1997 trx300fw - Page 8 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

Liked: 3228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
The front rack on my Rancher was pushed back like yours when I got it, one of the brackets that the tops of the fender mounts to was partially flattened. Once I straitened that flattened bracket up nothing would fit anymore... was a head-scratcher, didn't make any sense cause nothing else looked bent... ended up being the rear supports on the rack were bent (they're sorta dog-leg shaped) where they go down through the top of the fender to bolt to the frame near the row of harness plugs. I slid a pipe over each one and bent them a little at a time (trial and error, I didn't know what was wrong at the time), until all of the bolts lined up... those fender mount holes miraculously centered up too. I had spent hours looking at that thing, clueless... :-)
Well as I've gotten older I've gotten a little, tiny big more patient, so hopefully I can tweak this thing and get it straightened up. Or I'll ruin it trying and end up having to get another one LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1403 times
I hooked up my winch controller and accessory lights by building Y-leads using a scrapped out ignition switches—same pink and green wires with bullet connectors.

Hey where can i get stockish bullet connectors with those rubber boots?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Liked: 445 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
The front rack on my Rancher was pushed back like yours when I got it, one of the brackets that the tops of the fender mounts to was partially flattened. Once I straitened that flattened bracket up nothing would fit anymore... was a head-scratcher, didn't make any sense cause nothing else looked bent... ended up being the rear supports on the rack were bent (they're sorta dog-leg shaped) where they go down through the top of the fender to bolt to the frame near the row of harness plugs. I slid a pipe over each one and bent them a little at a time (trial and error, I didn't know what was wrong at the time), until all of the bolts lined up... those fender mount holes miraculously centered up too. I had spent hours looking at that thing, clueless... :-)
Well as I've gotten older I've gotten a little, tiny big more patient, so hopefully I can tweak this thing and get it straightened up. Or I'll ruin it trying and end up having to get another one LOL
@retro stole my post or he has ESP. I had the exact problem on my new rear rack on my Rancher. Not only did the bolt holes on the rack and the frame not line up, the holes in my new shiny red fenders did not line up to the holes on the rack, of course. I spent days and days trying to figure out what was bent and where. All was off by only about 1/8 inch but it was enough that the bolts going up through the fender to the rack would be putting pressure on the plastic and cause it to crack sooner than later.

I measure everything with every tool I had and finally determined that the left rear arm of the frame, where the muffler attaches, was bent slightly up and out. I didn't have a pipe large enough to slide over the arm, so I used a ratchet strap attached to the arm and down low on the right frame. @shadetree told me how to do this so he gets all the credit.
With slow careful ratcheting I was able to fix the problem.
shadetree and Jeepwm69 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
I hooked up my winch controller and accessory lights by building Y-leads using a scrapped out ignition switches—same pink and green wires with bullet connectors.

Hey where can i get stockish bullet connectors with those rubber boots?
Don't know about rubber boots. I've been using these for awhile. Work fine, will plug into factory bullet connectors perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Electr...0AAOSwAopbYLHG
Goober likes this.
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Didn't get much done on the 300 this weekend. Wife is hopping about finishing up painting in the nursery so still working on that.

I did cut the front rack hoop center support out and bolt in a single row LED lightbar. Haven't had time to get try "adjusting" the front end mounting points yet.

I also rebuilt a used 424 I picked up a while back. Put new bearings and seals in it. The rebuild kits are about 100, and all this one really needed was cleaning and one bearing was iffy so I just got the bearings and seals and reused the rest. Bearings were Koyo 6906-2RS and the seals were a stock Honda part (can't remember the part number/size off the top of my head) and were surprisingly cheap for two new bearings and 2 new seals. I had to make a new gasket out of a cereal box and used Threebond on the joint when I bolted it back together. Seems to work fine. Got the 424 for $75 so I have about $100 in it.
Goober and retro like this.
post #76 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 AM

I got fender flares, floorboards, and rear rack installed Friday afternoon late. Also got my decal kit from blue line graphics installed.

Still have to install the front rack (I did some bending around on both the front bumper and the rack supports and have it pretty straight now), and mount the 424 knob assembly. I'm torn between mounting it to the fender or mounting it to the rack.

And of course, I haven't fixed the carb leak yet. Still have to do that as well, but have been working in the mud and drizzle so have stuck with easy stuff for the last few days.
retro likes this.
post #77 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Got the front rack painted and lightbar installed this morning before work. Decided to mount the 424 to the fender. Required drilling a couple of holes but as far forward as the racks sit on a 300 I didn't want to have the selector knob that far forward.

All I have left to do now is get the leaky carb straight and it should be ready to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	136464   Click image for larger version

Name:	3001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	136466  
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #78 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4273 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Got the front rack painted and lightbar installed this morning before work. Decided to mount the 424 to the fender. Required drilling a couple of holes but as far forward as the racks sit on a 300 I didn't want to have the selector knob that far forward.

All I have left to do now is get the leaky carb straight and it should be ready to go!
this is the pump I replaced on my '88 ---> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . its china, and they dont ship very fast ?, but so far, its worth the cash, hasn't leaked yet ?..lol.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #79 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3143 times
Thats a sharp and clean & neat looking 300!
Jeepwm69 likes this.

post #80 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Thanks! Honestly it wasn't in terrible shape to begin with, so that makes them much easier to clean up.
retro likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode