Anybody ever bought a bike withOUT a title? - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Liked: 128 times
Anybody ever bought a bike withOUT a title?

The Rancher 420 I bought a couple months ago the owner didn’t have a title. He said the guy he got it from never registered it which is why the original owner never got a title and interns the reason he didn’t have one.

I had a cop friend of mine run the vin and it was not reported stolen and he confirmed it was never registered. He couldn’t even tell me the original owners name. I did get a Signed & Notirized Bill Of Sale with all the info from the bike listed on it at the time of purchase though.

It’s not a huge concern if it’s not possible because it’s basically just a hunting camp bike but I’m curious if it’s possible to get a title for it. I’ve been debating putting insurance on it for theft reasons because I plan to leave it at my hunting camp during hunting season but I’ve read that I need a title in order to get it insured.

Info, Thoughts?

Wayne

2012 Rancher 420: 25" Maxxis Zillas - Polished 12" ITP Wheels - Custom Retrofitted 5000K HID Projector Headlights With Amber LED Parking Lights - Dual 9Ē Single Row LED Light Bars - KFI Winch Mount - Badlands 2500lb Winch With Disconnect, 6000lb Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead - Dry Box Mounted On Fender - Custom Stainless Steel Front Basket Rack - Ceramic Coated
Next Mod: Front & Rear Basket Racks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Liked: 249 times
The three I've bought didn't have a title, two from Mississippi and one in Arkansas. Checking the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, along with a bill of sale, is all you need. Arkansas doesn't require registration and I'm not sure if they'll even issue a title. I planned to check into that once I've completed the builds.
Jeepwm69 likes this.

'87 TRX350D
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:05 PM

Liked: 25 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post
The three I've bought didn't have a title, two from Mississippi and one in Arkansas. Checking the VIN to make sure it's not stolen, along with a bill of sale, is all you need. Arkansas doesn't require registration and I'm not sure if they'll even issue a title. I planned to check into that once I've completed the builds.

Bingo. Bill of sale and VIN #ís are acceptable in LA as well. My bike was bought this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post

Bingo. Bill of sale and VIN #ís are acceptable in LA as well. My bike was bought this way

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:13 AM

Liked: 538 times
Every ATV owner in Minnesota who bought theirs here has. New or used. No titles here. Some dealerships hand out token "ownership cards".

The DNR handles trail registrations though so most dealers do that from the start. Can be switched owners at any point in time though, and some people don't register theirs at all.

2004 TRX400FA (Rancher 400AT)
MotionPro twist throttle kit
12" handlebar mounted light bar
rear rack wheelchair carrier
Cycle Country 48" plow w/ KFI hybrid mount
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
23" Titan 489's all around (saving clutch)

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS

Others in the family: '04 TRX250TE, '85 TRX250 Utility (X2), '05 TRX90, '06 TRX500FA, '95 TRX400FW,' 88 TRX125

Last edited by wheelsquad; 07-31-2018 at 01:16 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:29 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 6175 times
Garage
I think to get the title legally , you would need to find the original owner and do a double title transfer , from him to the guy you bought it from and then to you , also you would need to hope the original owner bought it in Louisiana and paid the taxes on it when he bought it , if he bought it in Mississippi for say and didn't pay Louisiana taxes , then the original owner would have to pay the taxes on the original sale price when it is transfered
Jeepwm69 likes this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
I think to get the title legally , you would need to find the original owner and do a double title transfer , from him to the guy you bought it from and then to you , also you would need to hope the original owner bought it in Louisiana and paid the taxes on it when he bought it , if he bought it in Mississippi for say and didn't pay Louisiana taxes , then the original owner would have to pay the taxes on the original sale price when it is transfered

Fishfiles is correct. No need to go through the time and money it would take to get it titled when a bill of sale makes you legal

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:34 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadonist View Post
Quote:

Fishfiles is correct. No need to go through the time and money it would take to get it titled when a bill of sale makes you legal

Seadonist, are you also from Louisiana , I think that is the way it goes around here --------there is some type of vintage title process you can go thru with cars and motorcycles , where you pay a company to do the paper work for you , i don't know if it also could apply to an ATV and doubt it , cause most were never titled when new , I think it was around 2001 or so when they started titling every one of them here ----I think the way it went before that was you only got a title if you financed or payed to get the title , which no one seemed to do back then
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadonist View Post
Quote:

Seadonist, are you also from Louisiana , I think that is the way it goes around here --------there is some type of vintage title process you can go thru with cars and motorcycles , where you pay a company to do the paper work for you , i don't know if it also could apply to an ATV and doubt it , cause most were never titled when new , I think it was around 2001 or so when they started titling every one of them here ----I think the way it went before that was you only got a title if you financed or payed to get the title , which no one seemed to do back then

New Orleans. What you described about sales taxes having to be paid retroactively from previous sales is correct. The state wants their cut every time a bike, boat, vehicle, trailer, RV, etc. is sold. Iím sure one could get permitted for state owned land trail rides with just a BOS as well, in LA at least

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:18 AM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Garage
A new way they get their cut , when you sell something , you can't just say $100 cause it needed some repairs , they want the taxes on what it should be worth by year , so for you to sell something for less than blue book you need to pay a certified appraiser to access a valve to it and get a written assessment from him

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode