300 FourTrax vs 350 Rancher - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
300 FourTrax vs 350 Rancher

Hello all, I am in the market for a quad for my wife. I’ve had her on a 200sx that I use for chores around the farm and she does really well on it. I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two, she likes the utility look, 2wd. She don’t want a clutch, but loved shifting so no auto. We do mostly trail riding, nothing too technical and I’m wanting to head to the dunes this summer, she don’t want to go up anything too high or steep just cruise on milder ones and not dig too much. From what I’ve heard and read the past few days they’re both extremely reliable. I don’t mind spending extra money to upgrade either to make it better suited for what we are going to do with it. I’ve read the 300’s take to mods better, Incase we need more power, but I’ve heard the rancher is a more comfortable ride which is important. Which one you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 4279 times
Garage
personally ?, i'd steer clear of the trx350 ranchers !, go with a trx300. but you may wanna grab a 4x4 trx300 model !. sand dunes don't like 2wd very well..lol. and sooner or later your gonna wish you had bought a 4wd atv. the only down side of the trx300's ?, is getting parts for it !. honda is discontinuing more and more trx300 parts every day now, where is the rancher parts are every where. i'd still pick the trx300 over the trx350 ranchers in a heart beat though !.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 AM

Liked: 2049 times
Garage
Both are extremely reliable. I know of plenty of 350 Ranchers that have hit 30-40,000km and my own is approaching 15,000km now with no major repairs other than the shift drum recall when it was still new. They are more comfortable and quite a bit faster on the top end than the 300ís, they handle better as well. The 350 Ranchers have a much more reliable rear end setup with the enclosed axle vs the 300ís design which really is the 300ís Achilles heel.
The 300ís are quite a bit more popular for mods, itís safe to say there is much more aftermarket support for the 300ís as far as upgrades go, the 350ís may be a little easier to get some OEM parts for being newer than the 300ís, but there is always aftermarket parts as well.

Anyway, both great machines, if you find a nice clean example of either one, I wouldnít hesitate to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Liked: 1 times
Thanks for the response guys. Shadetree, if you don’t mind me asking why exactly do you say to stay away from the rancher? And if Honda is cutting support to the 300 are there still other aftermarket companies building parts for it?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 11 times
I am going to pick up a 2006 Rancher 350 This Saturday with just under 3,000 miles, adult owner looks very nice. No parts available?

Last edited by wmgeorge; 03-28-2019 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
Not a member yet and may never come back because of all the pop ads and videos.

I am going to pick up a 2006 Rancher 350 This Saturday with just under 3,000 miles, adult owner looks very nice. No parts available?
if your not a member yet ?, how did you post ??. there are plenty of oem new parts around still for the trx350 ranchers, its the trx300's that parts are hard to get oem new. once you join the site ?, you shouldn't see as many ad's ?, but then again, this site has gotten worse over the years for ads !!..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho, '08 vt750c2 shadow spirit
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 AM
Supporting Member

Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Quote:

if your not a member yet ?, how did you post ??. there are plenty of oem new parts around still for the trx350 ranchers, its the trx300's that parts are hard to get oem new. once you join the site ?, you shouldn't see as many ad's ?, but then again, this site has gotten worse over the years for ads !!..lol.
I don't mind the Ads, thats the way it is but the pop up video like I said. I really don't mind paying for a Membership if it helps.
I have owned off and on Motorcycles and Snowmobiles all my life. Never owned a ATV before just making sure if something goes wrong with the 2006 I can still get parts. Thanks for the reply.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 AM

Liked: 2049 times
Garage
Quote:
Quote:

If you contribute to the site do the ads go away? Iím not sure maybe someone knows. I use an adblocker on chrome so I donít see ads anyway and there are very few on Tapatalk.

2015 Honda Rubicant FM7
- 28" Mud Bugs
- Powermadd Handguards
- ODI Grips

2016 Can-am Renegade 1000R XMR
- 31x11" Outlaws
- NPP Dual Dominators
- Monster Power Tuner + Autotune
- ECM Reflash
- TheBOM Mag+ Cams
- TwinAir Air filter
- Delrin Motor Mounts
- Aluminum Valve Covers
- Gorilla Through Shaft
- TigerTail
- Amsteel Synthetic Winch rope
- Cecco Racing Steering Stem Brace
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac102004 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

If you contribute to the site do the ads go away? Iím not sure maybe someone knows. I use an adblocker on chrome so I donít see ads anyway and there are very few on Tapatalk.

i'm not sure mac ?, but I know once you sign up/join ?, then the ads are not as bad. but like I said, here lately, the ads are out of control !!..lol.
mac102004 likes this.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 1407 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't mind the Ads, thats the way it is but the pop up video like I said. I really don't mind paying for a Membership if it helps.
I have owned off and on Motorcycles and Snowmobiles all my life. Never owned a ATV before just making sure if something goes wrong with the 2006 I can still get parts. Thanks for the reply.
Even carbs for the 04-06 are easy to get. I have an 02, 05 and 06 Rancher. They are great rigs. The trx300 are simpler and more nimble; the Ranchers are larger and have more power. I like the both very much. The trx300 has the 12v special accessory plug; 02 has the standard 12v power plug but the later models donítóa disappointment

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-parts

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in