'97 Recon TRX250 - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 509 times
Garage
Back to my project......

I searched the Internet and this forum and found no answer to my question.

I checked the 6 month old air filter last night. It is still bright yellow and appears clean. The airbox had only a trace of dark goo in the bottom, only in one corner. The airbox has not been cleaned in a long time so it was amazingly clean. The rubber-type covers on the two drain tubes were not very dirty. The problem is the ODOR of the filter. I've never smelled anything like it! It's not the smell of gasoline or oil. I know what those smell like. The odor is very strong and "rancid". I had to put the filter in a plastic bag to keep the smell from filing up my garage. What is causing this odor on the filter??? Does a mixture of oil and gas really smell this bad??? Does diesel smell this bad?? This filter was installed by my former rip-off mechanic and I have no idea what he did or didn't do as part of his "tune-up".

I drained the gas tank to clean it. The gas smelled like gas. There was still fuel draining from the fuel line with petcock in Off position so I ordered a new one. It's never been changed to my knowledge.

I checked the oil and it is at proper level, but the engine was cold, of course. Oil is light yellow color but, Yikes, it does have a slight smell of gas.

When I inspected the carb it does look like it's been cleaned recently and maybe even new parts. However, the strange thing is that the pin that holds the float is a simple straight pin with no flange at either end. So, if you tilt the carb the pin falls out! There's nothing to hold the float securely in place. i bet this pin was a part of a cheap carb rebuilt kit.
Also, one of the 3 vacuum lines on the carb appears to have been replaced but it was cut too short and barely slips onto the connection and there was no type clip to hold it on. Because it was too short it was not routed as shown in the manual. It pulled off too easily. It's just a small black tubing with no markings. Can't explain it; it just looks wrong so I ordered new tubing. I figured it can't hurt to replace it with OEM tubing routed correctly.

I hope this filter smell and gas smell in the oil is caused by the carburetor needing a rebuild, leaking petcock and fact that machine has been sitting past 3 months.

Will install OEM carb kit and replace vacuum hose with clips.
Will install new petcock and fuel line.
Will change the oil.
Will replace oil and air filter. Will check oil seal.
Will take a look at spark plug later today.

If/when I get it running I will do compression test on engine.

Am I missing anything at this point??
Goober likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post

lol..i got a lot of respect for a girl who thinks she's a mechanic ?..spec one thats an ex-wife !!..lol.
If only you'd told me that back when.... things might have been different. No, there's too much water under the bridge to look back. I simply can't go back to wiping grease off all the doorknobs, chasing your dropped ballbearings all over the garage floor....... and don't forget the time you left that dielectric grease in the kitchen and I almost fried the chicken in it! And, screening all the phone calls from bewildered customers after you told them to order a part that didn't exist. That was the last straw. But, we've moved on and I'm glad we can now be friends.
lol..too funny ^^^ !

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Back to my project......

I searched the Internet and this forum and found no answer to my question.

I checked the 6 month old air filter last night. It is still bright yellow and appears clean. The airbox had only a trace of dark goo in the bottom, only in one corner. The airbox has not been cleaned in a long time so it was amazingly clean. The rubber-type covers on the two drain tubes were not very dirty. The problem is the ODOR of the filter. I've never smelled anything like it! It's not the smell of gasoline or oil. I know what those smell like. The odor is very strong and "rancid". I had to put the filter in a plastic bag to keep the smell from filing up my garage. What is causing this odor on the filter??? Does a mixture of oil and gas really smell this bad??? Does diesel smell this bad?? This filter was installed by my former rip-off mechanic and I have no idea what he did or didn't do as part of his "tune-up".

I drained the gas tank to clean it. The gas smelled like gas. There was still fuel draining from the fuel line with petcock in Off position so I ordered a new one. It's never been changed to my knowledge.

I checked the oil and it is at proper level, but the engine was cold, of course. Oil is light yellow color but, Yikes, it does have a slight smell of gas.

When I inspected the carb it does look like it's been cleaned recently and maybe even new parts. However, the strange thing is that the pin that holds the float is a simple straight pin with no flange at either end. So, if you tilt the carb the pin falls out! There's nothing to hold the float securely in place. i bet this pin was a part of a cheap carb rebuilt kit.
Also, one of the 3 vacuum lines on the carb appears to have been replaced but it was cut too short and barely slips onto the connection and there was no type clip to hold it on. Because it was too short it was not routed as shown in the manual. It pulled off too easily. It's just a small black tubing with no markings. Can't explain it; it just looks wrong so I ordered new tubing. I figured it can't hurt to replace it with OEM tubing routed correctly.

I hope this filter smell and gas smell in the oil is caused by the carburetor needing a rebuild, leaking petcock and fact that machine has been sitting past 3 months.

Will install OEM carb kit and replace vacuum hose with clips.
Will install new petcock and fuel line.
Will change the oil.
Will replace oil and air filter. Will check oil seal.
Will take a look at spark plug later today.

If/when I get it running I will do compression test on engine.

Am I missing anything at this point??
sounds like you got everything covered to me ?. but I might add, drain/replace rear diff gear oil. as for the smell ?, hard to say ?, if its bad gas ?, it does smell bad. good thing your changing oil !. DO NOT RUN IT WITH FUEL MIXED IN THE OIL !. use some hot soapy water, clean the air filter, put some fresh engine oil and the filter in a bag, soak it, pull the filter out, squeeze it too get most of the oil out of filter, install it. as for the carb float pin ?, some are a loose fit ?, and most are straight , they do not come in any rebuild kits that I know of ?, must be oem.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
sounds like you got everything covered to me ?. but I might add, drain/replace rear diff gear oil. as for the smell ?, hard to say ?, if its bad gas ?, it does smell bad. good thing your changing oil !. DO NOT RUN IT WITH FUEL MIXED IN THE OIL !. use some hot soapy water, clean the air filter, put some fresh engine oil and the filter in a bag, soak it, pull the filter out, squeeze it too get most of the oil out of filter, install it. as for the carb float pin ?, some are a loose fit ?, and most are straight , they do not come in any rebuild kits that I know of ?, must be oem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the helpful hint about the rear diff gear oil. Will do that!

Great info about the carb float pin. The Yamaha pin only goes in and out one way and it requires a small punch and light tap to get the pin out. I thought the Honda would be the same. Silly me. That needs to be the very last part I insert because it's easy to lose when it falls out. LOL

Last edited by GirlsRideToo; 11-07-2018 at 02:53 PM.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Project is moving along. I've cleaned the air filter, cleaned the gas tank and rebuilt the carb. Have not put things back together yet. I have cleaned all the cables by hand. Spent past 3 days sanding and applying rust converter to frame. I have attached some photos. You can see the frame before and after one coat of converter. Have applied two more coats. Another photo is of the rear diff guard. I applied the converter to half so you could see how it looks before and after.
Tonight I am taking apart and cleaning the electrical connections and will apply dielectric grease.
I have not taken the tires off yet because I need to be able to roll him out to get my golf cart out of the garage. Will then put him back in first and remove the tires and see where that leads......
Tomorrow, I plan to change the oil and diff fluids....
So far so good. I'll post again after I get him back together and see if he'll crank.. the moment of truth.
Could never have done this without you, @shadetree, @_Wilson_, @retro, @fishfiles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeforePriming.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	130826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Primed.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	130828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Primed2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	130830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	130832  
post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
looking pretty dang good !. I recommend you getting an atv lift !. it makes your life sooooooo much easier when working on atvs. bought mine some years ago, my back has thanked me every day sense !..lol. don't forget to pull the foot brake lever off the stud, sand the stud down as well as the inside of the lever, grease it, and put it back together. check the rear brake cable while your doing this. invest in a Dremel tool, with a few attachments , like the small wire wheels, cutting wheels, sanding drums, grinding wheels. best money spent in my book.

post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3213 times
Its looking good! And you're having fun aren't ya! Thanks for sharing!

post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 488 times
filter

my oil filter was looking bad, so i thought, it was dry in my own opinion, so i added some oil. it were still yellow at the time. the oil however, was not the right kind. it didnt disolve the yellow part of the filter, but the next gray layer, turned to goo, an slowly when through, the intake. i were green,, never again

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
looking pretty dang good !. I recommend you getting an atv lift !. it makes your life sooooooo much easier when working on atvs. bought mine some years ago, my back has thanked me every day sense !..lol. don't forget to pull the foot brake lever off the stud, sand the stud down as well as the inside of the lever, grease it, and put it back together. check the rear brake cable while your doing this. invest in a Dremel tool, with a few attachments , like the small wire wheels, cutting wheels, sanding drums, grinding wheels. best money spent in my book.
I almost bought a lift the other day and reminded myself that this will be my last ATV project. My garage has too much "stuff" and I'm trying to eliminate most of it so I don't want to add anything else....LOL.. yes, it's a pain laying on my back on this cold concrete floor.

I will pull all the brake parts off when I take off the wheels. It's amazing where you find dirt and crud. The brakes are not working very well. The cables are relatively new and move well. I feel sure new brake pads will be needed.

Oh I have a Dremel and lots of attachments!! I'm sure I'm going to need it for this project. It ranks right up there with my new impact wrench.
retro likes this.
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFTed View Post
my oil filter was looking bad, so i thought, it was dry in my own opinion, so i added some oil. it were still yellow at the time. the oil however, was not the right kind. it didnt disolve the yellow part of the filter, but the next gray layer, turned to goo, an slowly when through, the intake. i were green,, never again
Ouch!! @shadetree told me how to clean and oil the filter. I'll be sure I use the right oil!! No goo in my intake!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode