New toy great craigslist find - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
New toy great craigslist find

Picked up this 87 honda 250x to go along with my 400ex, 90 fourtrax..
But before i do anything im going to replace gas and oil. What else should i replace?
.looking for some insight on what could be the issue..
the po said it has a intermittent spark.. hes replace the carb, coil and just gave up on it..
i was told on fb groups that i should try replacing the CDI..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4543_1495343084052.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	76281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4544_1495343097290.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	76289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
not much for sport atvs ?, but I can tell you, either the stator, reg/rec or the c.d.i. will be your problem :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
could also be a bad '' kill '' switch ?. worth checking !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 2768 times
The FSM will help you pinpoint the failure pretty quickly...

If it troubleshoots down to the CDI, try tapping on it while cranking it. All of the old Honda CDIs eventually fail due to cold/cracked/ solder joints on the PCB and yours may have failed by now given the age. The CDI problem was created by the supplier, (Shindengen?) as they used very poor quality solder in the manufacturing process. If you can do the necessary reflow work you can fix them yourself, otherwise ya gotta replace them when they die.
SlammedRanger likes this.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post

If it troubleshoots down to the CDI, try tapping on it while cranking it. All of the old Honda CDIs eventually fail due to cold/cracked/ solder joints on the PCB and yours may have failed by now given the age. The CDI problem was created by the supplier, (Shindengen?) as they used very poor quality solder in the manufacturing process. If you can do the necessary reflow work you can fix them yourself, otherwise ya gotta replace them when they die.
Cool handfull of ppl said the CDI could be the issue.. so which cdi should i get? Which other honda CDI can be used?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian400ex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post

Cool handfull of ppl said the CDI could be the issue.. so which cdi should i get? Which other honda CDI can be used?
please only buy the c.d.i. from Honda !, not some damn china after market c.d.i. just because it's lower in price on ebay ?, it wont be worth it in the long run !!!.
SlammedRanger likes this.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1210 times
Garage
Thats a pretty clean little 250x you picked up there. Minus some plastic but over all looks pretty solid. One other thing you gotta watch out for on these older quads is the metal tanks like to rust. If there is any rust in the tank it will just clog up the carb over and over until you clean it or coat it in plastic. Which is pretty expensive but worth it in the end. I to would say cdi would be my first place to be looking. After i cleaned and di-electric greased all the electrical connections. And cleaned the paint/rust out from under all the grounds. Good luck and keep us posted!
retro likes this.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list

Last edited by SlammedRanger; 05-21-2017 at 07:44 AM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1957 times
Ricks electrics are a reputable brand for aftermarket CDI's, they offer standard spec replacements and the Hot Shot series. Good reviews and a great company to deal with.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Ricks electrics are a reputable brand for aftermarket CDI's, they offer standard spec replacements and the Hot Shot series. Good reviews and a great company to deal with.
I've seen more bad c.d.i's from them than good ?. i'd put my money on oem unless there wasn't a choice ?, as in, NLA ?!. oem is best in my book.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
I've seen more bad c.d.i's from them than good ?. i'd put my money on oem unless there wasn't a choice ?, as in, NLA ?!. oem is best in my book.
Oh okay, I stand corrected then lol. The main reason I mention them is their communication with the customer is first class, they had a lot of time for me when I was in talks with them. They do offer a no hassle returns policy as well I beleive.
A BIG issue they were having was Chinese CDI's being sold on eBay as 'Ricks' CDI's, I nearly fell for that exact mistake. When I looked there were 6 so called ricks on eBay, when I emailed Ricks direct they only had 1 cdi for sale on eBay!
So if anybody buys from them I would certainly contact Ricks thought they're website rather than eBay.

Maybe this could be the bad units you've heard about shady? Dodgy Chinese junk sold under Ricks name maybe?
retro likes this.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in