Anybody ever bought a bike withOUT a title? - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 PM

Liked: 25 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.

It used to be like that here as well, but a new state administration changed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by retro; 08-01-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: lang in quoted text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1323 times
Garage
In ohio as long as the quad has never been titled in ohio before. You can give them a bill of sale from a no-title state. I generally use south carolina as my go to. They will then hand you an ohio title after you do an out of state inspection which is like 3 bucks and takes 5 minutes. They just walk out with you from the dmv and check the vin number and write it down and sign the paper. Have used the method for many quads when i was buying fixing and selling. General rule of thumb in my area is they sell for around 500 dollars to 1000 dollars more with a title. So it was always well worth the leg work.
retro likes this.

07 416ex
To many mods to list in signature(ran out of space lol)

Check out garage for full list

Last edited by SlammedRanger; 07-31-2018 at 08:22 PM.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:29 AM

Liked: 2146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck0fDeath View Post
States I've lived in calculated sales tax from the price listed on the bill of sale. A number that's easily fudged, if one were so inclined. Of course, I only seem to ever buy old stuff. Good luck getting published market pricing on a 25+ year old ATV or boat, for instance.
PA used to be like this, what ever price you said on bill of sale, would be taxed, BUT since SO many folks would LIE< on the stated price, , the state felt it was getting screwed too often, and now if the sale price is LOW< they go by book value
so they get there share of taxes ?
God forbid they don't get every penny they can suck out of a sale, or just the fact every darn time these things ell they get taxed over and over, taxes like this suck!
just a over taxed society IMO we are any more!

Last edited by retro; 08-01-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: lang in quoted text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 488 times
honda value

hey; just look it up on line. put year, brand, model,value.. if i can do it, you should have no problem. you may have to add a bit of the description, as i always leave parts out of what im saying..

clymers manual,service manual..
"what a good giff, the good lord gee us,not to see ourselves,as others see us"
hard to talk to morons. even more so, when related..
"ya should get 3 people ta smile or laugh every day" all will feel better
"sometimes, when drinking 5 or 6 bud's, nipping JB, Jim Beam, cinnamon in between, i start thinking sideways,,i have too though, ta match the way i walk" ed
"those that dont study history, are doomed to repeat it"
"I HOPE i aint wrote nutting else stupid" "funniest comedy dont need curse words" "teach how to think, not what to" ed
"Genius can be measured,not stupid" Albert Einstein
"when you get to old to learn, then what good are you" ed
i havent done friends list,if i do, R the rest not friends?
2000 450es TRX
2 grass hog 4x4s
sum humor adds up

Last edited by LedFTed; 08-01-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM

Liked: 3339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
they get taxed over and over, taxes like this suck!
This is my problem. If sales tax was paid when the item was new, you can't tax it again!

In Arkansas farm equipment is exempt from sales tax, so luckily the one new bike I've bought was exempt since I use it working on the farm.

And Fish, I have USAA. Used to be an awesome company, but has gotten progressively worse over the years. They SAY I'm covered under homeowners, but I have a feeling if I ever try to file a claim I'll have to do a lot of fighting to get paid.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiles View Post
Jeep , I need to either get the name of your company for homeowners or move to Arkansas as my insurance told me the atv's are not covered unless I add a separate policy , we pay enough already $2,000 a year for homeowners and $500 for flood
I'm paying about 15-20% of my income for various insurance now. The sad thing is, I have liability only on the Jeeps, truck, and my Accord. Only the wife's Mazda has full coverage. Homeowners is a racket. I'm getting screwed there bad. Then health insurance added to it.

I do carry much more liability than the state minimum, but in today's litigious society, every time you leave the house you're at risk of a frivolous lawsuit, and given how far we've fallen as a society, you're likely to lose.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Liked: 2146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:
This is my problem. If sales tax was paid when the item was new, you can't tax it again!

In Arkansas farm equipment is exempt from sales tax, so luckily the one new bike I've bought was exempt since I use it working on the farm.

And Fish, I have USAA. Used to be an awesome company, but has gotten progressively worse over the years. They SAY I'm covered under homeowners, but I have a feeling if I ever try to file a claim I'll have to do a lot of fighting to get paid.
many things can be bought and NOT taxed for a farmer, BUT the problem ends up when you LEAVE the farm with these items, unless using them on farms that are being farmed by OWNER of these items, it can end up causing issue's
so if an accident or?? ever happens, you end up maybe getting busted for the taxes,(or tax fraud pending how much of a ?? someone wants to push things) and or just other issue's
if your referring to USAA insurance covering things, thru home owners, again, IF on YOUR land that the policy covers, MAYBE< but if off property, I doubt the policy would cover anything
even here in PA< any ATV NOT used on your OWN property MUST legally be insured and registered, as as soon as you leave your property with it, even to ride on a friends private property, your breaking the law doing so
STUPID and all, but is what the world is today, all about the small details that can screw you is needed !
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwm69 View Post
Quote:

many things can be bought and NOT taxed for a farmer, BUT the problem ends up when you LEAVE the farm with these items, unless using them on farms that are being farmed by OWNER of these items, it can end up causing issue's
so if an accident or?? ever happens, you end up maybe getting busted for the taxes,(or tax fraud pending how much of a ?? someone wants to push things) and or just other issue's
if your referring to USAA insurance covering things, thru home owners, again, IF on YOUR land that the policy covers, MAYBE< but if off property, I doubt the policy would cover anything
even here in PA< any ATV NOT used on your OWN property MUST legally be insured and registered, as as soon as you leave your property with it, even to ride on a friends private property, your breaking the law doing so
STUPID and all, but is what the world is today, all about the small details that can screw you is needed !
Eh, here in Arkansas we're still not regulated to that extent.

Honestly, I don't think people in the South would allow that much government overreach. Would probably start another war.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:06 PM

Liked: 211 times
Garage
I have bought many quads and dirt bikes from Wisconsin and Indiana that were not issued a title at time of sale. Not sure if it's different in those states now since I don't live there. Anyway, I take my bill of sale to the DMV and write 2 checks to the Illinois SOS totaling $55 and I get an Illinois title in the mail a few weeks later. Looks just like a passenger car/truck title with the VIN on it and printed on fancy watermarked paper. I've done it probably 10 times in the years I've been flipping quads.

Rob

I've owned many Hondas over the years, with 2, 3 and 4 wheels.
Iím always buying and selling projects and parts

Last edited by dr. feelgood; 08-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Liked: 6 times
Garage
Depends on what state you are in. Most of the others on here live in states where titles are not required. Titles are required in Indiana, not having one will make your ATV difficult to sell. I had to pass on some out of state ATV's because they did not have a title.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode