1986 Honda TRX350 Restoration Build *Need some help* - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Liked: 1 times
Mine is strictly a rider. It's much happier in the mud, snow, water, and my personal favorite ice.

I saved it from the hands of a trailer queen lover. He power washed it every day. Rode it once a week (on asphalt). And stored it in a climate controlled garage.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 18 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TRX350FOURTRAX View Post
I'd leave it at what you're doing. If you do a full resto, you risk breaking something... Not like I know about breaking something when I took my 85 250 apart.
Anyway, I think that when your done with what you are doing to it now, you won't have to worry about it as much. If you do a full resto, you have to watch out for boulders, and sticks, and stuff like that. I'm sure you will do a great job with it either way.
Make sure you check the front diff fluid. Mine has never been filled. I broke 3 front driveshafts in half. Learned my lesson real quick.

Yea I agree it's not worth doing a frame off restoration right now and I also just don't have the time for that. I did buy a new seat on eBay yesterday and am gonna sell my old one, all the parts came in except the new CDI and the new jets (which I really wish got here today) so I'm gonna test if it was the fan control unit by changing just that and see if it fixes it, if not I'm returning it.

I took all the racks and bumpers off yesterday and pressure washed them in prep for primer today and paint tomorrow, I also removed all the plastics and it's so dirty around the frame I wanna pressure wash it but am worried about sensitive electronics and all that, I may put the battery stuff in a trash bag and lightly at a low pressure, pressure wash the bike to just get some of the crud off what do you guys think?

Click the image to open in full size.

See this is what I wanna wash off:

Last edited by inv3ctiv3; 08-28-2017 at 10:22 AM.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1285 times
Looks great!
Honestly pressure washing won't get all the grime off only takes off the loose stuff. I only pressure wash the mud layer. Watch those decals they flake off!
I used a bucket of hot water, generous amount of good quality car wash soap, some odd brushes and old bar wipes. Hand washing will get the swamp film off your ride better than anything

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1285 times
Also I think if you want a spare fuel pump you should buy OEM--install the new one--and use the old as a spare. That's what I did.

I haven't yet done the same with the other vital components like fuel cut relay and CDI

I recommend you stick with Oem so there's no compromise on performance and reliability

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Looks great!
Honestly pressure washing won't get all the grime off only takes off the loose stuff. I only pressure wash the mud layer. Watch those decals they flake off!
I used a bucket of hot water, generous amount of good quality car wash soap, some odd brushes and old bar wipes. Hand washing will get the swamp film off your ride better than anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Also I think if you want a spare fuel pump you should buy OEM--install the new one--and use the old as a spare. That's what I did.

I haven't yet done the same with the other vital components like fuel cut relay and CDI

I recommend you stick with Oem so there's no compromise on performance and reliability
I try and only buy OEM when possible so there's no concern there, I bought an OEM fan control unit and CDI which will be here Monday and all OEM gaskets and jets.

I actually ended up pressure washing it gently because I'm in CA it's all just built up dust not swampy mud stuff and it came off great:

Last edited by inv3ctiv3; 08-27-2017 at 12:05 PM.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Changed the diff fluids and engine oil yesterday along with figured out it was the battery causing it to intermittently die in gear.....I took it out and left it on a charger for a couple of days and I noticed after the initial start the neutral light was really dim and it wouldn't start unless I jump started it plus with the jump starter on it ran and shifted perfectly no dying....I guess I'll be returning the CDI I bought and probably have to keep the fan control unit I bought cause it was on eBay.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:56 AM

I know on mine the stator got some metal chunks in it and made it shut off randomly. Also the ground on the starter got loose, which caused my battery to short out. I also figured out that it doesn't like to run with a low battery, It screws up the fuel pump. because every time you give it more throttle, the generator gives the pump more voltage. So it's pulsing as you are riding. Make sure you keep your battery charged.
And the front diff fluid. Why did you put it in? I've been running mine without fluid in the front diff ever since I bought it. It makes it a solid front axle. Last time I took it to a shop they filled the front diff. The first day I rode it, I got stuck so bad, I had to pull it out with my winch. After that I never put fluid in the front diff again. I just put a couple droplets in it to keep it from getting over heated.

post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Just rode with my dad this weekend. We were in the river and he submerged his 01 yamaha big bear. It was above the handlebars. I had to pull him out. With the solid front axle it just chewed the river up. Pulled him right out and up the steep bank. Then towed him 4 miles back to the property. Imo leave the fluid out. As long as you don't pull any wheelies like me, you won't snap the driveshaft.

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know on mine the stator got some metal chunks in it and made it shut off randomly. Also the ground on the starter got loose, which caused my battery to short out. I also figured out that it doesn't like to run with a low battery, It screws up the fuel pump. because every time you give it more throttle, the generator gives the pump more voltage. So it's pulsing as you are riding. Make sure you keep your battery charged.
And the front diff fluid. Why did you put it in? I've been running mine without fluid in the front diff ever since I bought it. It makes it a solid front axle. Last time I took it to a shop they filled the front diff. The first day I rode it, I got stuck so bad, I had to pull it out with my winch. After that I never put fluid in the front diff again. I just put a couple droplets in it to keep it from getting over heated.

Quote:
Just rode with my dad this weekend. We were in the river and he submerged his 01 yamaha big bear. It was above the handlebars. I had to pull him out. With the solid front axle it just chewed the river up. Pulled him right out and up the steep bank. Then towed him 4 miles back to the property. Imo leave the fluid out. As long as you don't pull any wheelies like me, you won't snap the driveshaft.

I used Honda 80w gear oil, I wouldn't run no fluid that's just gonna damage the whole front diff and I don't want that, I don't mud my 350 as I live in CA and water is basically non-existent lol.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I put a new battery and viola it runs perfectly....gonna return the CDI and some other parts I bought. I'll post pics with it all washed up and painted racks/bumpers.
cmanningjr and _Wilson_ like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode