeps trx300fw motor strung all out in my shop..lol. now if I can just remember where I put that dang spark plug ???..lol.

Don't wear out that ratchet wrench! :) Great work. Look forward to more pics.

shadetree 03-02-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo (Post 1274094)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadetree (Post 1274060)

Don't wear out that ratchet wrench! :) Great work. Look forward to more pics.

only thing wore out right now....IS ME !..LOL.

Jeepwm69 03-04-2019 09:08 AM

Shade is doing this while I get to paint my 13 year old daughter's bedroom, and next up is the nursery.

I HATE painting unless it's a rattle can and outside. I end up with more paint on me, the floor, etc than I do where it's supposed to go. The wife can't be around the paint fumes but is in full nesting mode so I get to do it all.

That means very little wrench time for me lately, so I'm super lucky that Shade is doing this one for me. It's for my 15 year old daughter and at the rate I was going she would be grown, moved off, and married before I got to it.

Looks great man! Thanks again for doing it!

shadetree 03-04-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 1274410)
Shade is doing this while I get to paint my 13 year old daughter's bedroom, and next up is the nursery.

I HATE painting unless it's a rattle can and outside. I end up with more paint on me, the floor, etc than I do where it's supposed to go. The wife can't be around the paint fumes but is in full nesting mode so I get to do it all.

That means very little wrench time for me lately, so I'm super lucky that Shade is doing this one for me. It's for my 15 year old daughter and at the rate I was going she would be grown, moved off, and married before I got to it.

Looks great man! Thanks again for doing it!

anytime for you bro !, its my pleasure helping someone out..spec you !!.

shadetree 03-04-2019 11:23 AM

just placed an order for some oil seals that go in the transfer case, I hate spending the extra 7.95 for shipping when it doesn't weight nothing !..lol. oh well..crap happens, gotta have these seals to get-r-done !.

shadetree 03-04-2019 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got some work done on jeeps trx300fw, crank in, idle gear in, transmission in, output shaft in, shift forks and shift drum in, waiting on gasket kit now.

GirlsRideToo 03-04-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 (Post 1274410)

That means very little wrench time for me lately..!

Yep, the l Nesting stage requires you to forget about wrenching and paint and paint, until she says stop and your reply to any comment she makes must be "yes, dear". It's a well known fact and will likely keep her from hitting you up beside the head with one of your extra axles. Pay attention to what you're doing and don't even think about painting a big red H with wings under it on that nursery wall. She will not be entertained. Well, unless you paint a teddybear beside it. 👶 🍼

Jeepwm69 03-05-2019 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL. We've already had a spat or two. She likes to stand over me and tell me I'm doing it wrong. She does not, however, like it when I ask "Do YOU want to do it?" in response.

Our house was last painted in the 70's (it was my grandparents' house) so it was long overdue for a makeover.

On to Shade's work here. I have a front diff, driveshaft, and 2wd/4wd switch for @PowerStroke70's 450 all boxed up, along with some 300 bits, including gasket sets for both his 88 and this 97 for my daughter.

Something interesting. As I unpacked everything last night to put it in one box to send on to Shade, I found the Winderosa gasket kit that I ordered, and also a Quadboss gasket set. Quadboss? In my experience, usually not great quality. I ordered the gaskets from two different places, because the cheaper place only had one listed (ebay). I searched by Winderosa part number, which is 811900.

Apparently the Quadboss gaskets and Winderosa gaskets are just in different packaging. Same part number, but more importantly, exact same bar code. That means they are the EXACT SAME PART, just in different packaging.

Just something to keep in mind when ordering gaskets in the future. Search for the Winderosa part number, find the UPC code, and then search by the UPC code and you might get a cheaper option where they've been packaged under a different brand.

Anyhow, gasket kits with engine seals, air filters, and transfer case seals are in the box with Powerstroke's 450 stuff, and are on the way.

Heading to the post office now to mail it priority because Fedex apparently doesn't want to get in any hurry to pick it up (they were supposed to get it Friday, didn't show, and now they're saying tomorrow if I schedule a pickup this morning).