A Creamsicle Orange - Page 26 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

564Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Liked: 15 times
Retro: Earlier in this thread you "drilled" the ball joints, filled them with grease and sealed them with the 3M product. I assumed you drilled the "cover" of the ball joint. How did you prevent any drillings from getting in the joint? If I may ask what size hole did you drill. Want to do some preventative maintenance on my Rancher, this sounds like a good idea, as there is no conventional way to grease these joints.

Thank You
Shrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:48 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6780 times
Garage
Shrade , my wife's 300 ball joints were squeaking last weekend , Monday , I put a hypodermic needle attachment on my grease gun with marine grease , stuck it right thru the rubber boot and greased them and the tie rod ends up , after about 10 up and down rocks on the front end the noise was gone and it steers easier
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.
post #253 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4279 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Shrade , my wife's 300 ball joints were squeaking last weekend , Monday , I put a hypodermic needle attachment on my grease gun with marine grease , stuck it right thru the rubber boot and greased them and the tie rod ends up , after about 10 up and down rocks on the front end the noise was gone and it steers easier
it would be sweet if honda got smart enough ( they won't..because they want us to buy new parts ) if they put grease fittings on all the tie rod ends, ball joints, and everywhere else that could stand to use them !. ( rear brake pedal comes to mind )..lol.
fishfiles, Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6780 times
Garage
Swing arm bearings would be another good spot for a grease fittings
shadetree, Jeepwm69 and _Wilson_ like this.
post #255 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Liked: 1804 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Exactly how i did mine ^^^^ it made all the defrence in the steering!
fishfiles and Goober like this.

1986 fourtrax trx350, 97 300 fwd.
Fully customizing a 1999 fourtrax 300 fwd.
<<<< Garages.
Oct 15th, Dale Earnhardt jr. Day

Wilson™ aka Termite
post #256 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrade View Post
Retro: Earlier in this thread you "drilled" the ball joints, filled them with grease and sealed them with the 3M product. I assumed you drilled the "cover" of the ball joint. How did you prevent any drillings from getting in the joint? If I may ask what size hole did you drill. Want to do some preventative maintenance on my Rancher, this sounds like a good idea, as there is no conventional way to grease these joints.

Thank You
Shrade
Hi Shrade,

I drilled the tops of the new ball joints and tie rod ends using a sharp 1/16" drill bit which is ideal size for my greaser. Pile up a small mound of clean grease in the center of each joint (and drill through the grease) to catch and hold onto the drilling chips as they are cut from the thin tops. If you use a drill press you'll have the best results. Let the tool do all the work... don't force it through the steel and you'll catch every bit in the grease traps and your holes will be burr-free. Check the size of the hole in the tapered nose of your greaser before drilling and choose a slightly smaller drill bit for best results. Have fun with it!
Goober and _Wilson_ like this.

post #257 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Thanks guys for all the great tips. Have a great weekend!
_Wilson_ and retro like this.
post #258 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 AM

Liked: 3249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
Hi Shrade,

I drilled the tops of the new ball joints and tie rod ends using a sharp 1/16" drill bit which is ideal size for my greaser. Pile up a small mound of clean grease in the center of each joint (and drill through the grease) to catch and hold onto the drilling chips as they are cut from the thin tops. If you use a drill press you'll have the best results. Let the tool do all the work... don't force it through the steel and you'll catch every bit in the grease traps and your holes will be burr-free. Check the size of the hole in the tapered nose of your greaser before drilling and choose a slightly smaller drill bit for best results. Have fun with it!
You were going to post some pics, right?
Goober and retro like this.
post #259 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 3154 times
erm... umm, err well... pics huh..? Yeah ok, great idea! These were posted way back when in the $20 350D thread. For a brief how-to click and go there, or just lookie here for those two pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun!
Goober, _Wilson_ and shrade like this.

post #260 of 383 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM

retro: Thanks for the pics, that is how I figured you did it.
retro likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode