elka shock adjustment - Honda ATV Forum
Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

elka shock adjustment

hi guys i have a honda 250r atv i just bought but it has elka shocks on it and i no not know how to ajust them i have a camber problem on one tire and want to make sure my shocks are all adjusted right if anyone could tell me how to adjust them or where i can get instructions on how to do it i would appreceate that these are the best pics i have of them if u need better ones let me know thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	12203   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	12204   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	12205   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	12206  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 33 times
Here is a downloadable manual from elka : Owner?s Manuals | Elka Suspension
Your shocks have a knob on the reservour that adjusts the compression, turning it in increases compression, out less. Your shocks dont have rebound adjustment. They do have a threaded body for adjusting preload for ride height and body roll / softness or hardness. You just loosen up the allen locknuts and turn. As for your camber problem, i dont think your a-arms are adjustable. You may need a new one.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 AM

Liked: 5 times
^^^^^agree.setting the preload doesn't change caster-camber.when compressed the only thing that changes is toe.{that's what couses arm pump}.your shocks should be set up for your ride weight and arms.alot of times people just buy shocks thinking they will work but if they arn.t set up right the stock ones work better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by american opel View Post
^^^^^agree.setting the preload doesn't change caster-camber.when compressed the only thing that changes is toe.{that's what couses arm pump}.your shocks should be set up for your ride weight and arms.alot of times people just buy shocks thinking they will work but if they arn.t set up right the stock ones work better.
WHAT??? How does that cause arm pump? Are pump is forearm fatigue caused from the strain of riding for an extended period of time. Muscle tension restricting the flow of blood in the muscles through your forearm and hands.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

If your shocks have rebound adjustment(doens't look like they do) there is a small flat head screw at the bottom of the shock below the spring and above the mounting point. Rebound adjust how fast the shock returns to it's normal position after being compressed. There are 2 types of compression, high speed and low speed. (need more pics to see what you have) High speed adjustment is for when you take a big hit, land flat off a jump, hit a square edge, blast through a G out, ect.. The Low speed controls the compression from body roll and the subtle bumps and hits that your quad takes. Like landing a jump pefect on the downhill side in the sweet spot, that is low speed.

High and low speed compression have nothing to do with your speed, it is the speed at which the shock shaft travels.

Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 AM

if the shocks arn't set up right or are the wrong lenght when going over bumps the quad will toe in and out,which will take the bars and try to shake them out of your hands!!the only way to keep it straight is to hold on tight and keep compinsating because the toe keeps changing and trying to make the quad steer different ways.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Liked: 14 times
Quote:
Changing preload will most definitely change camber, it will change ride height, which will change what position the spindle is in while it's sitting. Don't believe me? Put your quad on a stand, and take a shock off. Move the wheel through the travel and watch how the camber changes, along with the tow. Caster will not change. Think of a rail buggy and how the wheels are tilted at the top in while in a sitting position. As the wheels move through the travel, they become more upright.

2014 CRA Senior II and Buckeye Series champ
2012 CRA Senior II champ
2011 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series Harescramble Champion
2009 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series champ.
2007 CRA Senior II, and Buckeye series Harescramble Champ.

2007 TRX450R
2005 TRX450R
2004 TRX450R
2003 Lonestar 250R
2001 Lonestar 250R.....now a 310
1986 TRX250R (restored to new)
1986 TRX250R (still in pieces)
1999 CR500
1999 CR250
1996 CR250
1986 ATC250R
1975 MR50
1999 Banshee
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich250rracer View Post
Quote:
Changing preload will most definitely change camber, it will change ride height, which will change what position the spindle is in while it's sitting. Don't believe me? Put your quad on a stand, and take a shock off. Move the wheel through the travel and watch how the camber changes, along with the tow. Caster will not change. Think of a rail buggy and how the wheels are tilted at the top in while in a sitting position. As the wheels move through the travel, they become more upright.
Perfectly said, thanks Rich

Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM

here is my son's and my R set at 1 1/2 ride height from the frame to the ground.the other is 12'' frame height.yes camber will change alittle but not very much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda shocks 006.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	12215   Click image for larger version

Name:	honda shocks 007.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	12216   Click image for larger version

Name:	honda shocks 001.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	12217  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 14 times
Quote:
here is my son's and my R set at 1 1/2 ride height from the frame to the ground.the other is 12'' frame height.yes camber will change alittle but not very much!!
The a-arms aren't even full extended in the third pic, let those arms drop completely and look at the camber difference.

2014 CRA Senior II and Buckeye Series champ
2012 CRA Senior II champ
2011 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series Harescramble Champion
2009 CRA Senior II and Buckeye series champ.
2007 CRA Senior II, and Buckeye series Harescramble Champ.

2007 TRX450R
2005 TRX450R
2004 TRX450R
2003 Lonestar 250R
2001 Lonestar 250R.....now a 310
1986 TRX250R (restored to new)
1986 TRX250R (still in pieces)
1999 CR500
1999 CR250
1996 CR250
1986 ATC250R
1975 MR50
1999 Banshee

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode