1986 Honda TRX350 Restoration Build *Need some help* - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 18 times
1986 Honda TRX350 Restoration Build *Need some help*

**This was posted in the fourtrax section but realized it should be here instead**

So it's finally time to put some work into this 'ol girl, I've had it a few years and it's always served me well but it's sat for a few months and it really needs some love now as it has quite a few issues and I wanna get ahead of them. So here are some questions I have that I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

Dies when put in gear (reverse or 1st): It's done this off and on but today it did it almost non-stop, once it was warmed up it seemed like every time I started it and put it in gear it would die....I know the centrifugal clutch and all that is working as I can roll it backwards in 1st and it almost seems more fuel related as the last time I started it I ran it with the choke on and it moved around just fine.
Dies when cruising at speed: This is a new one for me it's never done this but every time I got going in say 4th or 5th it would just shut off and stop running, it always starts back up but again will die when put in gear. So I ordered a Fan Control Unit on ebay - it's used but was $50 so I'll see if that helps (part#: 38710-HA7-671)
Lithium Battery: Thinking about putting a shorai in it as I ran them in my dirtbikes and they were amazing but expensive so I wanted to see if anyone's used them in a TRX.
Suspension overhaul: We all know the suspension sucks on these things and I am to measure out down/up travel when I have it all apart and plan on finding a shock with similar dimensions and fabbing up something to make them fit.
Cam Chain: I hear a distinct slapping or clacking noise at idle and I think it's time to replace the cam chain so what else do you guys recommend I do while I'm in there?

List of Parts I'm ordering:
New OEM Honda Grips
EBC Organic Brake Pads (front)
Carb Gasket Kit
Fan Control Unit (38710-HA7-671)

Plans:
Fix issue where it dies when put in gear
Rebuild carb with new jets and gaskets
New front brake pads and bleed front brakes
Change front and rear diff oil
Change motor oil
New spark plug
New Cam Chain
Repaint wheels
Repaint racks
Lube throttle cable

It's been sitting at a buddies house so I went and picked it up to bring back home:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm looking for a new fuel tank on/off piece as well if anyone has one:

_Wilson_ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Liked: 1 times
Nice. looks to be in good shape. Plastic parts are better than mine. I also like the idea of that rear spotlight. Does it have a dedicated switch or is it somehow hooked up to the reverse switch? As for the quad dying on you is there any particular reason you think it may be the fan control unit? There is also a fuel cutout relay. I'm a new member here and haven't poked around too much yet but there seems to be a number of threads on that issue. If you think it's fuel/carb related the first thing I would try is a good dose of Seafoam spray directly into the carb throat and also run a good strong mix in the tank as well. Could well save you a carb job.
Regarding the timing chain slapping I have the same issue and just started a thread on that in the repair section that you might want to check in on the odd time to see the responses I hopefully get. I'm really hoping it's just a tension issue and not a stretched chain.

Good luck with it all.

Smitty

1986 TRX 350 Fourtrax
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
cam chain : D.I.D. all the way !. right side cover gasket is needed. while you have the side cover off, pull the pick up screen filter from the very bottom, why Honda made it so you have to ruin the gasket in order to pull the filter is beyond me ?!. dies when put in gear : your c.d.i. is bad !. shocks: forget it !..lol. no shocks mount up ( at least not oem bolt holes anyway ?..you must drill the new shock mounting bolts out in order to get new after market shocks to bolt up. lith battery: well..if it were me ? ( and its not ! ), just buy a battery from Honda, cost less, and subject to last just as long as any battery !...if ya keep it on a battery charger when not using it ??!!!.
Goober likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty55 View Post
Nice. looks to be in good shape. Plastic parts are better than mine. I also like the idea of that rear spotlight. Does it have a dedicated switch or is it somehow hooked up to the reverse switch? As for the quad dying on you is there any particular reason you think it may be the fan control unit? There is also a fuel cutout relay. I'm a new member here and haven't poked around too much yet but there seems to be a number of threads on that issue. If you think it's fuel/carb related the first thing I would try is a good dose of Seafoam spray directly into the carb throat and also run a good strong mix in the tank as well. Could well save you a carb job.
Regarding the timing chain slapping I have the same issue and just started a thread on that in the repair section that you might want to check in on the odd time to see the responses I hopefully get. I'm really hoping it's just a tension issue and not a stretched chain.

Good luck with it all.
Thanks man I'll check that out and I saw a bunch of threads on here where people were having the exact same issue I was (dying while driving and then dying when put in gear) and they all said it's the fan control unit so I figured I'd try that before buying a CDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
cam chain : D.I.D. all the way !. right side cover gasket is needed. while you have the side cover off, pull the pick up screen filter from the very bottom, why Honda made it so you have to ruin the gasket in order to pull the filter is beyond me ?!. dies when put in gear : your c.d.i. is bad !. shocks: forget it !..lol. no shocks mount up ( at least not oem bolt holes anyway ?..you must drill the new shock mounting bolts out in order to get new after market shocks to bolt up. lith battery: well..if it were me ? ( and its not ! ), just buy a battery from Honda, cost less, and subject to last just as long as any battery !...if ya keep it on a battery charger when not using it ??!!!.
Thanks for the info man you're pretty much the guru here! Is the cam chain job pretty hard? I've replaced one on an old 200x but not a 350. And I read the CDI could be the cause but if you see above I saw a lot of people saying it was for sure the fan control unit, since it was only $50 I went for that and will replace my CDI with an OEM one with the fan control unit doesn't fix it.

I'm also considering buying one of these cheap fuel pumps as a spare to keep in the quad, I ride in very remote areas far away from cell service and it's always in the back of my mind that my OEM pump could fail...If it failed I would use this to get home and replace with OEM I'd never ride for a long time with this but has anyone used one? https://www.amazon.com/Fourtrax-Repl...5C39K3JYYMQXZK

Last edited by inv3ctiv3; 08-23-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
Quote:

Good luck with it all.
Thanks man I'll check that out and I saw a bunch of threads on here where people were having the exact same issue I was (dying while driving and then dying when put in gear) and they all said it's the fan control unit so I figured I'd try that before buying a CDI.

Quote:
Thanks for the info man you're pretty much the guru here! Is the cam chain job pretty hard? I've replaced one on an old 200x but not a 350. And I read the CDI could be the cause but if you see above I saw a lot of people saying it was for sure the fan control unit, since it was only $50 I went for that and will replace my CDI with an OEM one with the fan control unit doesn't fix it.

I'm also considering buying one of these cheap fuel pumps as a spare to keep in the quad, I ride in very remote areas far away from cell service and it's always in the back of my mind that my OEM pump could fail...If it failed I would use this to get home and replace with OEM I'd never ride for a long time with this but has anyone used one? https://www.amazon.com/Fourtrax-Repl...5C39K3JYYMQXZK
seeing how I've restored about 10 of the trx350's ( old school ), yeah..you could say I know a little about them !..lol. the cam chain is easy, what is hard ?, is having to remove all those parts just to replace it !..lol. the service manual will tell you their way ?, but honestly ?, i'd do it my way !..lol. remove the rocker box, remove the cam, you will need to rotate the cam from the left side on the crank 180 after you get one bolt out. 17mm deep socket, ratchet, easy. once the cam is out, remove the cam chain tensioner, right rear side of cylinder, drain oil, or, tilt atv on it's left side, so all the oil will be on the left side when you pull the right side cover. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING THE COVER OFF !, YOU DO NOT WANT TO PULL THE KIC STARTER OUT !!. disconnect the reverse lever cable, remove the bolt out of the reverse lever, pry the lever off, when tapping the cover off, there is tabs around the cover, hit there with a mallet and piece of board. anything harder will break the tabs !. MAKE SURE ALL BOLTS ARE REMOVED BEFORE YOU GO HITTING THE COVER !!. while tapping the cover off, once after a few rounds, tap the kick starter back in, keeping it there, so it won't come out when you get the cover moving off. most have rust on the shaft ?, clean it with steel wool, fine sand paper, anything that won't mar the surface ?!, the reason your doing this : so you won't damage the oil seal !. after the cover is off, you will need a clutch puller tool to pop the centrifugal clutch, if I remember right ?, the threads for that are 22mmx1.5 rh . if in doubt ?, just look on ebay for the tool. I went to a place that sells bolts,washers, nuts, and bought a bolt long enough to reach in, and pop the clutch off. remove the oil splash guard , oil pump, DON'T LOOSE THE DOWEL PINS TO THE OIL PUMP !. and pay attention to the o-ring that goes on the oil pump dowel pin. I don't remember if the head has to come off or not in order to get the cam chain down from above ?, if not ?, drop the chain down from the top, have a piece of wire or string tied to it, so you can tie it off at the top some where. get the chain on the crank gear, put it all back together. check, double check, triple check your flywheel for the correct timing mark on top dead center on the compression stroke, if all is good ?, put it all together, set your valves, and fire her up. sounds easy huh ?..lol. you should have a service manual to guide you, I may have left out a few things ?!..lol.
inv3ctiv3 likes this.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
Quote:

Good luck with it all.

Quote:

seeing how I've restored about 10 of the trx350's ( old school ), yeah..you could say I know a little about them !..lol. the cam chain is easy, what is hard ?, is having to remove all those parts just to replace it !..lol. the service manual will tell you their way ?, but honestly ?, i'd do it my way !..lol. remove the rocker box, remove the cam, you will need to rotate the cam from the left side on the crank 180 after you get one bolt out. 17mm deep socket, ratchet, easy. once the cam is out, remove the cam chain tensioner, right rear side of cylinder, drain oil, or, tilt atv on it's left side, so all the oil will be on the left side when you pull the right side cover. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING THE COVER OFF !, YOU DO NOT WANT TO PULL THE KIC STARTER OUT !!. disconnect the reverse lever cable, remove the bolt out of the reverse lever, pry the lever off, when tapping the cover off, there is tabs around the cover, hit there with a mallet and piece of board. anything harder will break the tabs !. MAKE SURE ALL BOLTS ARE REMOVED BEFORE YOU GO HITTING THE COVER !!. while tapping the cover off, once after a few rounds, tap the kick starter back in, keeping it there, so it won't come out when you get the cover moving off. most have rust on the shaft ?, clean it with steel wool, fine sand paper, anything that won't mar the surface ?!, the reason your doing this : so you won't damage the oil seal !. after the cover is off, you will need a clutch puller tool to pop the centrifugal clutch, if I remember right ?, the threads for that are 22mmx1.5 rh . if in doubt ?, just look on ebay for the tool. I went to a place that sells bolts,washers, nuts, and bought a bolt long enough to reach in, and pop the clutch off. remove the oil splash guard , oil pump, DON'T LOOSE THE DOWEL PINS TO THE OIL PUMP !. and pay attention to the o-ring that goes on the oil pump dowel pin. I don't remember if the head has to come off or not in order to get the cam chain down from above ?, if not ?, drop the chain down from the top, have a piece of wire or string tied to it, so you can tie it off at the top some where. get the chain on the crank gear, put it all back together. check, double check, triple check your flywheel for the correct timing mark on top dead center on the compression stroke, if all is good ?, put it all together, set your valves, and fire her up. sounds easy huh ?..lol. you should have a service manual to guide you, I may have left out a few things ?!..lol.
Yea I've got the original service manual so no worries there and what you described sounds very similar to how I did it before, I'm gonna do all the maintenance stuff this weekend (just picked up all the fluids for the diffs, engine, oil filter, spark plug, air filter, carb gaskets and plan on regreasing the CV's). After that I'm gonna address the front brakes, they barely work so I'm gonna pull the drums off and change the pads then bleed them cause I'm sure they have air in the lines. I may just order a new CDI just to be safe, not bad at like $120 where the NOS Fuel Control Unit I found was $220....

PS I remember tilting the bikes to work on them, one reason I miss my old 350x:

Click the image to open in full size.350x engine work by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
don't buy any china after market c.d.i's !!!..buy oem, or none !..lol. oh, forgot, same goes for those china fuel pumps..not even worth 20 bucks !..lol. oem, or push it back !..lol.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
and those atc350x's were some mean rides !..lol. but the worst I ever was on ?, 1982 ( I think it was ? ) atc250R..LOL, omg, when the power band kicked in ?, holy crap !!..lol.
inv3ctiv3 likes this.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
don't buy any china after market c.d.i's !!!..buy oem, or none !..lol. oh, forgot, same goes for those china fuel pumps..not even worth 20 bucks !..lol. oem, or push it back !..lol.
I don't ever buy china parts unless I have to, I guess it was too good to be true even for a trail fix! Problem is around here all the trails are 60" wide or under so if I broke down I'd be 20 miles from my truck with extremely rough terrain between me and the truck so pushing is not an option haha. I'm definitely buying an OEM CDI I think I'm just gonna order it now and get it over with cause OEM honda is $110 on partzilla (30410-HA7-672 MODULE, IGN CONT $110.64) but maybe I'll buy an OEM fuel pump as well and keep it on the bike just in case. And yea I loved ATC's I grew up on them the TRX350 was the only quad I had growing up everything else was ATC's but that 350x I had was pristine OEM not beat at all and I sold it for like $1,500 a few years ago Now they're worth double that easy in that condition:

Click the image to open in full size.Honda ATC350x by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr
shadetree likes this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Ok I ordered a new CDI as well - along with OEM honda jets, I bought both a #45 and #35 pilot jet does anyone know which one it is because some parts sites have it listed as #35 and others list it as #45.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode