2000 TRX450FM Build/Mods - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

1025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6319 times
Garage
Did not even think of leaving the key on ------if that had happened then that would make it even less than one mile per hour average over it's life ------515 miles isn't broken in on regular trails , I can only imagine what this bike may have seen in 515 miles , but it really isn't that rough of shape

try to get a battery today for it , but didn't get it done ----- washed the outside of my boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
After 4 days on the charger , the battery was hot enough that it spun over , the fuel tank is gone , it is funky inside and no fuel would come out of petcock , when I tried to unscrew the petcock the nuts that are molded into the plastic tank , they spun in the plastic , dug up another tank , hooked a IV bottle of fuel to the carb , instant over flow , took the carb off and started disassembling it and the jet head stripped out , I may have another carb , have to look ---------------- the seat was a pleasant surprise , under that camo cover was a perfect Honda seat with a decal under neath 3/15/2007 , so the seat has been replaced brand new OEM on the 2000 model , the snorkel job is terrible , the vent is going into the air box at the very bottle , they had cut another hole in the box and roughly cover it , didn't seal the joints to the boots , one mount ear broke off , all easily fixable , so I shot some starting fluid in it and she fired right up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6355.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	126580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6353.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	126582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6354.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	126584  
retro likes this.
post #23 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1957 times
It’s official, it’s now a project not a part out, you started digging into it lol.
rodp, _Wilson_ and retro like this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Still up on the fence , I know it will fire and run , how good don't know and the same with the transmission , clutch , rear end , front end

plan right now is find a good carb in my parts boxes or ez-out or drill the stripped jet out , put a carb and tank on it , and run it thru the gears before putting out any money
retro likes this.
post #25 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Here is a pic of the seat that was under the cover
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6356.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	126596  
retro likes this.
post #26 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
The Warn winch works , but there is a bird nest in the cable and I could only get 15 ft out , a new cable is needed , it has one of them twist knobs for a controller , not a fan of those , could easily be converted to a push button and solenoid --------

the 4x2 kick out is smooth and working

jacked it up and checked the wheel bearings , swing arm bearings , ball joints , tie rod ends , steering bearing and bushing and I can live with all of it , the front brakes even work , that blew my mind , no rear brakes , one axle tube seal leaking , oil in rear end very clean , still need to look at the front diff

something I thought of last night about the carb , I was told the carb had a jet kit in it to match the HMF muffler , the slow jet slotted head ( #34 in the pic below ) is destroyed and the slow jet is stuck in the carb , I don't think or know if the slow jet would really make a difference or be different in a jet kit for a HMF performance kit , I found another used 450 carb in the shed , that I could switch the other jets into and just don't worry about the slow jet ???????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6342.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	126618   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 carb .png
Views:	45
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	126620  
retro likes this.
post #27 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

See how it starts and idles, if you get a hesitation/lag/bog that’s difficult to get rid of then it wants a slow jet. I’d sell the HMF and put the money towards some nice wheels and tyres, I hate loud exhausts :-D
retro likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #28 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
It did sound a bit load when I ran it , not too bad ----- work is slow so I just came in from 2 hours of out in the yard ----- spent some time and found a nice looking 450 carb and took the best parts of both , using the 2 jets still good from the original carb on bike , one went from 128 to 145 , the other wasn't marked or I need a magnifying glass and put it all in the gallon soak can of carb cleaner , I'll see what happens

On the MHF , I really want to feel the difference as compared to my other 450 before making a call on it , still don't know where I am going with this one , I did spend $9 on it yesterday I was at Home Depot and bought the broken snorkel fitting , and a piece of pipe and 90 to extend the snorkel a bit and a can of flat black to paint it , it was bothering me looking at it broke , so $109 into it ------- I think if I cleaned it up , got it running half decent , like it sits ask $1,500 and use it to get the 4 inch drop a-arm and a swing arm with drive shaft ready to go for my red 300 and have $300 left over to play with , I am dreaming , I am hard core hoarder
SamUK and retro like this.
post #29 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Hoarder or not, you can run 29.5’s if your those A Arms :-) I can shop you a gear so you can get a primary made up to switch yours to 62% to run the bigger tyres ;-)

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

2004 Foreman 450S

post #30 of 1045 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2776 times
You'll win with that carb swap no problem. The stock pilot jet should be fine with that exhaust. Using stock jetting throughout might be OK too, until you try to high rev it, then it'll probably want a bigger main jet.

Your Warn looks like an A2000 or a 2.5ci... Warn sold an A2000 2500 lbs pull upgrade kit that only added a 6 gauge wiring kit to the A2000, providing an increase in capacity to 2500 lbs. They are the same winch as the 2.5ci model.

You have a solid finance plan... but that bike might be worth more than $1500 shortly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode