honda atv 4wd - Page 4 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 258 times
1985 Honda Fourtrax | ATVs | Peterborough | Kijiji

they can be had...

1984 Honda ATC BigRed 200ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Liked: 6 times
Well a nice 300 will easily fetch upwards of 2000, here, some go as high as 3000. The same for the old 350's.
I was at an equipment auction a couple of years ago and one company had 8 old 350's in it. A friend of mine bought the cheapest one for 2200 and considered it a good deal.
I was at an auction at the university a few years back and there was a 350 there, seat was bad, but the rest of the cosmetics were nice. It had not been run in years so the battery was shot too. I watched people keep kicking it over and everyone of them mentioned no compression, they didn't realize the compression was hooked to the kick start and it didn't release until right at the end.

I took a chance and give 800 for it and cleaned the rats nest out of the air box, new battery and she run perfect. The gas cap was also bad, and you can't buy a new one anywhere, so I was watching ebay and every other place I could imagine for a week or so, when a guy listed one that didn't run on craigslist for 200.
I jumped on it and when I got there it had a new looking seat to boot, plastics were trashed, so all in all I got mine cheap for this area.

Macerena man, I have spent quite a bit of time in western Cnada, Ontario,BC and the Yukon, and found the folks great too.
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 54 times
yep...here in the Carolinas...300s are still plentiful.. a quick local craigslist search will turn up 3 or 5 within an hours drive....but are usually plenty ragged out and they still want $2k plus for them.
guy at my repair shop told me the motors alone are pulling up to $600 as those seem to be the best part of those old bikes.
the good news is most of the bikes have been used primarily for hunting machines or next generation riders just ripping up trails...
my 300 was an old deer hunt machine, so while it didn't get a lot of love, it wasn't abused either. still...I was happy to shell out $1500 for it that included new tires, battery, plastic was all intact.
but brakes, cables and bearings still added another $1k on top of that..so basicall ya $2500 machine before I got done too.
looking back, would I love to have a shiney new rancher for under $6k..sure...can I justify $6k?..nope

a "vintage ATV" in good working order for around $2k...that's my threshold of pain.
Jeepwm69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Liked: 2937 times
I know the feeling, BUT at least when you go through one yourself you know what you have.

I don't want a new one, and buying a used one you never know what you're getting unless you go through it, so fixing them up is the way to go.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

was curious so just did a quick search (2 hours drive distance)
$2500 - 1996 300 4x4- new seat etc..clean and ready to ride w/newish tires
$2100 - 1999 300 2x4 - needs battery
$1800 - 1991 300 4x4 - gonna need a seat and front axels they pop sometimes and needs rear axel bearings
$3000 - 1999 300 4x4 - Perfect condition for a 1999 model and meticulously maintained by professional hands. Brand new ITP 25 inch mud lite XTR tires and ITP aluminum 12 inch wheels. This machine runs and operates like it did when it rolled off the factory floor. You will have a hard time finding another one this nice. It is ready to ride with a fresh oil change, front and rear differentials are drained and refilled every 5 rides along with the transfer case. It has a new spark plug, air filter and all four new tie rod ends with a proper alignment after installing a 2 inch lift kit from High Lifter.com. I still have the factory 11 inch steel wheels and old tires that will be included.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
$1800 - 1991 300 4x4 - gonna need a seat and front axels they pop sometimes and needs rear axel bearings
$3000 - 1999 300 4x4 - Perfect condition for a 1999 model and meticulously maintained by professional hands. Brand new ITP 25 inch mud lite XTR tires and ITP aluminum 12 inch wheels. This machine runs and operates like it did when it rolled off the factory floor. You will have a hard time finding another one this nice. It is ready to ride with a fresh oil change, front and rear differentials are drained and refilled every 5 rides along with the transfer case. It has a new spark plug, air filter and all four new tie rod ends with a proper alignment after installing a 2 inch lift kit from High Lifter.com. I still have the factory 11 inch steel wheels and old tires that will be included.
when I am done with this '88 trx300fw, I will start my asking price @ 3k !. sure its 31 years old, age wise ?, but !!, it will be like a new '88 trx300fw when I am done with it !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
when I am done with this '88 trx300fw, I will start my asking price @ 3k !. sure its 31 years old, age wise ?, but !!, it will be like a new '88 trx300fw when I am done with it !..lol.
one of the questions that seem to come up..is around being able to still get OEM parts for the older bikes...I thought I might be going to need rear end/diff repair on my 1993 this time..fortunately that's not the case...but the shop cautioned me that he would have to use Chinese components if he did have to get into it...do you have sources still for OEM parts like this?
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4210 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:
one of the questions that seem to come up..is around being able to still get OEM parts for the older bikes...I thought I might be going to need rear end/diff repair on my 1993 this time..fortunately that's not the case...but the shop cautioned me that he would have to use Chinese components if he did have to get into it...do you have sources still for OEM parts like this?
you did not say which oem parts for the rear diff you need ?. I know you can still buy ring and pinion gear set for a 2000 trx300fw, which is the same gear set for all models from 1988 to 2000. I bought mine from partzilla.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

good to know ! thanks
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM

Liked: 2937 times
A lot of people use a rear end from an ATC Big Red 250 or a 350 Fourtrax/ 350 Foreman (86-89) in a 300. Those rear ends have fully tubed rear ends with bearing support out on the ends of the tubes, so the rear axle is better supported and much more resistant to water getting in the rear end and eating up bearings and eventually gears.

All that is required to swap them in is an adapter plate that welds onto the 250ES/ 350D axle tube to match up with the 300 swingarm mounting flange. The diffs themselves are the same gear ratio and bolt right up to the swingarm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode