350d rear end to 300 swap question - Honda ATV Forum
Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 7 times
350d rear end to 300 swap question

I'm picking up a 350d rear end for my 300 build, though I'll probably wait until early next year to drop it in since I won't be riding much then and it will give me time to fully go through it and replace bearings and seals, etc

I get the necessary fabrication work needed to install it into a 300 Fourtrax, but one thing I've never seen addressed is which hubs are used. Do you use the 350 hubs or can the 300 hubs be used?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:54 AM

Liked: 59 times
Garage
350 Hubs. 300 hubs won't fit.
MikeDawg46L likes this.

2003 Honda Rancher 350 4x4fm

1987 Honda TRX350 - 1500lb Master-Lock winch, 24 inch Bear Claws all around.-SOLD, not the memories just the machine.

1985 Honda TRX250 - Bone stock

If its stupid and it works it ain't stupid.
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6529 times
Garage
you have to use the 350D hubs , totally different , the 350D has a sealing ring made onto them that the 300 doesn't , also the spline size is bigger on the 300 ----- depending on the year of your 300 , you may have to get a foot brake cable about and inch longer , that has happened to me once , don't remember the exact combination of model year and rear end , also you may or may not have to use wheel spacers to clear the muffler , that depends on your rim offset and width of tires you use , the only other thing I can think of is the shock mount has to be welded in the middle , unless you can come up with some dual shocks mod , which might be nice
Manny, _Wilson_ and MikeDawg46L like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both. That is what I assumed but wanted to be sure.

I have a line on a rear diff, axle, and axle tubes but no hubs. Guess I need to keep scrounging but seeing as I'm in no rush, I can use patience and find the right parts.

Thanks again guys. You've been very helpful.

_Wilson_ likes this.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:44 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6529 times
Garage
two 250/350 hubs in good condition are going to cost you and getting harder to find , the right and left are different making it harder , if I were you , I would still try and score the rest of the axle cheap , well worth offering a $100 , the differential is a good score if it is in usable shape , you might find a rear end with a blown diff and the rest of it still there in good shape , take two to make one --------
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
two 250/350 hubs in good condition are going to cost you and getting harder to find , the right and left are different making it harder , if I were you , I would still try and score the rest of the axle cheap , well worth offering a $100 , the differential is a good score if it is in usable shape , you might find a rear end with a blown diff and the rest of it still there in good shape , take two to make one --------

Wow, didn't realize the left/right hubs were different.

For the full package I have lined up, which would be full rear end, axle, and buying some used hubs, if be in it for a bit over $300. Seems steep but I don't know for sure.

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Liked: 436 times
That's about the going rate on ebay for a GOOD set.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
That's about the going rate on ebay for a GOOD set.

Ok good to know. Do you have anything to offer for this swap at the moment?

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 AM

Liked: 436 times
The 350 rear end swap is the way to go. I did it with mine.

If/when you find hubs just be sure the splines on the insides are good and square. all too often you will find ebay sellers will not disclose that information and your left with a useless hub. In our case with the swapped rear ends we need new old stock or good used condition hubs because they are getting so hard to find.

The 350 rear end is better built in every way over the 300. you wont miss the old one. Be sure when you do the swap you properly set your shock location or you will either gain or lose seat height.

also, not much is mentioned about brake cable setup. you will find you will have to modify your brake cable perch to get functional brakes. not a big deal, but to get your rear brakes to work, its not a simple plug and play, it will take a little bit of re-engineering.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
The 350 rear end swap is the way to go. I did it with mine.

If/when you find hubs just be sure the splines on the insides are good and square. all too often you will find ebay sellers will not disclose that information and your left with a useless hub. In our case with the swapped rear ends we need new old stock or good used condition hubs because they are getting so hard to find.

The 350 rear end is better built in every way over the 300. you wont miss the old one. Be sure when you do the swap you properly set your shock location or you will either gain or lose seat height.

also, not much is mentioned about brake cable setup. you will find you will have to modify your brake cable perch to get functional brakes. not a big deal, but to get your rear brakes to work, its not a simple plug and play, it will take a little bit of re-engineering.

Thanks for the info Manny. I'll probably fab up some hydraulic rear brakes for this so the cables don't concern me much, but sill good to know. Part of the allure of the 350d rear is that the brake off to the side and not a major obstacle dragging in the center of the rear end.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode