Cylinder re-sleeve 1991 TRX250X - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By SlammedRanger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Cylinder re-sleeve 1991 TRX250X

Hello everyone, I'm stuck on my 91 trx, have to either buy a $375 top end kit, comes with a Wiseco +.50mm OS piston and rings, a bored and honed cylinder to match the piston and the gaskets to go with it, my other option is to re-sleeve it with L.A. sleeves h5028 and a Wiseco oem 74 mm piston and take it to a machine shop to be bored and honed, the top end gasket kit as well. The sleeve costs $80, the piston $125, gaskets $20, and I have no idea what the boring would cost. So im looking at a bolt on kit for 375 or a complete diy for 225 plus boring. What's gonna be cheaper? Is it difficult to re-sleeve with heat, mallets, and wood? Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1269 times
Garage
I dont know this 100% because it is possible that the LA sleeve is bigger outer diameter then stock but just bored inner diameter to STD bore. But if the sleeve is the same putting a sleeve in a cylinder is very easy. Stick it on the grill for 10 to 15 minutes and the sleeve will fall right out. May take a very light tap with a mallet and 2x4. Then freeze the replacement sleeve and it will slide right in while the cylinder is still warm.(Dont do it while its hot) Make it flush at the top and your good to go. There will be a rubber o-ring around the base of the sleeve you will want to remove or it will melt on the grill. The topend gasket kit should come with one. I would suggest a good quality gasket kit like cometic or oem. The other brand headgaskets will be junk usually. My .02
_Wilson_ and LedFTed like this.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list

Last edited by SlammedRanger; 02-12-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedRanger View Post
I dont know this 100% because it is possible that the LA sleeve is bigger outer diameter then stock but just bored inner diameter to STD bore. But if the sleeve is the same putting a sleeve in a cylinder is very easy. Stick it on the grill for 10 to 15 minutes and the sleeve will fall right out. May take a very light tap with a mallet and 2x4. Then freeze the replacement sleeve and it will slide right in while the cylinder is still warm.(Dont do it while its hot) Make it flush at the top and your good to go. There will be a rubber o-ring around the base of the sleeve you will want to remove or it will melt on the grill. The topend gasket kit should come with one. I would suggest a good quality gasket kit like cometic or oem. The other brand headgaskets will be junk usually. My .02
I went ahead and purchased it, it was only $76 shipped. Depending on the dimensions I get off the old piston I might just run with that, still looked good the last time I pulled her apart. Thanks for the .02!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, L.A. sleeves ensures the OD to be set to honda spec.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1269 times
Garage
Your welcome! Always glad to help!

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Update; I got the sleeve and installation was very easy, I took it to a local machine shop and had it bored and honed to match a 74mm 12:1 from wiseco the bore cost me 40 the piston was old stock on eBay for 76 also a nice deal on the sleeve at 81 and I went with the high end gasket kit for 60 but all in all I'm very happy with it she screams with that 12:1 plus I have a buddy who brought me 5 gal of aviation I mixed with my 110, seems to be the perfect rating for her.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in