Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ojibwe Gichigami
Liked: 2776 times
It finally stopped snowing early this morning, so this afternoon I spent some time looking the Rancher over out under a bright sun for the first time. It is still pretty grungy looking on the tops of the plastic surfaces I noticed right away. I'm sure everything will wash clean and bright with some hot soapy water and a scrub brush though. One piece at a time...
I noticed in one of those roadside pics that I took the day I bought this, that a front rack bracket was bent where the left side top of the fender mounts through a rubber grommet. So first thing today I checked that out and noticed the front bumper and rack are bent (you'll see what I mean in the pics I'll soon post) in a little. Luckily the plastic fender wasn't found cracked or damaged around that grommet. The bumper and rack are made of light tubing so they should be easy to straighten back where they belong. No kinks or dents in either one, so no worries. I hadn't noticed any of that while I was checking the bike over in the man's garage.
I also noticed that several black plastic push pins are missing that hold plastics together in a few areas. I'll buy a package of 100 to replace them and keep the rest for spares.
One bolt (of two) is missing that holds the right foot peg down. One black plastic wheel cap is missing as well.
In the trunk I found the Owners Manual inside its compartment along with a new NGK spark plug. But the toolkit and the gear shift wrench are missing. Those were added to the parts list to be replaced as well.
It looks like a mouse began to build a nest inside the airbox, but must have abandoned it right away. The air filter inside was still clean and oiled, so maybe the little critter found a more pleasant living room in someone else' vehicle nearby. No harm done there... and no wiring or hoses were found chewed on the bike. Everything else on the bike checks out fine so far.
Next up, I opened the drain on the float bowl and let that empty out. It was still liquid, but a green and smelly liquid... So I unhooked the hose coming from the tank and slipped a short length of hose over the inlet nipple and stuck a small funnel in it. I poured some of my premium 32:1 chain saw premix into the funnel to fill the bowl, then opened the drain again to flush it out a bit. I closed it back up and filled the float bowl with premix again. I put a battery in it, then yanked the air filter and squirted a bit of premix into the carb... turned the key on and tested the shift buttons... R-N-1-N... Sweet!!!
So I pulled the choke and pushed the button and it fired right up! I let it idle for about 20 seconds (the hour meter rolled over to 500.0 hours as it was idling) then shut it down. It sounded pretty darn good to me, so now I can continue the rehab without worry or wonder about a gazillion "what ifs". :-)
The reason I was not 100% confident with the motor until now, is because the hose on my old-school made-in-the-USA compression tester cracked open while I was trying to screw it into the 12mm adapter (already threaded into the head) in the man's garage. The angle I had to bend it around as I twisted on the hose was severe and in the cold air temp the hose cracked open. I had tried to hold the crack shut with one hand while the other hand pressed the starter button, but I couldn't make the hose airtight. The building pressure would blow off through the cracked hose. 55 lbs is as high as I saw the gauge go on a hit, so I used other simple clues (no evidence of oil or soot in the exhaust, it wiped clean and dry. The spark plug came out tan color too, no soot, carbon or shiny oil deposits on it) to form my opinion. The Odometer read 4,723 miles. The hourmeter read 499.9 total hours. I also had the man's word that it was all good. Now I am 100% confident that his word is good too! :-)
Creamsicle is a gift me thinks!!! :-)
Due up next: Pre-teardown PIC PORN. I am about 20% into the teardown right now, so this is the only pic dump you'll see of the "Before" condition of Creamsicle. I added a shot of the color code (YR-222R) sticker too. Honda calls it "Zest Orange" in parts fiche listings.
Last edited by retro; 02-21-2018 at 11:32 PM.