New toy great craigslist find - Page 2 - Honda ATV Forum
Builds, Projects & DIY Discuss all your Honda ATV builds, projects and Do-It-Yourself modifications here!

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian400ex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
The FSM will help you pinpoint the failure pretty quickly...

If it troubleshoots down to the CDI, try tapping on it while cranking it. All of the old Honda CDIs eventually fail due to cold/cracked/ solder joints on the PCB and yours may have failed by now given the age. The CDI problem was created by the supplier, (Shindengen?) as they used very poor quality solder in the manufacturing process. If you can do the necessary reflow work you can fix them yourself, otherwise ya gotta replace them when they die.
Cool handfull of ppl said the CDI could be the issue.. so which cdi should i get? Which other honda CDI can be used?
please only buy the c.d.i. from Honda !, not some damn china after market c.d.i. just because it's lower in price on ebay ?, it wont be worth it in the long run !!!.
Thats actually what i want to do..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedRanger View Post
Thats a pretty clean little 250x you picked up there. Minus some plastic but over all looks pretty solid. One other thing you gotta watch out for on these older quads is the metal tanks like to rust. If there is any rust in the tank it will just clog up the carb over and over until you clean it or coat it in plastic. Which is pretty expensive but worth it in the end. I to would say cdi would be my first place to be looking. After i cleaned and di-electric greased all the electrical connections. And cleaned the paint/rust out from under all the grounds. Good luck and keep us posted!
I got the plastic too.. platics will be the last things to buy.. yea the po told me theres possibly rust in the tank.. how/where can i get the plastic coat inside the tank?
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1211 times
Garage
When i last worked on a 250x we got it from the honda dealer. It was stuff specifically made for lining metal gas tanks. It was called kreem plastic tank liner kit. The hardest part is you gotta clean all the rust off. We half filled the tank with aqarium rock. Taped the fill hole shut and wrapped it in a blanket and taped it up real good. We then got an old dryer and let it tumble for about 2 hours.(Helped that my parents own an appliance repair business) preferably an old maytag dryer if you can find one. After that 2 hours and almost 5 dollars in change rattled out of the dryer we pulled it out and cleaned it all out and then we followed the directions on the plastic coating kit. Worked really well. We flushed the tank with alot of diesel fuel to get all the rock chips and everything out. Didnt even kill the maytag dryer lol
retro likes this.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedRanger View Post
When i last worked on a 250x we got it from the honda dealer. It was stuff specifically made for lining metal gas tanks. It was called kreem plastic tank liner kit. The hardest part is you gotta clean all the rust off. We half filled the tank with aqarium rock. Taped the fill hole shut and wrapped it in a blanket and taped it up real good. We then got an old dryer and let it tumble for about 2 hours.(Helped that my parents own an appliance repair business) preferably an old maytag dryer if you can find one. After that 2 hours and almost 5 dollars in change rattled out of the dryer we pulled it out and cleaned it all out and then we followed the directions on the plastic coating kit. Worked really well. We flushed the tank with alot of diesel fuel to get all the rock chips and everything out. Didnt even kill the maytag dryer lol
Good to know ill call see if they still carry that stuff..
I heard and used apple cider vinger before and it work good with rocks . i had a old 71 honda n600 project that i cleaned the tank with..
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamUK View Post
Ricks electrics are a reputable brand for aftermarket CDI's, they offer standard spec replacements and the Hot Shot series. Good reviews and a great company to deal with.
Is it www.ricksmotorsportselectrics.com
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1957 times
Quote:
Quote:
Ricks electrics are a reputable brand for aftermarket CDI's, they offer standard spec replacements and the Hot Shot series. Good reviews and a great company to deal with.
Yes, that's the one

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's the one
Great thanks.. i just looked and he only has the hot shot honda cdi for now..
Im on fb group for 400ex and theres a guy selling good/used cdi for $20.. are all cdi the same?

Last edited by Brian400ex; 05-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1957 times
Some are the same yes, but for example a 300 fourtrax has 3, 88 to 93, 94 to 97 & 98 to 00. Just make sure you buy the cdi for your year machine.

98 300 Fourtrax 4x4

Custom built mud bike - Now sold.

2004 Foreman 450S

Fully overhauled (nut & bolt rebuild), 2 lift kit, 28 mega mayhems, ITP delta rims, ES floorboards, 22 LED lightbar, Pyle Bluetooth sound system.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Some are the same yes, but for example a 300 fourtrax has 3, 88 to 93, 94 to 97 & 98 to 00. Just make sure you buy the cdi for your year machine.
Gotcha so i guess 88-93 300 fourtrax is what i woud get?..
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Popped off the cap.. look at that rust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4549_1495380201582.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	936.1 KB
ID:	76321  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Builds, Projects & DIY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode