New 2019 TRX420FM1 (Some info/thoughts on mine) - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By billy5221

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 6 times
New 2019 TRX420FM1 (Some info/thoughts on mine)

Hi folks just wanted to list some info on my new bike so hopefully those looking to buy one can get a better idea of what they want, and also to give my initial impression of the bike!

So its a 2019 Honda Rancher 420 (Red) bought brand new. It was on sale from 7499$ CAD to 6999$ CAD + taxes, freight, PDI, tire tax, anti-theft, registration, etc came out to about 8600$.

I really like the feel of the bike initially, it sits higher than my 400AT (although that may be just new vs old suspension), the power is incredible for such a small bike. I've ridden my cousins Grizzly 700 and it doesn't feel nearly as jumpy and torquey as the Rancher.

Its a 5 speed manual with neutral and reverse. Getting used to the new reverse method was different for sure. Im used to the old shifter on the side for Reverse, Neutral and Drive, however this one just has the footshifter with a small lever up on the left handlebar above the break lever. To activate reverse you pull it in along with the break lever, then click the footshifter down (just as if you were shifting down) simultaneously and it will go into reverse. Getting out of reverse just requires you to shift up (getting out of reverse does not require the small lever).

Another change from my 400 is this one is liquid cooled which can be good/bad. Good because it will keep the bike cooler, the maintenance cycles lower, and the lifespan longer. Bad because its an additional thing you must monitor, if your head gasket goes bad, coolant or other fluids could leak into/out of the cylinder.

The looks of this machine are really sharp. Its got a well lit HUD that can display custom startup messages, fuel level, km, trip km, hours, trip hours, maint. interval, and a few other things im sure im missing. The single taillight is something I'm not as much of a fan of. I like having the dual rear taillights, however I can live with it. A nice upgrade they made which I don't know if it was available on older models is the running taillight; when the bike is running it has a running taillight that is always lit up even when the brake is not being pressed. This is handy for night riding with other people (so they can see you all the time, not only when braking). The headlights are very bright and Im hoping they are sealed better so they won't fill with dirt and water so quickly and easily like my 400AT.

This model is SRA. I chose that over IRS as I don't do any insane hillclimbs or steep terrain riding, plus the amount of maintenance with IRS is significantly higher (replacing CV boots, axles, rear diff (final drive is more durable)).

For brakes, I will probably be replacing the front drum brakes as soon as they are at their maintenance interval. The drum brakes aren't nearly as efficient as disk brakes. Rear brakes I will probably leave. May delete them if they start causing issues.

Lastly, the bike is Fuel Injected, which is really nice for all year riding without having to tune much (and not having to jet at all!) which also means no fuel shutoff valve, one less thing to forget at the end of a ride!

Things I'll be adding down the road include a two up, better tires, a winch, possibly a small light bar, and kolpin fuel can holsters.

To conclude, the TRX420FM1 is a solid bike that I'd recommend to even seasoned riders.

Pros: Good power, fuel injected, lighting upgrades, fairing design improvements, ECM/electronics relocation (less prone to moisture damaged), fair price.

Cons: No standard 12v accessory outlet, battery hard to access, only 1 rear taillight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50309797_1559774764166115_1044631081128558592_n.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	133500   Click image for larger version

Name:	honda squad.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	133502  

06 Rancher TRX400FGA - Keeper 2500lb winch, 1.5" snorkel kit, 25" Dirthooks, 30W 7" LED Lightbar, 2x30W 2x2" Cube LEDS, Reverse Lights, Running Taillights, Pyle 8" Soundtube, 50" Kimpex Straight Blade Plow w/Custom 2500lb Winch Angling System

19 Rancher TRX420FM1 - Bone Stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Liked: 39 times
Looks sharp, there are nice looking atvs, it already has front disk brakes, dont know if you know that already because you mentioned something about replacing the front drum brakes,
misterclean59 likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM

Liked: 129 times
I have a TRX420FM as well but mine is a 2012. Mine has factory front disk brakes as well as a fuel shut off valve. I could see Honda not putting a shutoff valve on the newer bikes but i highly doubt they went backwards and put drums on the front. Are you sure its drums? If so, horrible move Honda.

Wayne

2012 Rancher 420: 25" Maxxis Zillas - Polished 12" ITP Wheels - Custom Retrofitted 5000K HID Projector Headlights With Amber LED Parking Lights - Dual 9 Single Row LED Light Bars - KFI Winch Mount - Badlands 2500lb Winch With Disconnect, 6000lb Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead - Dry Box Mounted On Fender - Custom Stainless Steel Front Basket Rack - Ceramic Coated
Next Mod: Front & Rear Basket Racks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in