'97 Recon TRX250 - Page 12 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2779 times
Wow, thats quite a list! I think it looks fabulous too! Sure, the fenders are faded and oxidized badly, but you worked hard and improved them a bunch! The rest of the bike looks new or better than new. Outstanding accomplishments, all of them in my opinion! Outstanding (and thorough) work especially! I think we got us another builder... :-)

Whats up next?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 352 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Wow, thats quite a list! I think it looks fabulous too! Sure, the fenders are faded and oxidized badly, but you worked hard and improved them a bunch! The rest of the bike looks new or better than new. Outstanding accomplishments, all of them in my opinion! Outstanding (and thorough) work especially! I think we got us another builder... :-)

Whats up next?
Thank you my friend!! I have to admit it sure looks better. I don't feel guilty anymore for neglecting him for so long. LOL
I'm just proud that I now know what a carburetor is and where it's located. As I said, could not have done it without your help.

Next? Finish my Rancher. I'm waiting on the replacement left front fender and once that's on I'll be done except for different tires. After that? Cleaning my garage and selling used and extra parts.

Now, if I just had a good place to ride. LOL!!
retro likes this.
post #113 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 01:47 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6327 times
Garage
That looks really good ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsRideToo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Thanks for the update! Are you painting the racks with anything special?

I have a few racks & bumpers to repaint this winter... and I am undecided on the paint type I should try this time? So I am looking for ideas for a durable finish... :-)
So sorry. I seemed to have overlooked your question until now.

I'm still not sure which paint will be the most durable. I guess that depends upon how you use your front and rear racks. LOL. I load 25 lb bags on corn on mine. Sliding the bags on and off will scratch the racks. Also, sometimes I strap a soft cooler on the front and my backpack on the rear but this usually causes no problems. These racks are on my Rancher and I used Rustoleum Metal spray paint. Not only does it scratch easily it has faded after only a few months.

On the Recon I used two different paints for the front and rear. Why? I bought a can of Krylon Automotive paint and used the entire can on the rear rack and rear diff cover. I had two cans of Krylon Fushion on hand and decided to use it on the other rack and metal parts to see which one will hold up the best. There is little difference in the color appearance of the paint but the automotive paint has a much smoother finish and is harder to the touch. I think it will be more durable. I chose a semi-gloss in both brands.

As you know, it's all about the preparation in painting. As i said in another post, I highly recommend "Total Solution" rust converter for priming. I have used it for years on other metal projects including wrought iron. It seems expensive but when you realize how long 1 quart will last it's very inexpensive. You can coat a rear rack with about 1/4 cup and that's for 2 coats. Of course you'll waste your time if your metal is perfectly cleaned with no rust present. There are cheaper products to use in that case. Also, it does not adhere well to factory paint. You need to sand it lightly for best adhesion. Look at my post for examples of how this product looks after applied. It's really amazing. The best part is that you do not have to apply paint over it if you don't want to. It dries to a black color. I think it's perfect when you want to touch up rusty spots from time to time without having to paint the entire area.

I used a wire wheel in my drill followed by hand sanding with the last being 220 grit. I cleaned the racks with Acetone. I applied the Total Solution. 2 coats, and let it cure about 2 days. I applied a light coat of paint followed by another light coat 30 minutes later, per instructions. After about 1 hour I applied a third heavier coat. Most people don't realize the importance of following the time instructions to ensure a proper bonding of the paint. I like to wait a least a week for the paint to cure.

If the Krylon Fusion and/or Krylon Automotive paint do not hold up I'm going to try Benjamin Moore metal paint since I have a gallon on hand. It's a great paint for other metals but I'm not sure how it would hold up on ATV racks. I know that it does not fade in sunlight. LOL

One day I want to try a epoxy paint. It's expensive so I'll eliminate the other paints first. LOL
Thanks for posting the rust converter you used I’m off to find some

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #115 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Goober, don't be put off my the cost. A little goes a long long way. Literally, I work with 1/4 cup at a time. It's best to apply two thins coats rather than one thick coat. Follow other label instructions.
To get to hard to reach places, I have used sponge brushes to sort of push the product into tight spots. I've even used long q-tips. LOL
Goober and retro like this.
post #116 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1285 times
Quote:
@Goober, don't be put off my the cost. A little goes a long long way. Literally, I work with 1/4 cup at a time. It's best to apply two thins coats rather than one thick coat. Follow other label instructions.
To get to hard to reach places, I have used sponge brushes to sort of push the product into tight spots. I've even used long q-tips. LOL
$35 a quart—hoo boy—ok well it sounds worth the cost. i see they sell it on amazon. I bought similar here in town at ace hardware.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #117 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Quote:
$35 a quart–hoo boy–ok well it sounds worth the cost. i see they sell it on amazon. I bought similar here in town at ace hardware.
I have 2 large iron urns that I worked on this week. Here's a pic with one coat of Total Solution on only the center section of the urn. You can see where I stopped. I ended up doing three coats and will leave it as is. I prefer the rustic look.
Just wanted you to see this stuff in action. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Urn2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	136112  
retro likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode