'97 Recon TRX250 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 351 times
Garage
'97 Recon TRX250

"Little Red' began having problems last week after sitting for about 3 months. For past 19 years he has always cranked first time every time, but not now. I removed the carb and gas tank for cleaning. This is when I saw the dirt and rust.

The carb had a rebuild kit installed about 1 year ago. More about that in another post.

My first question for this post is how do you clean all the dirt off the inside? There's dirt on the wiring and I don't want to get water where it should not be. This is why I need your advice about cleaning. How would you do it?

Oh, some of that dirt looks like rust. There is rust but not as bad as appears in the photos.

Thanks for your help. I have a really big sentimental attachment to this machine but circumstances have prevented me from taking care of him as I should have for the past few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recon2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	130692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recon1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	130694  
Goober, _Wilson_ and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1283 times
Wow nice looking quad. Yep I would avoid spraying water on a quad that’s not running just because of the rust factor.

Try using a shop vac and bottle brushes to get most of the dirt off.

You can also use wet rags to wipe it down. Laborious process but also helps you find loose bolts cracks in frame members and “hey what’s this” stuff.

Once you get those areas clean then you’ll be able to better treat those rust spots with a few brushstrokes of rust reformer

Hope this helps you

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
got wet from ridding in rain ?, washing it down ?, then never got dried. most of what I see is wear areas from plastics rubbing the frame. only way your going to fix that ?, is a complete tear down, some grinding/sanding , then a paint job. if you decide to give it a power washer job ?, MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK OFF ANY AND ALL AREAS OF WATER GETTING INTO THE MOTOR !!!. stay away from any electrical connection as much as posb if you use a power washer ?. this will not come out very well..lol. if you do get water in the connectors ?, pull them apart, blow them out with an air compressor , then spray ( what I do anyway ) wd-40 into them. I don't ride in anything over the center of my center caps on my wheels, so I know I wont damage my atv. if I wash it down with a hose or power washer ?, I never..ever..aim it at anything electrical, or near anywhere it can get into my engine..such as vent lines, carb, air boxes.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2772 times
I don't like working on dirty bikes. I'd block up the intake and the muffler with something suitable and power wash the entire bike thoroughly and fearlessly. You'll want to open every connector on the bike for cleaning and dielectric greasing anyway... that is routine preventive maintenance. This is a project thread, right? Start clean, stay clean...

I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress!

post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Wow nice looking quad. Yep I would avoid spraying water on a quad that’s not running just because of the rust factor.

Try using a shop vac and bottle brushes to get most of the dirt off.

You can also use wet rags to wipe it down. Laborious process but also helps you find loose bolts cracks in frame members and “hey what’s this” stuff.

Once you get those areas clean then you’ll be able to better treat those rust spots with a few brushstrokes of rust reformer

Hope this helps you
Thanks for great suggestion. Will give this a try!!
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
got wet from ridding in rain ?, washing it down ?, then never got dried. most of what I see is wear areas from plastics rubbing the frame. only way your going to fix that ?, is a complete tear down, some grinding/sanding , then a paint job. if you decide to give it a power washer job ?, MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK OFF ANY AND ALL AREAS OF WATER GETTING INTO THE MOTOR !!!. stay away from any electrical connection as much as posb if you use a power washer ?. this will not come out very well..lol. if you do get water in the connectors ?, pull them apart, blow them out with an air compressor , then spray ( what I do anyway ) wd-40 into them. I don't ride in anything over the center of my center caps on my wheels, so I know I wont damage my atv. if I wash it down with a hose or power washer ?, I never..ever..aim it at anything electrical, or near anywhere it can get into my engine..such as vent lines, carb, air boxes.
Okay, I admit that over the years he never got washed and dried a lot of times and that's on me. However, I can guarantee beyond any doubt that this machine has NEVER been in water or mud higher than the center of the wheel caps, even when my friend rode it. I was with him and his wife. The almost 20 years prior to this I was the only person who rode him.

"Complete tear down" is enough to keep me awake at night, but I understand and will do this as far as I can. I'm having trouble getting the front fender off because of the headlight wiring. There is no connector to disconnect. The wires are all "spliced" together. I guess I'll have to take out the entire headline assembly. When I did this on my hubby's Yamaha it was a nightmare getting it back together. The back rack and fender should come off without too much trouble, I hope.

I'll skip the pressure washer and do it by hand since I can't be sure I won't wet something I shouldn't. As @Goober said, doing it by hand will allow me see where all those hoses are routed and electrical connections are. I will clean the connections of dust/dirt and use proper grease before reconnecting.

I did find a manual on the Forum but Google only allows me to print one page at a time. I don't know why.

As always, thank you for your great advice and guidance.
shadetree likes this.
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I don't like working on dirty bikes. I'd block up the intake and the muffler with something suitable and power wash the entire bike thoroughly and fearlessly. You'll want to open every connector on the bike for cleaning and dielectric greasing anyway... that is routine preventive maintenance. This is a project thread, right? Start clean, stay clean...

As I told @shadetree and @Goober I will forgo the pressure washer for now. I don't trust myself. LOL

Will use the dielectric grease as suggested. I'm sure those connections need it!

Yes, my project thread. It's guaranteed to be entertaining as you follow along with a girl who thinks she's a mechanic. I only had to take the carburetor out of the Yamaha 4 times before it was rebuilt and adjusted properly. I'm thinking I can do this one in only 3.
shadetree, Goober and retro like this.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2772 times
Fair enough! Don't do any stuff you aren't comfortable doing. You may download the service manual... then you can print off the relevant sections of it as needed, or print the entire PDF file if you wish.
Goober likes this.

post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post

As I told @shadetree and @Goober I will forgo the pressure washer for now. I don't trust myself. LOL

Will use the dielectric grease as suggested. I'm sure those connections need it!

Yes, my project thread. It's guaranteed to be entertaining as you follow along with a girl who thinks she's a mechanic. I only had to take the carburetor out of the Yamaha 4 times before it was rebuilt and adjusted properly. I'm thinking I can do this one in only 3.
lol..i got a lot of respect for a girl who thinks she's a mechanic ?..spec one thats an ex-wife !!..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post

lol..i got a lot of respect for a girl who thinks she's a mechanic ?..spec one thats an ex-wife !!..lol.
If only you'd told me that back when.... things might have been different. No, there's too much water under the bridge to look back. I simply can't go back to wiping grease off all the doorknobs, chasing your dropped ballbearings all over the garage floor....... and don't forget the time you left that dielectric grease in the kitchen and I almost fried the chicken in it! And, screening all the phone calls from bewildered customers after you told them to order a part that didn't exist. That was the last straw. But, we've moved on and I'm glad we can now be friends.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode