2001 Honda Foreman 450s - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

2001 Honda Foreman 450s

Everyone from the forum saved me on the last 4 wheeler I was looking at so figured I would throw up the current one I'm looking at.

2001 Honda Foreman 450 S...asking price is $2200. 250 hours with 1395 miles. Looks like it is in good shape. Has footrest and handguard accessories also. I can't figure out how to post pics so I'll just link the marketplace post...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...93923164768063

Whats your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Liked: 2060 times
looks like a clean ATV, but these days, everyone knows to wash things and tell you it was drivin by grand ma ONLY to get the mail LOL

didn;t see where it listed how many hours and miles

if possible, I'd take a compression tester, check that, and also, if possible, get atv off the ground and check wheel bearings, all the more so the left rear side, as that is a known weak link on these models!
once they go bad, they lead to destroyed rear axles in short order, due to water gets in and rusts splines off axle real fast!

then the rest of basic's on used anything
look for bent. broken, signs of being rolled and such
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Liked: 445 times
Garage
Everything @mrbb said.

Wow, if those are original plastics that thing was kept inside. Also, I could not see any damage to the plastics and the marks are all intact. But, is that just lipstick on the pig??

One thing I like is that the guy selling it has several other machines. It looks like he works on them?? If so, he should be knowledgeable about it and, hopefully, be honest about the condition.

I think it's worth a visit to Florence to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Liked: 3242 times
That one doesn't look bad. Kinda high for a 450 IMO. The 450's are great bikes, but lack good brakes and that 01 is full time 4wd so driving one all day will wear you out.

You can swap disc brakes on it, and add a 424 switch out, or even an 02-04 OEM selectable front diff, but those mods will add substantially to your purchase price.

That said, the 450's seem to be the last of the more or less bulletproof Hondas.

I'd check it out. See how it sounds, and check what mrbb said. Most people on bookface are negotiable to some degree on price. See if you can get him down a little.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Hours and miles were per our conversation, I'll check on the gauge when I get there. I read about that left wheel bearing so I'll be sure to look at that.

I'm not really a trail rider, this is just for the farm. Thanks for the idea on the brakes, probably do that swap for sure.

The guy said he's flexible on the price. NADA has average retail at $1800 so I'll try and get it for that price. I'm going to look at it today

Thanks for everyone's input
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6780 times
Garage
Looks like a $1,500 atv around here , maybe since it has nice tires and plastics , $1,600
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
looks like a clean ATV, but these days, everyone knows to wash things and tell you it was drivin by grand ma ONLY to get the mail LOL

didn;t see where it listed how many hours and miles

if possible, I'd take a compression tester, check that, and also, if possible, get atv off the ground and check wheel bearings, all the more so the left rear side, as that is a known weak link on these models!
once they go bad, they lead to destroyed rear axles in short order, due to water gets in and rusts splines off axle real fast!

then the rest of basic's on used anything
look for bent. broken, signs of being rolled and such
mrbb; 250 hrs, with 1,395 miles, at top of thread^^
does that weak link include 2000es models? it could explain some things i seen on mine, after i got it. i paid $3,000.oo in 2008. it had 750 hours, an 1,200 miles, best i can remember. i have to double check the hour figure. its wrote down somewhere, maybe here. mine was used by a farmer, up in indiana. he just used it to check fence, and tend to cattle, so the dealer told me.
it could be true, , least it wasnt drove to church on sunday, by an old women.
the hours, could have been 450hrs, at 1,200 miles, an now its 750 hrs, at 5000 miles. the display is getting hard to read. i have to check some of my old threads. 450 hrs seems more realistic, with 1,200 miles.

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 02-02-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: just me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode