Title transfer Review??? - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 267 times
Garage
Question Title transfer Review???

I just received a letter from the States department of taxation. Claiming that they figure I owe an additional $468.16 of sales tax on the last quad I purchased. The title transfer shows $250.00 and they state that average selling price of my quad is $6397.27!!! Hell that's more than I paid for my original 700 off the show room floor, after including all tax title & 3 yrs financing at 2.9% NADA shows current retail on a 2008 Honda Trx700xx between $2500 and $3290 which is right inline with what I see them going for.

Has anyone else been flagged? A friend told me to toss letter in the trash, if it was serious it would of been sent certified mail. Also I contacted seller and he said, he has not herd anything about it or been contacted. At the bottom of letter it says punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or six (6) months imprisonment, or both!

BTW tile was marked $2500 and clerk at title place said $250.00 I laughed to myself and said yeah $250. On all atv's I purchased and transfer'd titles they never ask condition of quads, like they always do on auto's. No when I purchased the state plate, they ask, about lights, exhaust, ect but nothing at ttile place.
kozzy4444 likes this.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

Last edited by M_Quick; 01-08-2016 at 04:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Liked: 2 times
I haven't ever had an ATV that I transferred the title on but it sounds like there trying to rip u off in some way because they only tax you on what you paid for a vehicle not what they say you should have paid for it.

01 honda rubicon the boys bayou 220 bored 20 over cobra exhaust 300ex sold warrior 350 sold and a bunch more sold
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM

Liked: 69 times
Sounds like a scam... give the state a call....

2004 trx450r
Rossier exhaust
Ported head
Early HRC cam
+3 stroke
+2bore
13:1 JE piston
42.5mm FCR
UNI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
Sounds like a scam... give the state a call....
Letter head is from the state and they have seller's name on it, along with title & vin #. Plus the payment if made would be written to the state.

But as I'm posting this. I read on letter"per ohio revised code 2921.13" and that code refers to falsification - in theft offense - to purchase a fire arm? I'm scanning the fine print now.

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton Stealth Bumper and 11/16" sway bar
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, OMF Wheels & GBC tires, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Utility Rack & Desert II Front Bumper.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 PM

Liked: 2060 times
if the title place sent in paperwrk with a price of say 2500, and then said by accident to you 250 and ONBLY took taxes on the 250 price
you could OWE the state the rest due on the 2500 minus the 250 they took taxes from at title place
IF you follow

here in PA they base HOW Much tax on what the sale price was TOLD to the title shop
IF it fall WAY under the BOOK value on the vehicle, the STATE can start an investigation into the matter
Loop hole in things MY side, is IF you can tell title shop you did a partial trade/cash for an item LOL
the trade value isn't taxable
so, say your buddy wants to sell you 15 k vehicle, and well, you;'s ONLY want to say you paid 5 k for it
the STATE needs to know where the 10 K went or how it was paid
if you trade a material item, you HAD or likes
you can many times NOT have to PROVE what IT was
BUT if you say , like you traded in work or?? that can open another can of worms

lots of loop holes in things if you look for them

BUT the STATE always wants it slice of the pie
and they can get aggressive to get it
If I was you,
I would figure out what the SALES tax SHOULD have been on what ever price you paid and told title shop you paid
if its LESS Than what you PAID at time of transfer
get ready to pay the remainder, and any possible interest as well!

NOW if the title shop reported that you ONLY paid 250
and you can contact the old owner and get them to say you ONLY paid 250
and atv was in PARTS

that can help get the value down to 250, reported price maybe??
and end things???
but your getting into the gray area when white lie's come out LOL
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1269 times
Garage
Had this same thing happen to me on my latest title transfer. It was just for the frame that is on my quad now since the last one got mangled. If you look on the back it will have a thing kinda like you fill out for income tax. It asks about any other services performed and trys to trick you into admitting your amount you put down on the title was a lie. At the end it has you add all the fields and it will come to zero. You then write a small explaination of why it was so cheap and send it back. In my case i said this was for a frame of a fourwheeler and not a whole atv. And i also said if they request i can send them the original bill of sale from the company i purchased it from. They never did of course but they really are just looking for story to be the same between seller and buyer. If all is kosher your fine.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Form does have back side asking about downpayment, trade ins, or other services. But nowhere for explanations or condition of quad. I don't know what to do. I feel if I admit the price was 2500 not 250, they may try and pin me for lying during the title transfer. I guess I should of corrected the clerk, but even then they may have flagged it. Since they have avg value way over the nada price.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1269 times
Garage
Yikes.. yeah they will. At this point you better commit to the lie. And make sure the guy you got it off's story is straight with yours. Or bend over and take it up the tail pipe and call it a hard lesson learned. Sounds like the form i got was different. Leave it to ohio to try to screw you out of your money. My form gave me the chance to admit i lied and pay the nada taxes or fill out the fields and explain myself. I did the second option because i did actually only pay the amount i said.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:33 PM

Liked: 2060 times
I would play dumb here
and say price WAS what you want it to be 2500, or that you paid
and just play it off that you didn;t notice what the title place said to you or did
they want there fair share of the $$$

if they already contacted the old buyer, you can get into bigger trouble IF the stories don;'t match up
and who know's WHO side he will take or already has

if I recall you got a hell of a deal on it
SO worse case here you have to pay the???
and be done
I think you might still have got a deal
But
paperwork to the DOT and such is never a place to try to get a head LOL
there already a royal pain to deal with at time when you NEED something
so, I wouldn't want to start a back and forth deal with them, , can see it taking yrs and them adding interest to it ??
the aggravation might not be worth the trouble to just Suck it up and move on!
Manny likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:12 PM

Liked: 69 times
So glad we don't have to do this crap in Nebraska. I don't even need a title lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Manny and Jeepwm69 like this.

2004 trx450r
Rossier exhaust
Ported head
Early HRC cam
+3 stroke
+2bore
13:1 JE piston
42.5mm FCR
UNI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode