96 TRX300A 2wd - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 7041 times
Garage
96 TRX300A 2wd

This is a 1996 TRX300A 2wd , gave it to my son for his first atv , the history on the bike is that it was a grandfather's atv and he gave it to his grandson , and it quit running and no fire to the plug , I had bought it cheap for a part bike , apparently the boy plugged something into the OEM power outlet at the handle bars and melted the wiring harness , I changed the harness and it runs great and is a very good bike , I did a 2wd disc conversion on the front already , the rear is the only 300 I have with a OEM 300 rear end still in it , going to run that one till it needs rebuilding and then drop a 250 rear end I have as a spare into it for him

things to do : find a green kick starter cover , a set of floor boards , new brake pads in the front and new shoes in the rear , snorkel it , a water proof storage box and some 26's with some heavy mud thread for the rear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	122841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2642.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	122849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2643.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	122857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3221 times
Tuned in... love new project threads.
fishfiles and SamUK like this.

post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:04 PM
jdp

Liked: 130 times
What are those wheels? I have to ask. For my advice to you, since it's a 2WD I'd avoid 26 inch tires and a snorkle like most people do, because there is a snorkle next to the tank that's hidden, so the air is no problem. As for the tires, the taller you go the less your gearing will be, I'd stick with a radial at the very least. Radial tires are rounder and that means less resistance to try to roll.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1993 Honda 300

Seafoam "In every tank"

Mobil1 4T 10w-40 (great stuff)

Superwinch Terra 35/synthetic rope, !/4 inch plate winch mount.

AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear. Soon to be changed to 4x4 wheels rear and STI Black Diamonds all around

Diehard Gold lawn tractor battery in rear storage box.

"Go prepared even if you think you don't need it".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
jdp , appreciate the tips , kind of set in my ways but do listen to everything I hear ----- those tires are the take offs from a 2016 Honda 500 my buddy bought and got new tires , the rims are OEM Honda alum rims , the tires are fairly new but not aggressive enough thread and only 10" wide , I have 26's x 12 Dirt Devils on one of my other 300 2wd's and it handles them well , no problems , I really don't feel I need radials as far as flats go , as it is all mud where we ride , I can count the flats on one hand in the last ten years on , I pump all the tires to 10psi cause I spend a lot of time in water , which I think makes them fill out more and be rounder like you mentioned radials would be and on the ones with 9" inches I think it gives you more floatation when in the water ------ the snorkel is very necessary , not that I am looking to see how deep I can go , it is an insurance policy cause it happens , we got some hole digging clowns around here , they will go hang out at one spot for an hour and take turns digging a pit
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM
jdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
jdp , appreciate the tips , kind of set in my ways but do listen to everything I hear ----- those tires are the take offs from a 2016 Honda 500 my buddy bought and got new tires , the rims are OEM Honda alum rims , the tires are fairly new but not aggressive enough thread and only 10" wide , I have 26's x 12 Dirt Devils on one of my other 300 2wd's and it handles them well , no problems , I really don't feel I need radials as far as flats go , as it is all mud where we ride , I can count the flats on one hand in the last ten years on , I pump all the tires to 10psi cause I spend a lot of time in water , which I think makes them fill out more and be rounder like you mentioned radials would be and on the ones with 9" inches I think it gives you more floatation when in the water ------ the snorkel is very necessary , not that I am looking to see how deep I can go , it is an insurance policy cause it happens , we got some hole digging clowns around here , they will go hang out at one spot for an hour and take turns digging a pit
Wow 500 wheels huh? You might be alright I was just worried cause the gearing for the 2WD and 4wd is different. No harm no fowl. Soon as I get the money saved up, Chronic flat spots will be gone replaced by Black Diamonds.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1993 Honda 300

Seafoam "In every tank"

AMS Swampfox front 23x8x11, GBC dirt devils 25x12x9 rear. Soon to be changed to 4x4 wheels rear and STI Black Diamonds all around

post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
JDP , All 300 Fourtax rear ends have the same ratio 2wd or 4wd ------ saving money is a hard thing to do !
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
went to get a jump on a brake job , a set back already , I found the rear brake lever bent up under the atv , I seen them bent before but never this bad , needs some floorboards ---------- managed to get the lever off with great difficulty , and think 90% I have a couple of levers in the shed , but the 10% is kicking in and I can't find them yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6045.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	122897   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6046.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	122905  
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:04 PM
jdp

Quote:
JDP , All 300 Fourtax rear ends have the same ratio 2wd or 4wd ------ saving money is a hard thing to do !
Was unaware of that I heard from folks that told me wrong. My apologies. I'm still saving up for it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1993 Honda 300

Seafoam "In every tank"

post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM
jdp

Quote:
went to get a jump on a brake job , a set back already , I found the rear brake lever bent up under the atv , I seen them bent before but never this bad , needs some floorboards ---------- managed to get the lever off with great difficulty , and think 90% I have a couple of levers in the shed , but the 10% is kicking in and I can't find them yet
I got Moose utlities on mine. I like their floorboards. As for the brake lever ebay should have one cheap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1993 Honda 300

Seafoam "In every tank"

post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
JDP , I done a quit search for Moose floorboards , found Moose SportQuad nerf bars and skid plates but never did find 300 floor boards , wonder if they discontinued them , do you remember how much they cost ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode