2000 TRX450FM Build/Mods - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

1118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7026 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Thanks for that. So in the first picture, there are two U bolts, one either side, holding the plate to the main frame down tubes and just after the bend in the plate are those two tabs (one either side) that fasten with the same bolt that hold the bumper to the frame?

Yep , that's it
SamUK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Quote:
I take it your not a fan of HMF mufflers ?
Nope, they've never given me a reason to like them. The way I see it, exhaust considerations should come near last in a motor build, else it can't possibly work with the design. I see them as expensive noise-makers and I'm probably too old to change... :-)
This bike is suppose to have some internal mods , a Wiseco piston , 500 head and then externally a HMF muffler , carb jet kit to match and a K+ N air filter , I have been lied to before about what's inside on Old Blue , remember I thought I had a 317 and found it to be a Charlie Special , do you know I have learned more about that story since , Dick's told me that he did put a 317 kit in that Blue One for him and that when he blew that jug out and was in a hurry to get running again , he replaced it with a OEM jug bored with a Wiseco piston , so maybe Ray didn't really know what he had when he sold it to me and I will give him the benefit of the doubt as I am more than happy with Blue these days for what I paid for it

As far as I got was , to get it under the shed and put a battery charger on it , the fuel tank smells soured , the engine oil is clear as honey , a seal is leaking on the rear axle but the bearings are all tight , I am going to try and start it on a IV bottle of fuel and see what happens this evening -------like I had said before the guy told me a story about how it was just redone and they ( who ever it was that did the work , I never heard of them ) could never get it to run right , what ever that means , says he spent a bundle on this bike , hope that is not a contagious thing
retro likes this.
post #13 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Liked: 3320 times
If it's all there fix it. You know what you're doing, so all it will take is a little time.
fishfiles and retro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3213 times
You have a lot of good spare 450 bike parts too, fishfiles! I know yer' itchin' to open up another project (aka personal challenge, who ain't?), so I think you should go for it! Don't let the sun go down on that bike! It'll be great fun! Besides, we've come to depend on your good humor (well, I have) and interesting experiences... head down, hammer down...! :-)
fishfiles and SamUK like this.

post #15 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2103 times
Yes, i have to admit that a build thread would prove useful to myself for future reference as it also would for all other members of the forum. I learnt a lot about 300’s from you Fish, are you preparing yourself for all the 450 questions as we speak?! Haha
Jeepwm69 and retro like this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #16 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I got home and tried to hit the key and see if it would turn over after being on the trickle charge almost 24 hours , nothing , not even a light on the dash , showing 1 volts on a meter , so I hooked a battery charge to it and the dash lights up , not enough juice to spin it over , just a click ------need a battery to go any farther , this one is stone dead

the milage and hours lit up while on the charger and I was kind of shocked , 515 miles and 501 hours -------
Jeepwm69 and retro like this.
post #17 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3213 times
...or 515 miles and 50.1 hours, hopefully?
SamUK likes this.

post #18 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
I looked again and the hours are right , those hours seem possible to me , this bike most probably spent it's whole life on mud trails at the Mud Parks , where the going is slow , I can say an hour a mile is not out the box , especially at night , people are getting stuck , I know with me at night , the motor never gets turned off , even during pit stops ---- a couple of years back a friend bought a 350 with almost identical hours and miles

so being I was told this bike was rebuilt recently , makes me think it was sunk , I don't know how far they went into it during the rebuild , I am going to try and drain the oil then stick my camera into the oil dip stick hole and try to get to the bottom of the case and see whats down there
retro likes this.
post #19 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Liked: 3320 times
Just remember if someone leaves the key on, the hour meter runs, even though it's not running.
post #20 of 1098 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Just remember if someone leaves the key on, the hour meter runs, even though it's not running.
Wow, I never would have thought that, thanks for the heads up.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode