2010 Rancher 420 Rear Brakes - Honda ATV Forum
Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

2010 Rancher 420 Rear Brakes

I just purchased a 2010 Rancher 420 4x4 (foot shift, manual 4x4).

When I went and looked at the quad it was in pretty good shape, but the rear brakes didn't work (parking brake and foot pedal were soft with no braking whatsoever). I knew this was probably an easy fix so I purchased the quad anyways.

I tore apart the rear brakes and everything was pretty normal. No mud or water inside the drum, just lots of brake dust. I assumed it just needed new shoes so I went about my business. Went ahead and replace all the seals, shoes, washers, etc. for what I would call an almost total rebuild. I even replaced the wing nuts, cams, and springs at the rear brake cable. Cleaned out the brake lever cam and greased everything up. Lined up the cam with the punch marks and everything seemed good to go.

Yesterday I finally put the tires back on and wanted check the brakes and make final adjustment before a ride.

I had to adjust the wing nuts at least 3/4 of the way to get any feel in the brake lever and pedal, and it still doesn't stop like I think it should. The only thing I didn't change out was the brake cables and the actual drum. From what I could tell the quad has decently low miles (original tires, appeared to be the first time anyone had opened the drum). The brake arm moves freely and returns nicely (spring is stiff). Both the pedal and lever return nicely.

I didn't check the drum specs when I had it apart (assumed it was within spec).

1) Do you think the drum could be out of spec? The old brake shoes didn't even appear seriously warn but from forums and youtube videos, that might not always be the case. I haven't ever done a brake job on a quad, just cars many times (the shoes on cars can be metal on metal and severely warn before needing replacement).

2) Could it be a cable issue? I dont think so because both cables seem to be affected the same.

Just looking for some advice before I order a new drum and bust it all open again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4279 times
Garage
very well could be a worn brake drum.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but would a drum not last the life of a few pairs of shoes? I mean, it's not like it was dragging or rubbing or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjriddle22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but would a drum not last the life of a few pairs of shoes? I mean, it's not like it was dragging or rubbing or anything.
depends ?. how was the brakes used ?, how hard was the PO owner on them ?. was the atv taken through gritty stuff a lot ?. are you 100% sure you installed the brake cam right ?. it's best to measure the drum, and see how worn it is compared to service limit specs ?. :-).

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
what you can do is ( just a temp fix ) , rotate the brake cam back a couple splines, install, then this will give you less travel on the brake shoes before they engage the brake drum.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM

Liked: 3249 times
Yep, rotate the cam back a couple of teeth. It will give you more adjustment on the wingnuts and engage the pads quicker.

Back brakes on Hondas kinda suck. The good news is, if you have it in 4wd, and lock up the front brakes, it's gonna lock up your rear wheels too since the final shaft that runs front and rear end is the same shaft.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Yep, rotate the cam back a couple of teeth. It will give you more adjustment on the wingnuts and engage the pads quicker.

Back brakes on Hondas kinda suck. The good news is, if you have it in 4wd, and lock up the front brakes, it's gonna lock up your rear wheels too since the final shaft that runs front and rear end is the same shaft.
Is the cam not keyed? I lined up the punch marks, and just assumed it would only go on one way. If I can do that, I definitely think it would help my cause.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM

Liked: 3249 times
Nope. You just pull the lever off, move it back a couple of teeth, and tap it back on.
shadetree and _Wilson_ like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Nope. You just pull the lever off, move it back a couple of teeth, and tap it back on.
agreed ^^^^, very simple. couple teeth, tap back on, bolt it down, good to go.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjriddle22 View Post
Quote:

Is the cam not keyed? I lined up the punch marks, and just assumed it would only go on one way. If I can do that, I definitely think it would help my cause.
couple teeth, no more, or you won't be able to get the wing nuts back on the cable. MAKE SURE TO PULL THE CABLES BACK BY HAND TO REMOVE THE SLACK OUT, THEN EYE-BALL THE DISTANCE ON HOW FAR YOU CAN MOVE THE LEVER BACK. you can use the punch marks as a reference point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode