Considering an aditional Honda- Opinion Pls. - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool Considering an aditional Honda- Opinion Pls.

Hi my first time threading,

Up here in Canada i use my 2005 Rincon 650 quite a bit for ice fishing and am not totally pleased on how it performs in cold weather. Starting with no primer is slow as it takes time to get fuel to the carb with the choke only. In either automatic or esp setting it runs into transmission transfer of power issues during the first mile of a trip and needs to be stopped for a few seconds. It doesn't warm up the transmission even when idled for a while before going anywhere. I like the ride allot but with only 3 gears it is a bit sluggish. I am considering a new Rubicon 500 fully auto but don't want to run into the same issues- any thoughts? My other choice is to go back to a Foreman TRX500FPM- manual foot shift with with no hydomechanical tranny- thoughts? I want best all around performance in all weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Talk to Helmut or Sabre6.They know alot about the utility side of atv's.

Billy

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Liked: 10 times
Don't get me wrong i love Honda's i own a TRX 450ER for racing but my utility quad of choice is the Grizzly 700, FI powersteering it starts great in cold weather you put it in Drive and go! if you need low speed powed put it in Low and go if you need all 4 wheels pulling put it in 4 wheel drive if you need more ingage the diff lock i love my GRIZZLY and it will out pull any Honda that is proven i have drug 680's backwards in a tug of war they can't handle the Grizz.

recently sold 07 TRX 450ER 14/1 CP piston/ +1 valves intake & exhaust/ 208 web cam/ High Rev valve springs/ potred & polished/bored carb by DASA/ DASA Classic exhaust / Leagers +2 MX Lt a-arms/ Ohlins Lt front & Fox Podium X DSC Rear shock and LSR DC-6 linkage/LSR duel row carrier/ lsr Axcaliber Pro axle/ Pro Armor skid & rear bumper/ Hiper Bead locks/ Quadcross Pro's/ Houser +1 stem/ Precision stablizer / Pro Taper Fat bars/ ASV levers/ Quadtech hump seat. My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 27 times
I would go back to the Foreman 500 with foot shift. They are more dependable, with less to mess up, especially in the cold temps. I am a Honda man, but I agree with quadracer, the Grizzly is a nice ATV. I like the diff lock that Honda doesn't offer and it is true they will really pull hard. They also have a great ride. I don't know about reliability with the Grizzly, though. I'm not saying that they're not reliable. I'm just saying I don't know if they're AS reliable as a Honda.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 PM

My uncle has a 660 grizz and he beats the living crap out of it and it's never failed him.Sits in the rain snow.Whatever but trust me he beats it.

Billy

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the auto or esp shift but you are right- less things to go wrong- totally a mechanical set up should be better in most any conditions. If you have any other thoughts I appreciate any feedback.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 27 times
I have seen quite a few problems with the electric shifts and have heard of people having problems with the auto, but I can't say that it's enough to worry about if you really like the ES or Auto.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4408 times
Garage
all i can say about elec shift is...the more you have to push the button..the more likely it will fail..and cause you to take it to the shop..and they kill you on repair bill..i'm with helmut on the manual shift..alot less to worry about.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode